Victorians were smarter than us

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Blogg, May 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Achtung der Chavs! Raus Raus!

Gott in himmel.
  2. I disagree with the basic premise. We only got involved in Afghanistan once.

Victorian *****.
  3. But they did put covers on piano legs to stop unwarranted arousal, so very clever indeed!
  4. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

I'm with bokkatankie on this one.
  5. And they invented doilies.

2-1 to us.
  6. They also invented child abuse; on an industrial scale, something we did not achieve until Jimmy Saville.

3 -1 to them!
  7. Ref the classic sci-fi story The Marching Morons.

However, it does suggest that an era with rampant gin consumption, TB epidemics, cholera outbreaks and galloping syphilis gave you better reactions.

Which were probably required for running away from stinking, coughing, incontinent syphilitic drunks.
  8. Ther's wan't an eleven year expedition with a likely involvement for a decade or two.
  9. But they were experts in cutting deals with the local tribes to allow a sensible and dignified withdrawal.

Bugger now 3 all draw!
  10. They invented 'The Time Machine'....
  11. I always get confused when the bleeding heart liberals moan about the current Govt returning us to victorian workplace standards. The Victorian era was one of massive advancement in the education, welfare and provision of skills to the workforce, while adapting to massive technological change - essentially going from a rural society, barely changed since roman times to one capable of mass industrialisation within 70 years.
    To my mind they managed to cope with a level of change which would cause our society to struggle, and produced a fairer society into the bargain. When people say we are returning to Victorian standards, I for one approve that message.
    • Like Like x 9
  12. They also miniaturised dogs for ladies laps for fanny licking purposes.
  13. Do a Google image search on Victorian'll find they didn't need dogs for that...judging by the amount of licking going on you'd think the Victorians invented oral sex.

In fact they might have done for all I know...