Victoria Cross

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by RustyH, Nov 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if this is the wrong place but I'm unsure where else to put it.

A friend and I were talking today at the subject came up on the last Victoria Cross awarded. As far as I know it was to Cpl Bryan Budd in Afghanistan or to the New Zealand SAS soldier whose name eludes me.

He insists that another British soldier was awarded it last year though he cant remember the name or the details except for a bayonet charge somewhere near or on a bridge and the recipient being of Indian or similar descent.

So wonderful world of ARRSE who was the last VC recipient.

2. Bri Budd

3. Cpl Apiata of the NZ SAS was awarded the Victoria Cross of New Zealand in July this year. This is the first award of this decoration since it replaced the British Victoria Cross in 1999.
    So the last one to win a Victoria Cross, as we know it, was Bryan Budd in 2006, the second one to be awarded this century, the first to Pte Johnson Beharry in 2004.

4. Thanks for that. Didn't know of the Tora Bora 2002 ones.

Rusty, I wonder if your friend is getting confused re Pun VC, who was awarded his for WW2 heroic service in the Far East with the Gurkhas. He was in the news earlier this year when moving (eventually) to UK for medical treatment.

5. Victoria Cross of New Zealand? Is this for real?

6. I asked Him that and he insists that last year a soldier with an Indian name, rank of Corporal was awarded the Victoria cross for leading a bayonet charge at '100's of enemy' in Iraq he is refusing to believe me and thus he is a muppet.

And yes New Zealand VC I may be wrong but can all commenwealth soldiers be awarded the VC?

7. Thought so. A couple of Ozzies got the VC in Nam, but why oh why does NZ have to have it's own 'VC' when everyone knows the original is still the biggest and best!

8. They probably thought we were too tight awarding our own VC to colonials. Looking at some of the blokes given them in the 19th century and the lack of them awarded now the kiwis have a valid point. The VC should be awarded for the bravest conduct but it seems these days although many soldiers are displaying that, the powers that be just don't want to award it.

9. Captain Ibrar Ali, The Yorkshire Regiment, won an MC in Iraq earlier this year. Possibly he heard something about that and got his wires crossed.

10. In 1991, Australia introduced the Victoria Cross of Australia which replaces the Victoria Cross instigated by Queen Victoria. So far, no one has been awarded this decoration.
    I don't know if, with all these NZ VC, Oz VC and Canuk VC being brought into being, a British VC could be awarded, for example if an Aussie serving in Afghanistan saved lots of Brits and did something amazing, would he be given a VC from us or the Aussie one? Or, even, both?
    The VC was also awarded to an American, once. Well, it was bestowed on the unknown soldier in Arlington Cemetary in 1921.
    The criteria for the VC is for "British, Commonwealth and Former British Colonies" soldiers. I guess you could say the USA is a former British Colony.

11. *God's Own History Bore mode on*

Including the Unknown Soldier at Arlington, there have been a total of 6 Americans who have won the Victoria Cross, William Seeley being the first American to win it in 1864, at the bombardment of Shimononoseki. Okay, they were not serving in American forces, but they still were Americans.

The others:

Bellenden Hutcheson (honestly, I am not making that first name up), Drocourt-Queant line, 1918

William Metcalfe, Arras, 1918

George Mullin, Passchendaele, 1917

Raphael Zengel, Warvillers, 1918

*History Bore mode off*

12. Canada also has its own VC. It doesn't have 'FOR VALOUR' because they don't want to upset the French-Canadians.

Its only right and proper that an independent nation with its own armed forces has its own awards system. If they were reliant on the British VC they would have to rely on the honours system to award it to their servicemen.

13. Here's a question that I'll use this thread to try and get some advice on.

A couple of years back I visited Melbourne museum in order to view a VC that was once presented to a Drummer Michael Magner for his brave action with the 33rd at Abyssinia in 1868.

Sadly the poor bloke fell on hard times and sold his medal onto a barber in Melbourne...anyway, I'd be happy to tell the rest of the story to anyone who's interested.

On arrival at the museum, I eventually found his Victoria Cross shoved away in a corner carinate next to some insignificant other medals and medallions. There was no citation, no photograph and no due respect.

I later (admittedly, rather optimistically) wrote to the curator and requested he donate the VC to the Regimental museum in Halifax. Needless to say, his reply turned me down blank, making reference to a number of articles on display in British museums - I quote;

"I think you will find that British museums tale a similar position when asked to 'repatriate' items to their countries of origin."

He has a point I suppose, but anyway.

I then asked him to ensure that Magner's VC and the man himself was accorded the appropriate respect. I have yet to return to see if this has been done.

My question; Has anything similar been done before? IE has a museum ever given such an award back to the Regiment to which the recipient served?