Victorian and Edwardian service

My mother has just found this discharge papers from her last husband's grandfather. My stepfather told me that his grandfather died in the battle of loos while in the Royal Berks. He did mention that he thought that at the outbreak of WWI his grandfather had re-enlisted.

We didn't know about this prior service in what looks like the Dorset regiment in the Indian Frontier and the Boer war. Both mention that he had two clasps for each medal. Is there any way of finding out what the clasps are?

Attachments

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
His Indian service probably garnered the India Medal with the Tirah & Punjab Frontier clasps, given the dates on his papers:

There were two other clasps for campaigns in 1897; Malakand & Samana, but the way the document is phrased makes me guess that the first two I mentioned are the correct ones.

As for the Queens South Africa Medal - well, good luck with that! There are 26 official clasps (and several locally adopted ones).

His Indian service probably garnered the India Medal with the Tirah & Punjab Frontier clasps, given the dates on his papers:

There were two other clasps for campaigns in 1897; Malakand & Samana, but the way the document is phrased makes me guess that the first two I mentioned are the correct ones.

As for the Queens South Africa Medal - well, good luck with that! There are 26 official clasps (and several locally adopted ones).
Thanks for the information.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk

@RP578 has the IGSM right:

A copy of the Medal Roll for 1 DORSET showing 3646 Pte J Harding

J Harding-India.JPG

By the time of the Boer War, he has transferred to 2 Dorset (probably to make up numbers) and subsequently appears on their Medal Roll for the Queen's South Africa (QSA) medal:
J Harding-S Africa 2Bn Dorsets.JPG

As you can see from the Roll, he was entitled to clasps 'TRANSVAAL' and 'SOUTH AFRICA 1902'. That means that he served (obvs) in the Transvaal and also into part of 1902: however, he did not serve in SA long enough to qualify for the KSA (King's South Africa), this being (probably) because of his transfer to Army Reserve.

I'll see if I can find him for WWI.

10533 Pte J HARDING 2 Royal Berkshire Regt was killed on 27 Sep 1915. He was 41. He is laid at BAILLEUL COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, NORDII. A. 21.

He was killed on the same day that John (Irish Guards), son of Rudyard Kipling, was also killed.

Casualty

Thank you guys so much, my stepfather's father was born after the 1911 census and was too young to remember his father.

You've filled in a lot of information.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk

Latest Threads