Victory in Europe Day

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by RedLeg_1011, May 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Victory in Europe Day (V-E Day or VE Day) commemorates May 8, 1945, the date when the World War II Allies formally accepted the unconditional surrender of the armed forces of Nazi Germany and the end of Adolf Hitler's Third Reich.

Lest we Forget

2. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

How very un-European to drag that up. The poor Germans were so misunderstood and we must not drag up their plunging the whole world into a sea of blood, and industrialising mass-murdering so as to exterminate millions who fell within their grasp.

3. *Perfect EU citizen voice on*

What is victory in Europe day? the European Union has always existed as a harmonious grouping of like minded states...

*Perfect EU ciizen voice off*

Seriously we should never forget the sacrifices of those who have fought for our freedom in the past.

4. Isn't this why we have Remembrance Day?

5. On the real VE day I stood in the middle of the road holding Aunty Ruby's hand

as streams of bombers flew in formation all over Yorkshire.

'what is it' says I. It's Vee Ee day says Ruby.. at four and a half i had yet to learn about acronyms .

When I was told that Tarzan was really Johnny Weismuller, I wondered 'Whos mother?'

Nothing has changed.

6. Forget what?

7. Well I'm not too happy with them - they're still creating an awful backlog down here. We should clear it soon though, as long as the French keep moving backwards to accomodate them.

LB

8. ... not to mention the French heroically surrendering en masse in order to tie down the German troops ...

9. aye and the treacherous pasta eaters.

10. The Swiss, of course, remained entirely nuetral. And good for them.

"Vere did all zis gold teeth and priceless looted artwork come from? Pixes must have left it during ze night!"

LB

11. Appropriate that it was Cavalry Sunday too. Pretty humbling for this Cold War & Balkans "warrior" to be standing alongside lads older & younger than me who have really done the business.

12. Those that died to free Europe from the tyranny and evil of the lunatic Hitler and his 'fair-weather friends'.

I know who these 'friends' were and that is why I am determined to do everything I can to expose the corruption and dishonesty that is the European Union -

unelected, unaccountable, unauditable and unsackable -

remind anyone of any other regimes?

North Korea; China; Soviet Russia and its satellites, and others too numerous to list.

Come on you defenders of the indefensible: when the EU's finances are judged to be honest and when I can be shown that this nation wishes to be subject to the European Union's dikats, directives and orders, then I may listen to your arguments.

Until then.......................

13. No need to bring the Royals into this!

14. I noticed that Google have a poppy on their page today to mark this.

15. I shall hoist the EU flag up a 2 metre pole and whistle the European Anthem to celebrate the fact that free countries can never again have German ideas foisted on them!