Video filmed by skydiver of own double canopy failure

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by jumpinjarhead, Sep 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the event of a double canopy failure, always remember to raise your arms slighly parted and cross your legs with your left ankle over your right ankle.

It doesn't increase your chances of survival, but it makes it easier to screw you out of the ground.
  2. Very true. :D
  3. What a lucky bastard to survive that
  4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

He should have paid fucking attention when being taught to pro-pack.
    Apart from deploying when very unstable he was probably playing the Sky God and dumping low.

Skydving's great, it it's a sport that lets you know when you've fucked up.
  5. Very true--we had a fellow in our club who was trying for some kind of record number of jumps in a given period. As the day wore on, he got more and more careless and absorbed with the record etc. Jumpmaster was a pal of his and caught the fever paving the way a "perfect storm" of mistakes. Jumper hopped aboard, talking the ear off the JM, climbed to altitude, still talking, exited aircraft, good arch, watched altimeter, reached to pull and realized no chute. (His rig was one with reserve on back).

Speed Kills.
  6. Dont understand what you mean, JJ. How could he not have been wearing a chute? Explain, please? Not a jumper myself.
  7. I find it hard to explain other than the thrill of the moment and overconfidence mixed with Murphy's Law. I was not there that day so did not see everything first hand.
  8. still seems strange..

even a fool would realise that he had not got chute on..

and no i dont jump..
    TERRA FIRMA FOR ME..the more firmer the less terror..
  9. Seen the video. Poor sky diving drills all round. He was completely unstable when he deployed the reserve. Plus is extremis he could have ejected the main first.
  10. Yep. With your arms up. you're fecked, but someone might as well have use of your watch :twisted: :twisted:
  11. Reminds me of a french freefaller in the late 80's or possibly 1990 who was wearing the helmet video camera thingamy do dah, on the last jump of the day he went up with the jumpers just to film their exit and then to stay in the plane - wearing NO PARACHUTE.

Anyhow come their exit he followed them out as was his normal habit, the film from his camera see's him closing on his mates as sky divers do and alls ok until pull time then he realised his mistake and its panic stations as he searches around for help which obviously isn't going to come. :(

An ultimate fail - gravity sucks! Should have grabbed the ground because its the bounce that kills you.
  12. Really hard to tell, but, it looks like he only has line overs, chute is there (slowing him down)

with the benefit of hindsight, probably wouldnt have cut away....but wtf do i know!
  13. Never let total ignorance of the subject prevent you from posting on it ....
  14. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Can you hear his Dytter too ?