Video reveals G20 police assault on man who died

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dangerousdave, Apr 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Shocking if true - as the police said they wasn't anywhere near the bloke 8O :? :twisted: lets see the Met get out of this one! :wink:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/apr/07/video-g20-police-assault

"The Guardian obtained this footage of Ian Tomlinson at a G20 protest in London, shortly before he died. It shows Tomlinson, who was not part of the demonstration, being assaulted from behind and pushed to the ground by baton-wielding police Link to this video Dramatic footage obtained by the Guardian shows that the man who died at last week's G20 protests in London was attacked from behind and thrown to the ground by a baton–wielding police officer in riot gear.

Moments after the assault on Ian Tomlinson was captured on video, he suffered a heart attack and died.

The Guardian is preparing to hand a dossier of evidence to the police complaints watchdog.

It sheds new light on the events surrounding the death of the 47-year-old newspaper seller, who had been on his way home from work when he was confronted by lines of riot police near the Bank of England"

2. Just shown on beeb, looks like a couple of coppers have a very sticky future

3. Having seen the video, it's got to be a charge of manslaughter at the very least!

P-T

4. I usually support the police, and was quite happy to see them give the Crusties a shoeing last week. But from what I've seen of this video, the actions of the officers cannot be justified.

By all accounts, the departed was a civilian with no connection to the Crusties and no previous. Just a bloke trying to get home after work.

Tragic. :evil:

5. Looks like common assault to me, no justification for it, plain and simple.

6. This is astonishing!

Each week I attend a church for Sunday Service, ten yards from where this man died. Last Sunday his family and friends attended the Service and the Rector dedicated the Service to the man's memory.

What is going on in this frantically awful Blair/Brown shambles of a country?

Requiescat in Pace.

7. if ever a charge is made and if it ever gets to court, the policeman will start crying in the witness box, and the jury will find him not guilty
    pathetic

8. Looks like one at least, will have his career prospects written on a postage stamp, if not worse.
    Tragic is the right word werewolf

9. Really?, Psychic are we? :roll:

10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Bl00dy hell.

Not only have the police really shown themselves up (again) and given the whole force a bad reputation, the guy who shoved that bloke should go down for this.

At the very best, it's an unprovoked assault which led to his death, and thus, a manslaughter charge should be laid.

11. Nah ..... psychiatric maybe

12. Well the Met have really brought this one on themselves, not only the Copper who assaulted and killed an innocent man trying to get home after a day's work (I recognise him from his News Stand at Monument) but doubtless there are a number of Police witness statements to be checked out too. Those other dog handlers cannot fail to have seen that, but I wonder what their statements say!

This one is going to be difficult to whitewash with the IPCC.

13. Should be, won't be. Mystic Meg tells me his mates will follow the precedent set by the Met firearms teams. The slightest suspicion that one of their own will go down for his actions while policing public order and they'll chuck teddy out the pram: the 'Ministry of Justice' will cave in to them, rather than see its ability to control large demonstrations in the capital reduced.

14. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

I agree.. the policeman didnt over -react he took an action that no one else in the situation would have done. He wasnt being threatened, there was plenty of support. There wrent any protestors close. Just a baton strike and a huge push to the ground from behind. No retaliation. The man died within minutes so its fair to assume that the heart attack was provoked by the assault.

Again the Metpol disinform, as with JCDM. I do hope that this one will be followed through properly instead of another cover-up. I doubt it though. If Metpol are spinning the matter then it may be a hard fight.

15. Don't be ridiculous.

Its obviously a health and safety violation and I can assure you that serious action will be taken and a suitable fine imposed.

So, who do you think will be going onto long-term sick (due to stress)shortly to be followed with early retirement on health grounds?