Victorious Cross Awards Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Medals' started by Ancient_Hush_Puppy, Nov 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Today Cpl Daniel Keighran of 6RAR was awarded the Australian Victorious Cross for his selfless actions in drawing heavy, sustained and accurate enemy fire away from an Australian/Afghan patrol in 2010. Well done Cpl Keighran who during media interviews in Australia has come across as a modest and private person uncomfortable in the limelight. This is the third VC won by Aussies in Afghanistan, the earlier two being awarded to SAS Regt personnel.

AFAIK Australia's ongoing commitment to ISAF is approximately 1000 personnel including SF while over the same period the UK has sustained up to 9500 personnel deployed in virtually daily contact with the Taliban. However since the start of operations only one VC has been awarded to a UK soldier - a highy deserved posthumous award to Cpl Brian Budd of 3 PARA.

My understanding is that the requirements for the award is the same for both countries yet I cannot believe that other British soldiers and Royal Marines (oops, let's not forget Rock apes) in contact with the enemy have not performed equally selfless acts worthy of the VC.

There may be a number of reasons for the lack of British personnel being recognised not least of which:

1. insufficient quality writing by the officer initiating the recommendation.

2. Lack of support by the chain of command

3. Parsimony by the UK Honours and Awards Committee

4. Downgrading to lower award.

Of these reasons I'm inclined to believe that 3 and 4 are the likely suspects.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE app

2. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Didn't Idi Amin have a 'Victorious' Cross?

3. Isn't this the third thread on this?

4. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

No, the other threads were about the blokes who got Victoria Crosses.

This one looks interesting.

5. I would agree with No's 3 & 4.

6. Predictive text. The gift that just keeps on giving.