Video filmed by skydiver of own double canopy failure

#2
In the event of a double canopy failure, always remember to raise your arms slighly parted and cross your legs with your left ankle over your right ankle.

It doesn't increase your chances of survival, but it makes it easier to screw you out of the ground.
 
#3
putteesinmyhands said:
In the event of a double canopy failure, always remember to raise your arms slighly parted and cross your legs with your left ankle over your right ankle.

It doesn't increase your chances of survival, but it makes it easier to screw you out of the ground.
Very true. :D
 

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
#5
He should have paid fucking attention when being taught to pro-pack.
Apart from deploying when very unstable he was probably playing the Sky God and dumping low.


Skydving's great, it it's a sport that lets you know when you've fucked up.
 
#6
Cutaway said:
Skydving's great, it it's a sport that lets you know when you've fucked up.
Very true--we had a fellow in our club who was trying for some kind of record number of jumps in a given period. As the day wore on, he got more and more careless and absorbed with the record etc. Jumpmaster was a pal of his and caught the fever paving the way a "perfect storm" of mistakes. Jumper hopped aboard, talking the ear off the JM, climbed to altitude, still talking, exited aircraft, good arch, watched altimeter, reached to pull and realized no chute. (His rig was one with reserve on back).

Speed Kills.
 
#7
Dont understand what you mean, JJ. How could he not have been wearing a chute? Explain, please? Not a jumper myself.
 
#8
Flagrantviolator said:
Dont understand what you mean, JJ. How could he not have been wearing a chute? Explain, please? Not a jumper myself.
I find it hard to explain other than the thrill of the moment and overconfidence mixed with Murphy's Law. I was not there that day so did not see everything first hand.
 
#9
jumpinjarhead said:
Flagrantviolator said:
Dont understand what you mean, JJ. How could he not have been wearing a chute? Explain, please? Not a jumper myself.
I find it hard to explain other than the thrill of the moment and overconfidence mixed with Murphy's Law. I was not there that day so did not see everything first hand.
still seems strange..

even a fool would realise that he had not got chute on..

and no i dont jump..
TERRA FIRMA FOR ME..the more firmer the less terror..
 
#10
Seen the video. Poor sky diving drills all round. He was completely unstable when he deployed the reserve. Plus is extremis he could have ejected the main first.
 
#11
jumpinjarhead said:
putteesinmyhands said:
In the event of a double canopy failure, always remember to raise your arms slighly parted and cross your legs with your left ankle over your right ankle.

It doesn't increase your chances of survival, but it makes it easier to screw you out of the ground.
Very true. :D
Yep. With your arms up. you're fecked, but someone might as well have use of your watch :twisted: :twisted:
 
#12
Reminds me of a french freefaller in the late 80's or possibly 1990 who was wearing the helmet video camera thingamy do dah, on the last jump of the day he went up with the jumpers just to film their exit and then to stay in the plane - wearing NO PARACHUTE.

Anyhow come their exit he followed them out as was his normal habit, the film from his camera see's him closing on his mates as sky divers do and alls ok until pull time then he realised his mistake and its panic stations as he searches around for help which obviously isn't going to come. :(

An ultimate fail - gravity sucks! Should have grabbed the ground because its the bounce that kills you.
 
#13
Really hard to tell, but, it looks like he only has twists....no line overs, chute is there (slowing him down)

with the benefit of hindsight, probably wouldnt have cut away....but wtf do i know!
 
#14
duffdike said:
Seen the video. Poor sky diving drills all round. He was completely unstable when he deployed the reserve. Plus is extremis he could have ejected the main first.
Never let total ignorance of the subject prevent you from posting on it ....
 

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
#15
duffdike said:
Seen the video. Poor sky diving drills all round. He was completely unstable when he deployed the reserve. Plus is extremis he could have ejected the main first.
Can you hear his Dytter too ?
 
#17
lippy said:
jumpinjarhead said:
Flagrantviolator said:
Dont understand what you mean, JJ. How could he not have been wearing a chute? Explain, please? Not a jumper myself.
I find it hard to explain other than the thrill of the moment and overconfidence mixed with Murphy's Law. I was not there that day so did not see everything first hand.
still seems strange..

even a fool would realise that he had not got chute on..

and no i dont jump..
TERRA FIRMA FOR ME..the more firmer the less terror..
In my years of service I have learned to never underestimate the stupidity of man! (classic example is 2 squaddies, Marines, (fill in your blank), hunkered down and fidgeting with something olive drab and metallic telling their mates to "watch this" as said mates quickly seek cover from the soon to be flying shrapnel, debris and body parts)
 
#18
kingburn_99 said:
Really hard to tell, but, it looks like he only has twists....no line overs, chute is there (slowing him down)
I wondered the same thing. I pretty much have twists at every jump or is it harder to get out of twists when jumping squares?
 
#19


Sloan Carafello of Schenectady, New York, was on a flight with the Duanesburg Skydiving Club. His job was to videotape the skydivers in the plane as they prepared to jump.

Robert Rawlins, pilot and owner of the single-engine plane, opened the door at 10,000 feet to allow the divers to jump. An instructor, student and videographer jumped out of the plane. As Rawlins had begun to close the door, the 29-year-old Carafello inexplicably jumped out the door with camera in hand but no parachute on his back.

His dead body was found next to a house with a damaged roof west of Albany. Police said they did not suspect foul play but would not elaborate.
 
#20
This is the detail on the guy I referred to in my club-I had remembered some of them incorrectly.

Veteran skydiver Ivan McGuire parachuted out of airplanes most of his adult life. By just 35 years of age he had successfully completed over eight hundred jumps! In 1988 in Louisburg, North Carolina, Ivan McGuire was preparing himself for another jump. This particular jump was going to be different than all his previous jumps. His assignment was to strap on special video equipment so he could tape a student and an instructor jumping out of the airplane behind him.

As the airplane climbed to the desired altitude, Ivan began recording the careful preparations that were being made in the belly of the airplane. The instructor and his student were standing in the airplane's doorway rehearsing the details of the jump, checking their gear, and tightening their harnesses. When the plane reached the desired altitude of two miles Ivan was the first to jump, immediately followed by the instructor and the student. The videotape showed everyone in a freefall at exhilarating speeds up to one hundred fifty miles per hour. Next, the tape showed the instructor and the student opening their parachutes and rapidly receding from view as Ivan continued his plunge toward earth.

But something was drastically wrong. The video showed Ivan's right hand reaching for his parachute release. And then his left hand desperately reached forward. Next, the camera began jerking around violently. In the video you can see the ground approaching rapidly. And then there was nothing. The Federal Aviation Administration investigators later concluded that there was only one logical explanation for Ivan's death. They said he must have mistaken his video equipment for his parachute. In his preoccupation with his video equipment, he forgot to strap on the one essential piece of equipment he needed to survive his free-fall.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top