• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Video reveals G20 police assault on man who died

Shocking if true - as the police said they wasn't anywhere near the bloke 8O :? :twisted: lets see the Met get out of this one! :wink:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/apr/07/video-g20-police-assault

"The Guardian obtained this footage of Ian Tomlinson at a G20 protest in London, shortly before he died. It shows Tomlinson, who was not part of the demonstration, being assaulted from behind and pushed to the ground by baton-wielding police Link to this video Dramatic footage obtained by the Guardian shows that the man who died at last week's G20 protests in London was attacked from behind and thrown to the ground by a baton–wielding police officer in riot gear.

Moments after the assault on Ian Tomlinson was captured on video, he suffered a heart attack and died.

The Guardian is preparing to hand a dossier of evidence to the police complaints watchdog.

It sheds new light on the events surrounding the death of the 47-year-old newspaper seller, who had been on his way home from work when he was confronted by lines of riot police near the Bank of England"

I usually support the police, and was quite happy to see them give the Crusties a shoeing last week. But from what I've seen of this video, the actions of the officers cannot be justified.

By all accounts, the departed was a civilian with no connection to the Crusties and no previous. Just a bloke trying to get home after work.

Tragic. :evil:

This is astonishing!

Each week I attend a church for Sunday Service, ten yards from where this man died. Last Sunday his family and friends attended the Service and the Rector dedicated the Service to the man's memory.

What is going on in this frantically awful Blair/Brown shambles of a country?

Requiescat in Pace.

if ever a charge is made and if it ever gets to court, the policeman will start crying in the witness box, and the jury will find him not guilty
pathetic

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Bl00dy hell.

Not only have the police really shown themselves up (again) and given the whole force a bad reputation, the guy who shoved that bloke should go down for this.

At the very best, it's an unprovoked assault which led to his death, and thus, a manslaughter charge should be laid.

Well the Met have really brought this one on themselves, not only the Copper who assaulted and killed an innocent man trying to get home after a day's work (I recognise him from his News Stand at Monument) but doubtless there are a number of Police witness statements to be checked out too. Those other dog handlers cannot fail to have seen that, but I wonder what their statements say!

This one is going to be difficult to whitewash with the IPCC.

Biped said:
At the very best, it's an unprovoked assault which led to his death, and thus, a manslaughter charge should be laid.
Should be, won't be. Mystic Meg tells me his mates will follow the precedent set by the Met firearms teams. The slightest suspicion that one of their own will go down for his actions while policing public order and they'll chuck teddy out the pram: the 'Ministry of Justice' will cave in to them, rather than see its ability to control large demonstrations in the capital reduced.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
I agree.. the policeman didnt over -react he took an action that no one else in the situation would have done. He wasnt being threatened, there was plenty of support. There wrent any protestors close. Just a baton strike and a huge push to the ground from behind. No retaliation. The man died within minutes so its fair to assume that the heart attack was provoked by the assault.

Again the Metpol disinform, as with JCDM. I do hope that this one will be followed through properly instead of another cover-up. I doubt it though. If Metpol are spinning the matter then it may be a hard fight.

Biped said:
Bl00dy hell.

Not only have the police really shown themselves up (again) and given the whole force a bad reputation, the guy who shoved that bloke should go down for this.

Don't be ridiculous.

Its obviously a health and safety violation and I can assure you that serious action will be taken and a suitable fine imposed.

So, who do you think will be going onto long-term sick (due to stress)shortly to be followed with early retirement on health grounds?

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
IT_Guy said:
Biped said:
Bl00dy hell.

Don't be ridiculous.

Its obviously a health and safety violation and I can assure you that serious action will be taken and a suitable fine imposed.

So, who do you think will be going onto long-term sick (due to stress)shortly to be followed with early retirement on health grounds?
And I thought I was cynical.

I dont disagree with you though. I wonder if the police have notified it under RIDDOR????

Minetapemuncher said:
Looks like one at least, will have his career prospects written on a postage stamp, if not worse.
Tragic is the right word werewolf
And he will deserve it, mate. In fact, if the worst that happens to him is being booted out of the Met, he should count himself very lucky.

I'm all for "muscular" law enforcement. But this was a cowardly attack on a man who could not possibly have posed any threat at the time he was struck - and then shoved face-first on to the street.

FFS, Muslim fanatics can shout threats of terrorism and call for people to be murdered and not get so much as a bruise. But a working class bloke who has commited no crime is killed just because some copper lets the red mist get the better of him?

What a fcuking country! :shakefist: :x

I must admit that it does look bad.

At the expense of sounding a bit biased, and also with a bit of devils advocate, there's a few things on the video that I've noticed.

First of all just because someone says "I just want to get past because I'm on my way to work" doesn't mean that they're telling the truth. I know this from personal experience.

Secondly, If you're a normal bloke who's just minding his own business and walking down a street where it's kicked off would you decide to just stand there while two OB armed with land sharks, and several others in PSU kit, advance towards you whilst telling you to get back? Or would you think it's prudent to perhaps do as they ask and maybe complain later if they've held you up.

Thirdly, how do we know that this bloke hadn't already been told in a reasonable manner why he couldn't go past the police line, and rightfully unhappy about this, then decide to bimble away with your hands in your pockets in a deliberately slow manner? The video footage doesn't show what happened beforehand.

In relation to the OB saying that they didn't believe that he'd been hit/pushed/assaulted. I dare say that several hundred officers used force on various persons during the day and it could take some time for it to become apparent that this particular bloke was struck. I myself have been in similar situations and we don't have a "who hit who" chat at the end of the event. If the chap had a clutcher some distance away the officers involved probably didn't know about it until it hit the news.

Having watched the video it would seem to me that he had every opportunity to move away but chose to do so by walking as slowly as possible just to be awkward. I'm not saying that he deserved to get pushed over with quite that amount of force, and he certainly didn't deserve to die but maybe if he did what he was told/asked etc he wouldn't have got struck with that baton which MAY have led to him having a clutcher.

Personally, I would have just pushed him along, without a baton, to speed him up and away from the dogs which are generally nasty feckers.

I know that some people will think I'm being defensive over this, I'm not, but just looking from the other side of the fence. As most arrsers who contribute on plod threads know, I don't just blindly say that the OB are great as we're not by a long shot, but I think it's a bit early for the outrage bus to get straight into 5th.

On another note. The Guardians video isn't going to help with any prosecution as if it's used in any court proceedings any decent lawyer will say it'll prejucide any case against the officer who pushed him.

...and wait out for the slagging.

smartascarrots said:
Biped said:
Should be, won't be. Mystic Meg tells me his mates will follow the precedent set by the Met firearms teams. The slightest suspicion that one of their own will go down for his actions while policing public order and they'll chuck teddy out the pram: the 'Ministry of Justice' will cave in to them, rather than see its ability to control large demonstrations in the capital reduced.
Let them; if they are so stupid as to feel loyality to the thug who killed an innocent, unarmed man - then they can hand in their kit and fcuk off.

In today's economic climate, I doubt it would be particularly difficult to recruit replacements.

Christ, I'd rather have the bloody Fingermen on the streets than any copper who thinks the actions of that moron can be justified. :evil:

Rant ends.

Latest Threads