Video Links

Hello CO's and Mods:

Just a question:
I can not get video links from Facebook to play.
Links from YouTube work fine.

I am using MacBook Pro
Mac OS X Mojave v. 10.14.4
Safari v. 12.1

Any suggestions appreciated

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Which method are you using to try and upload? Is it "insert link" or "insert/media"?

@FrosteeMARIA -

Sorry, I missed your response for nearly three months.
Noe of the things you mentioned is the issue, I am not trying to post links from Facebook. I want to view links put into threads that are from Facebook, based on the "F" logo in the corner. If I click on the picture it does not bring up the video, just very briefly does something and reverts to the image in the thread.

Is there any way to view the videos? Most of the ones I have clicked are in the "cats-feline funnies" or the "ARRSE Kennel Club" threads

@DavidBOC - seconded. Something about the videos linked to from FB is weird with Safari on a Mac. It's not every FB video, some work OK. Other video sources like youtube work fine, Just FB. Those that don't work show the preview OK, but then when one presses "play", it doesn't. It spins the "I'm doing something" wheel, and then goes back to the preview.

It's also specific to Safari, they work fine on Google Chrome. Facebook itself works fine on Safari, including embedded videos.

It looks like some issue with either xenforo or FB itself perhaps discombobulating the video links in such a manner that Safari kicks them out. But Chrome doesn't, and Safari plays them from FB just fine. Most odd.

@DavidBOC - seconded. Something about the videos linked to from FB is weird with Safari on a Mac. It's not every FB video, some work OK. Other video sources like youtube work fine, Just FB. Those that don't work show the preview OK, but then when one presses "play", it doesn't. It spins the "I'm doing something" wheel, and then goes back to the preview.

It's also specific to Safari, they work fine on Google Chrome. Facebook itself works fine on Safari, including embedded videos.

It looks like some issue with either xenforo or FB itself perhaps discombobulating the video links in such a manner that Safari kicks them out. But Chrome doesn't, and Safari plays them from FB just fine. Most odd.
exactly my experience too. . I can see the FB videos fine on Safari from the FB site but they fail on ARRSE, so is suspect it is a quirk of the ARRSE software.
Oddly, The work fine if I am on ARRSE using Firefox or Chrome browsers. I always use Safari though, I have the other browsers only to check web pages I created for my church. I got elected to the parish council and volunteered to create parish history pages for the church website.
Changing browsers just to view one video is a PITA.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
I'll have a look at this on Safari - not a browser I usually use but I'll have a dig about and see what I can find :)

edit - Guess I'll have to hand this one over to another Mac user - Safari browser doesn't work well at all on a Windows machine! The post I found with a facebook video link doesn't even appear on Safari browser, just a blank space where the post is supposed to be... oh well!

Last edited:

Latest Threads