• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Victoria Cross vs. George Cross

#1
After reading the links given to me about British medals in the Cpl Laing thread, I have a question. What is the difference between the Victoria Cross and the George Cross, other than civilians can win the George Cross? Is the VC considered higher, or are they considered equal?


Remember, I'm a Spam Marine, so small words please. :wink:
 
#2
VC, if you are getting shot at by the enemy in war.
GC if you are getting shot at by yanks in peace time.

The GC is not to be sniffed at, in comparrison to the VC.
SK :)
 
#3
I think and do correct me if I'm wrong but the Victoria Cross is for Valor in the face of the Enemy and the George Cross is for Valor in other circumstances.
 
#5
Just to concur, the difference between the 2 is the VC is awarded for actions in face of the enemy at time of war, GC is in all other times

Example of GC s are Tpr Finney, he was shot at by our american cousins so echnically not against the enemy, there was a guy I think in NI he was killed when he shielded civis from bomb

That sort of thing
 
#6
a VC can be issued to a civilian in exceptional circumstances.

also if you are awarded either you get an annual bounty of £1,500 a year.

again as had been my observation, most VC winners tends to be very modest about their award, Balharry shows the same sentiments
 
#7
The GC is the highest gallantry award for civilians as well as for members fo the armed forces in actions for which purely military honours would not normally be granted.

Recipients of the Empire Gallantry Medal, Albert Medal and Edward Medal were all invited to exchange their medal for the GC.

84 posthumous awards
72 surviving awards
113 EGM transferred, 65 AM and 68 EM transferrees

'Famous GCs'

Tpr Finney
The RUC
The islands of Malta
Odette Sansome and Violette Szabo (both SOE)

http://www.gc-database.co.uk/
 
#8
semper said:
a VC can be issued to a civilian in exceptional circumstances.
e.g. Thomas Kavanagh VC, Lucknow 1858.

semper said:
again as had been my observation, most VC winners tends to be very modest about their award, Balharry shows the same sentiments
...and, according to the staff at the VC association, most tend to be the eldest child of large families.
 
E

error_unknown

Guest
#9
Corporal said:
After reading the links given to me about British medals in the Cpl Laing thread, I have a question. What is the difference between the Victoria Cross and the George Cross, other than civilians can win the George Cross? Is the VC considered higher, or are they considered equal?


Remember, I'm a Spam Marine, so small words please. :wink:
The answer to the second part of your question is: they are considered equal, but the VC would be worn first - if someone had both - as it is the older and thus more 'senior' award.

semper said:
a VC can be issued to a civilian in exceptional circumstances.
VC's aren't issued, they're awarded :roll:
 
#11
wellyhead said:
there was a guy I think in NI he was killed when he shielded civis from bomb
Think the guy you are thinking of was Sgt Willis PARA who died in Springfield Rd police station when terrs threw bomb into crowded waiting room. Willis shepherded them out through back door which he held open for them to get out. He died in the blast.
 
#12
i heard a song about a guy at a train station who jumped on a bomb/grenade despite getting heckled from the crowd.

true story im told?! it was about a reme sgt? any bells. could be wrong

seen the lyrics for said song on this very website

if true would he not be in the standings for an award?
 
#13
OldRedCap said:
wellyhead said:
there was a guy I think in NI he was killed when he shielded civis from bomb
Think the guy you are thinking of was Sgt Willis PARA who died in Springfield Rd police station when terrs threw bomb into crowded waiting room. Willis shepherded them out through back door which he held open for them to get out. He died in the blast.
Yep thats the fella


And if I remember right he was spat upon by those he saved
 
#14
easy-wan-kenobi said:
i heard a song about a guy at a train station who jumped on a bomb/grenade despite getting heckled from the crowd.

true story im told?! it was about a reme sgt? any bells. could be wrong

seen the lyrics for said song on this very website

if true would he not be in the standings for an award?
The BBC banned the song, I think it was by a bloke called Harvey Andrews?
In fact I am pretty sure I have it on an old 45 rpm (whatever that is!) at home somewhere. :roll:
 
E

error_unknown

Guest
#15
Henry_Tombs said:
easy-wan-kenobi said:
i heard a song about a guy at a train station who jumped on a bomb/grenade despite getting heckled from the crowd.

true story im told?! it was about a reme sgt? any bells. could be wrong

seen the lyrics for said song on this very website

if true would he not be in the standings for an award?
The BBC banned the song, I think it was by a bloke called Harvey Andrews?
In fact I am pretty sure I have it on an old 45 rpm (whatever that is!) at home somewhere. :roll:
It was No 1 with a bullet on the Shankill for a while, until displaced by 'We are the boys from Derry, fück the Pope and the Virgin Mary...' but not exactly 'Family Favourites' material.
 
#16
easy-wan-kenobi said:
i heard a song about a guy at a train station who jumped on a bomb/grenade despite getting heckled from the crowd.

true story im told?! it was about a reme sgt? any bells. could be wrong

seen the lyrics for said song on this very website

if true would he not be in the standings for an award?
If you are talking about "The Soldier", then that I belived is based os Sgt Willis as previously mentioned in this thread
 
#17
Googles a wonderful thing :D

The Soldier


In 1971 in Belfast a soldier called Sergeant Willis cleared a room of civilians because of a bomb. As he went to close the door afterwards, the charge exploded, and he was killed. [...] Harvey Andrews, was so struck by the incident that he wrote the song to make the point that soldiers, too, are human. (The incident of the soldier's embracing the bomb was poetic licence.) Broadcasts of Andrews' record were banned for some time by the BBC lest feelings be exacerbated in the nationalist community of Northern Ireland. The Ministry of Defence advised (and still advises) soldiers not to sing the song in pubs where it might cause trouble. Some have interpreted this as a ban. Nevertheless, they sing it 'all the time', according to one source, on military transport and in messes and canteens. It has been said that some units require newcomers to learn to sing or recite the song before they become fully accepted. Andrews' authorship is not widely known, and many different stories about the song's origin circulate.
 
#19
More Infoe, seems the name is Willets not Willis



25th May 1971:

Sergeant Michael G. Willets, 27, 3 Para, On the evening of the 25th May 1971 a terrorist entered the reception hall of Springfield Road Police station in Belfast. He carried a suitcase from which a smoking fuse protruded, dumping the case on the floor he fled out-side, inside the room were a man a woman and two children and several police officers. One of the police officers raised the alarm then began organising
an evacuation of the hall through the reception office. Sgt Willetts was on duty in the inner hall, on hearing the alarm he sent an NCO to the first floor to warn those above and hastened himself to the door towards which the police officer was thrusting those in the reception hall and office. He held the door open while all passed safely through and then stood in the doorway shielding those taking cover.
In the next moment the bomb exploded with terrible force. Sgt Willetts was mortally wounded. His duty did not require him to enter the threatened area. All those people who were approaching the door from the far side agreed that if they had had to check to open the door, They would have perished. Sgt Willetts waited, placing his body as a screen to shelter them.
By this act of bravery, he risked and lost his life for those of the adults and children.
Sgt Michael Willetts was awarded the George Cross (Posthumous)
 

Latest Threads

New Posts