Victoria Cross memorials near you.

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by k13eod, Jun 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was out walking the dogs recently and stopped to admire the war memorial outside St Margarets Church, Ifield, Kent (less than a mile away). I noticed that even though there were few names on it (not surprising considering such a small hamlet) there was one VC:

Thomas Riversdale Colyer Fergusson VC.

Although born in London his family were from Kent and Northampton, hence the regiment and the memorial.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wiki entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Riversdale_Colyer-Fergusson

His Victoria Cross is displayed at the Museum of The Northamptonshire Regiment (48th & 58th Foot), Northampton, England and he is buried in Menin Road South Military Commonwealth War Graves Commission Cemetery.

[​IMG]

Thought it might be nice (and educational) if you could put details of any VC memorial/grave near your home on this thread with pics and citation where possible.

Cheers, K13

2. Not so much a memorial, but Charles Jarvis VC is buried a couple of miles away from me in Cupar.

3. The original wooden cross from Colyer Fergusson's grave is in his family home: Ightham Mote, near Tonbridge. Tunbridge Wells has a memorial grove with one tree for each VC (15 I think) associated with the town.

4. Where about in the Kingdom do you live Axeman. I'm from Newburgh.

CTC

5. Interesting! A long way from Ifield ... don't know what his connection is? Apparantly he is also listed on the memorial in Gravesend?

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I notice also there is a Lt Gen Broadwood on the war memorial. Not often you get the Div Comd listed!

7. I've just learned that my local cemetery has the grave of former local postman Thomas Elsdon Ashford VC :

Thomas Ashford

He was the first man in the old county of Leicestershire to be awarded the Victoria Cross, and England's only postman entitled to wear the award. He won it for bravery during the Afghan Wars (1880 edition!) whilst serving as a private with the Royal Fusiliers.

His grave in Whitwick Cemetery remained unmarked until 1992 when the Whitwick Branch of the Royal British Legion arranged for a memorial to be erected.

Top work by the Legion!

8. Just found this site, which lists all the VC winners, and locations of burial and medal etc.

Interestingly, there are three in the same cemetary in Gillingham, and one in chatham that ive found so far.

Linky

Edited to add

Obviously, ive messed up, and that link is just the known Kent winners, if you click on "home" it gives you a list by area down the left hand side.

9. Glad to say that Guzz has its share of VC holders.

Some have been buried or lost at Sea.

Plymouth Graves
    V.C. ......VICTORIA CROSS - ARMY- FROM THE CRIMEA
    Captain Andrew Henry V.C., Royal Garrison Artillery, died at the Royal Citadel in Plymouth 14th. October 1870.

"he received the second victoria cross awarded to the royal regiment of artillery for successfully defending his gun at the battle of inkerman against heavy odds . although severely wounded for this action he was also commissioned in the field"

And one George Hinckley V.C. buried in Plymouth
    George Hinckley V.C. died on December 31st. 1904
    After winning his Victoria Cross in China in 1862 George Hinckley was invested with his VC by CinC Plymouth, Admiral Houston Stewart, at Devonport on the 7th July 1863. At the time Hinckley was serving as Quartermaster on HMS 'Royalist' and in November of the same year he reported the loss of his VC whilst attending a funeral in Plymouth. The War Office informed the Admiralty on the 23rd November 1863 that Hinckley's Cross would be replaced subject to the Admiralty being satisfied that conditions for replacement were complied with.
    Hinckley died on the 31st December 1904 and was buried in Ford Park Cemetery, Plymouth. His Victoria Cross surfaced when it was sold at auction on the 1st January 1925 for £43, and again on 19th July 1962 when it was bought by the respected medal dealer Baldwin's, who purchased the VC at a Glendining's auction for £440. The VC was engraved "GEORGE HINCKLEY, ABLE SEAMAN, 9TH, OCTR, 1862".

