Victory For Common Sense

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by error_unknown, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The BBC:

'Gay' police horse case dropped

A student who called a mounted policeman's horse "gay" will not be prosecuted, it has been revealed.

But police have stood by their decision to take Sam Brown to court for making "homophobic comments" despite the Crown Prosecution Service dropping the case.

Mr Brown, 21, a student at Oxford University, had said to an officer: "Excuse me, do you realise your horse is gay?"

Police took the case to court after Mr Brown refused to pay a £80 fine.

Mr Brown, who made the comment during a night out with friends in Oxford after his final exams, was arrested under section 5 of the Public Order Act for making homophobic remarks.

His remarks were deemed likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress.

The English Literature graduate, from Belfast, spent the night of 30 May last year in a police cell.

It emerged at Oxford Magistrates' Court on Thursday that the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) had chosen to discontinue the case.

Prosecutor Cariad Eveson-Webb said there was not enough evidence to prove Mr Brown had been disorderly.

Thames Valley Police defended their decision to take the case to court.

A spokesman said: "We present the case to the CPS and the CPS make the decision to proceed or not.

"He made homophobic comments that were deemed offensive to people passing by."

2. How many, if any, passers by were offended, or was it just the police officer who couldn't take a light hearted joke? The average person on the streets probably would just laugh at the thought of a gay police horse!!

3. http://www.oxfordstudent.com/mt2005wk6/News/'gay'_horse_jibe_lands_student_in_court

That is how it was reported in the student newspaper.

The Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual rep said “Isn’t it offensive to assume categorically the word ‘gay’ is insulting? I kept drunkenly shouting at the police that I was offended that they assumed ‘gay’ was being used as an insult.”

Caused a great deal of amusement in Oxford at the time. Glad to see that he's got off.

4. Maybe the remark was overheard by a Poodle?

5. To be honest....It does look a little like a copper taking the piss out of the law by the unthinking use of the law in a manner liable to be found stopid...

Quite a few SNCO's and ex-SNCO's will remember using dumb obience(?) to imply that the Officer in questions is too stupid to think

6. Definitions of gay on the Web:

cheery: bright and pleasant; promoting a feeling of cheer; "a cheery hello"; "a gay sunny room"; "a sunny smile"

full of or showing high-spirited merriment; "when hearts were young and gay"; "a poet could not but be gay, in such a jocund company"- Wordsworth; "the jolly crowd at the reunion"; "jolly old Saint Nick"; "a jovial old gentleman"; "have a merry Christmas"; "peals of merry laughter"; "a mirthful laugh"

given to social pleasures often including dissipation; "led a gay Bohemian life"; "a gay old rogue with an eye for the ladies"

brave: brightly colored and showy; "girls decked out in brave new dresses"; "brave banners flying"; "`braw' is a Scottish word"; "a dress a bit too gay for her years"; "birds with gay plumage"

offering fun and gaiety; "a festive (or festal) occasion"; "gay and exciting night life"; "a merry evening"

:D

7. Dont you mean "a gay old rogue with an eye for the laddies" for those of a Tartan persuasion?

8. PMSL!

A copper feeling intellectually insecure and abusing his power by lashing out, perhaps?

9. Maybe he was unwell, had the flu and was feeling a little horse....

10. In Germany insulting a copper can (and does) get you a 1000Euro fine.

Even here I don't think you can get done for insulting a police horse though.

Seems like the copper was a tad over zealous.

Mind you why not? Might make the student think twice before 'dissing the pigs next time?

11. Wait a moment, does that mean that all those times that I've been out with my mates and said something along the lines of 'Aww shut it Dave ya big poof' I could have been arrested and charged £80?

12. And maybe said copper wants to get a sense of humour and try arresting some criminals instead? .... A crazy suggestion I know..

13. In Germany it can happen if you call a copper 'du' the familiar form of you as opposed to 'Sie'. Mind you you will normally really, no really have to work 'hard' to achieve this. I don't know anyone who can tell a story of a mate of a mate who has managed it. It is all about treating coppers with respect. But even German coppers have a sense of humour even if the German joke is no laughing matter.

14. OOOOgggh Officer, I think I've come over a little queer - Right sonny! your'e fekkin nicked.

15. Tears wrote:

In Germany it can happen if you call a copper 'du'

Maybe he thought you said Jew?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.