Video card driver not installed... advice!

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Older_by_the_day, Jan 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now, this isn't my computer and I've never had this problem before but.....

When I tried to load 2nd life today I got the following message:

I do know a bit about PCs but when I look in system info I can't see anything other than a message saying:

How the hell do I update something when I can find no sign of it! :frustrated: And does it even exist? The people who purchased this computer, are not exactly the most IT aware of people :)

Any help much appreciated!
  2. Sounds like an onboard video device to me. Is it on a laptop or a PC? Check the back of the machine if it's a PC to see whether the Vga / DVI? Cable plugs into the motherboard ports or an expansion (sounds like AGP port).

The expansion ports will be further down and horizontal, the onboard motherboard ports will be vertical and further up on the back of the case. If it is a proper added on graphics card then take the computer apart and look at what the name on the card is, either that or the bios screen should tell you what it is.

If it is an onboard graphics card then your best bet would be to google the error message and see what you come up with. Either that or consult any relevant documentation or try and find a driver / support disc for said machine and identify any video drivers there.

Tbh it sounds like an onboard motherboard video device which is a bit more of a pain in the arrse to configure, Let me know how you get on.
  3. Cheers Higround, it's a desktop and looking at the back the monitor cable is comng out of the same area as the rest of the leads, rather than down the bottom where the extra stuff is usually fitted.

As this is a bog standard PC from Mesh and as far as I know not that old I'll have a look for the disc. So far googling things (my usual way of solving stuff) isn't working.

4. you work on an IT helpdesk, don't you? :D
  5. Heheh, no because otherwise I would have told someone else to check that it was plugged in correctly, switched on at the mains and then told them to keep restarting it till the problem went away :thumright:
  6. Well I'd say I've shit out, the recovery disc that came with the PC is useless, so all XP and not a lot else....

You know I bet this faffing computer doesn't even have one. Doesn't seem to be capable of scrolling down a page without getting laggy..... brand new last year!
  7. I don't know wtf I'm getting involved 'cos I know sod all about the insides of a computer (claim to fame - gained one of the first batch of O-level Computer Studies, but all computers were mainframe in those days!).

Anyway, I'm jumping in because I had a similar message a few weeks after buying my latest desktop (a few years back). After contacting the support helpline, I discovered that it was due to the lead connecting the videocard to the <insert whatever it is connected to> had worked loose during transit and finally disconnected. I was led to believe it was quite a common problem. Just pushed it firmly back in and no problems since.

edited to add: the lead from the videocard chassis to the motherboard?
  8. Gotcha I understand what you mean, will get someone to ring the support line tomorrow, though mesh have been quite pants really.

edited for mong typing
  9. Is it an ASUSTek (ASUS) motherboard?
  10. Pass!

Where would I find that info?
  11. Look on System Information. It's System Manufacturer and System Model.
  12. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Try the device manager to check the details of the driver...

My computer (right click)>Properties>Hardware>Device manager>Display Adapter>(right click) Properties.

What do you get if you do that i.e. card name and driver version/release date???

If you can get this info it might be very easy to get you an updated driver from the support section of the manufacturers website...
  13. No display adapter, only other devices>video controller (VGA compatable)

@ Ex_ex
    System Manufacturer System manufacturer
    System Model System Product Name

So rather helpfully it just has System manufacturer and System Product Name in the two columns.
  14. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Which is what happens when XP cannot recognise the Adapter.

You do have an Asus Motherboard and if you Google
    "ACPI\ATK0110\1010110" there is quite a bit of info including people who have had the same problem as you.

But as mentioned above I would go to
    1st and try to download the drivers from there.

There is a clicky under the Services and Support tab that says My Mesh Computer, but you will need to register to use it.
  15. Gremlin, cheers for that, will get someone to do it tomorrow when I'm at work.
    I doubt they've registered it yet and it looks as if it's the only way to get anything done.

Thanks again, will pop back tomorrow with any details.

You never know, this could help someone else!