Three Devonians won the Victoria Cross in the First World War, rejoicing in the names of Veale, Sage and Onions.
    http://www.victoriacrosssociety.com/sample_articles.htm

GRAVE LOCATION FOR HOLDERS OF THE VICTORIA CROSS
    IN THE COUNTY OF : DEVONSHIRE
    http://www.victoriacross.org.uk/devonshi.htm

Plymouth War Memorial
    http://www.plymouth.gov.uk/warmemorials

Stonehouse Barracks Plymouth Memorial
    Norman Augustus Finch, V.C.
    Sergeant, Royal Marines
    Joined Marines: 15th January 1908
    Medal Won: 23rd April 1918, Zeebrugge, Belgium
    Gazetted: 23rd July 1918
    Born: 26th December 1890, Handsworth, Birmingham,
    Died: 15th March 1966, St Mary's Hospital, Milton, Portsmouth, aged 75
    Medal: Royal Marines Museum, Eastney [red ribbon] (Bequeathed to the Corps)
    Details of the Award
    Serjeant Finch was second-in-command of the pompoms and Lewis guns in the foretop of Vindictive, under Lieutenant Charles N. B. Rigby, R.M.A. At one period the Vindictive was being hit every few seconds, chiefly on the upper works, from which splinters caused many casualties. It was difficult to locate the guns which were doing the most damage, but Lieutenant Rigby, Serjeant Finch and the Marines in the foretop, kept up a continuous fire with pompoms and Lewis guns, changing rapidly from one target to another, and thus keeping the enemy's fire down to some considerable extent.
    Unfortunately two heavy shells made direct hits on the foretop, which was completely exposed to enemy concentration of fire. All in the top were killed or disabled, except Sergeant Finch, who was, however, severely wounded; nevertheless he showed consummate bravery, remaining in his battered and exposed position. He once more got a Lewis gun into action, and kept up a continuous fire, harassing the enemy on the mole, until the foretop received another direct hit, the remainder of the armament being then completely put out of action. Before the top was destroyed Serjeant Finch had done invaluable work, and by his bravery undoubtedly saved many lives.
    This very gallant serjeant of the Royal Marine Artillery was selected by the 4th Battalion of Royal Marines, who were mostly Royal Marine Light Infantry, to receive the Victoria Cross under Rule 13 of the Royal Warrant, dated 29th January 1856
    A further 6 participants in the action also received the Victoria Cross by ballot.
    A memorial plaque to Norman Finch was unveiled in St Andrews Church, Eastney on 23rd April 1967. The church has since been converted into housing and the memorial was removed to the Chapel in Stonehouse Barracks in Plymouth.Portsmouth City Council named a new road in Eastney after him.
    An anchor from HMS Vindictive is on display in the Memorial Garden at the Royal Marines Museum.

10. Great statue in Liverpool to honour Noel Chavasse,double VC winner with Liverpool Scottish,WW1.

Attached Files:

11. Private William Jones and private George Stringer, (VCs awarded in Rourkes Drift and during Es Sinn in Mesopotamia respectively ) are buried in Philips Park cemetery in Manchester. Both graves are well tended by the VC Society, and there are a couple of memorial plaques on one of the derelict chapels

Ive just found this site with details of a few more, including one just down the road from me. Thats found me something to do with my camera tomorrow
    http://www2.prestel.co.uk/stewart/manchest.htm

12. Also: http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Leicestershire/Countesthorpe.html
    BUCKINGHAM, VC William Private, 1st Battalion, Leicestershire Regiment (6276). Killed in action 15th September, 1916, aged 29. Born Bedford, resident Countesthorpe, enlisted Leicester. Commemorated at Thiepval. Awarded Victoria Cross for conspicuous acts of bravery and devotion to duty in rescuing and rendering aid to the wounded whilst exposed to heavy fire, especially at Neuve Chapelle on the 10th and 12th March, 1915. Born in 1886, William Buckingham was taken into care of the Local authority at the age of 6, and spent his childhood at the Countesthorpe Cottage Homes. He joined the Leicester Regiment as a regular soldier in 1901, at the age of 15, and served in Egypt and India. In 1914, when the regiment was mobilised, he went to France with the Indian Expeditionary Force.

On the 12th March 1915, he was shot in the chest, but the bullet was deflected by a pack of postcards, and again by his cartridge case eventually lodging in his right arm.

Also a good link here: Burial location of VC holders in UK and Ireland
    http://www.victoriacross.org.uk/vcross.htm

13. Canadian winner and a medic to boot, Fred Topham. Has a park named after him near my house, I'll see about getting a picture of the plaque. His grave is out in the west end of the city, there's a picture on the wiki (which is where I nicked the citation from).