Video of machine gun overheating

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Run_Charlie!, Dec 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A nicely de-rifled barrel. The QM will be pleased!

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

We did that at Sennelager in the winter of 83, 2 of us with a spare barrel each and a crate of about 2700 rounds and instructions to bring none back. We were firing fire support from the flanks for a milan pln defense shoot at night. It was snowing and we were burning belts of 200, changing barrels and watching the snow melt and the grass below catch fire from the barrels. I cut a tree or two down that night. Armourer said they couldnt even be used for blank barrels as we had sh@gged them good and proper!

3. Seem to remember you could end up with a runaway gun if you didn't change the barrel before it got red hot because the round self ignited as it chambered - was this true? Anybody have it happen to em?

I was a spotter for SF gun teams on one exercise, as I was a sniper at the time and I remember them practicing the run away gun drill by essentially break the belt.

4. Twist the belt, but remember to hold BEHIND the twist, not IN FRONT of it.

Er, happened to a mate of mine. Called Dave, yeah Dave. Or Harry.
    No, these scars are due to a fishing accident....

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The round would go off when chambered regardless of heat as it fired from an open bolt! One funny effect top see was a huge flame where your gas parts were supposed to be!