Victory! Veterans will officially be able to wear their PJM.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by badal, Oct 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ...great

2. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

And brings us into line, after years of stonewalling by civil servants struggling with their usual inferiority complex, with Australia and New Zealand. This is also the end of a long-iunning, gratuitous FCO insult to the King and Goivernment of Malaysia, which makes one wonder whether the FCO is fit for purpose.

3. As far as I am concerned its still just bling, even more so if the proud wearer does not have an accompanying GSM.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pyjamas at The Cenotaph?

5. With respect, Is this another bling medal? are you 'awarded' it, does it have your Number, rank and name on it? or do you have to buy it? surely if it does not have the Queens Head on, it's bling??

6. It's obviously something that's very much deserved, but I don't understand the mentality behind campaigning to be able to wear it. For one thing, what does it really matter whether you have a bit of metal proving what you did? For another, if you're not serving, just wear the damn thing.

As much as I like the 'veterans' who turn out with berets, medals, badges and flags at every chance they get, I can't help but find it sad that - in the 30, 40 or 50 years since leaving the forces - they're still banging on about their military service.

7. Stand by........

• Like Like x 1
  8. Having read some of the links, who said that people couldn't wear it?

Is this a load of fuss about **** all?

9. Deserved ? Why ? This bit of bling was the result of ex British servicemen asking a foreign government for it. Effing pathetic. The GSM is for campaign service, i.e being there, whats this bit of tin for.

10. I might be confused. I thought this was a medal issues to blokes who were there?

11. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

I think they were awarded it by the Government of Malaysia. As for their service details and the Monarch's image, UN and NATO medals don't have them on either, but are still legitimately worn.

Ironically, the guys without a GSM (either version) probably have most claim to be able to wear it as they won't breach the 'Double Medal' rule.

I know what you mean and often feel the same, but then again the logical extension of that argument is, why bother with any campaign medals at all?

Personally, I think the double medal rule is a good one. If you've got a medal to show service in one campaign why replicate it? People often slag off the Americans, but the Aussies are a good indicator of what can happen if you start doubling up e.g. a digger who served in Viet Nam could conceivably have the Australian Active Service Medal 1945–1975 with Clasp 'VIETNAM', the Vietnam Medal and the Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal. That's three gongs for one tour and that's before the Australian Defence Medal or the Anniversary of National Service Medal if he was a Nasho.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Is this something you cannot talk about, or remember? what service do you have?