Victoria Cross For Afghan War Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
DAILY RECORD
Victoria Cross For Afghan War Hero
Nov 17 2007

A HERO of the Afghan war is to be awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross.

Captain David Hicks, who died leading a counter-attack against the Taliban, is expected to receive Britain's highest bravery honour in the new year.

The 26-year-old will be the first officer to win the VC since Falklands hero Lieutenant Colonel Herbert "H" Jones.

The Ministry of Defence refused to confirm the award.

But senior Whitehall sources have told MPs said they are "virtually certain" the captain will be given the honour.

Captain Hicks, of Wokingham in Berkshire, was leading soldiers from 1st Battalion the Royal Anglian Regiment when they were ambushed in Helmand Province on August 11.

He was mortally wounded when a rocket-propelled grenade exploded near his command post.

He refused medical help so he could gather 50 men and lead an attack against the rocket position.

And he turned down an airlift to safety so he could stay with his men until the attack was over.

Captain Hicks was one of two soldiers from the same battalion nominated for the VC.

The second is believed to be Lance Corporal Oliver "Teddy" Ruecker, 20. InMay, he fought off Taliban riflemen to rescue a wounded comrade from a burning armoured car.

The Anglians' campaign has cost the lives of nine soldiers and seen about 80 wounded in some of the heaviest fighting since World War II.

Two soldiers nominated - will both get it?

IMO it's not right that deserving acts don't get the VC because issuing too many will devalue it. I'm trying to think of examples but I'm sure that there was one this year or the last?

"A medic helped him get Cpl Bailey inside the vehicle but L/Cpl Ruecker's ordeal was not over yet as he had to run another 100 yards to another Viking because there was no room. When he made it his colleagues began checking him for a wound because he was covered in his friend's blood.

"I then went into a little bit of shock and smoked about 20 cigarettes in five minutes," he said"

Surprised they're not doing him for smoking in the workplace.

Bloody well done to both of them.

Captain David Hicks, who died leading a counter-attack against the Taliban.
It's a shame he died, he sounds like the very best kind of officer. I hope his family will have the opportunity to collect a VC from Buckingham Palace.

I hope the lance jack gets his medal as well. There is something a bit special about killing a load of Taliban and getting a mate out of a wounded vehicle and away to safety.

British infantry at it's very best. Hats off to the Royal Anglians.

Z

Zarathustra

Where exactly did he say that? I think you two need to drop the faux-outrage. I know loads of blokes who, most people would agree, did more than enough to earn a gallantry medal yet they came home without even a Bde Commanders commendation. Qosmio has a point but, perhaps this wasn't the thread to make it.

And Qosmio why did you reply to a five year old thread?

Blimey Qos, you're insight into the VC and the SAS is outstanding. Thanks for that!

Hey, is it half-term already?

Z

Zarathustra

I'm not saying an officer doesn't deserve the award. I hope he gets it and the LCPL. I just hope they recognise the other blokes who were there and don't just focus on him at the expense of other blokes that were there with him. Soldiers don't work alone and I think a VC in most circumstances should be accompanied with appropriate awards for his comrades. In my experience, this has not always been the case. And prior combat experience has left me bitter about this fact. I apologise for any offence and I certainly support the award of a VC to a deserving recipient.
Both Capt Hicks and Lcpl Ruecker were awarded the Military Cross.

Did he recieve the award? The original post was 2007. I don't appreciate being called a 'Prick. That is offensive and not in line with the rules of this website. And what do you imply with your comment FAT CAV? ask me a question.

Apologies. I have had a long break from this site due to service commitments and recently discharged (after 22 years service in Infantry and SF...FAT CAV!) . I have been searching threads that interest me but it appears I have stumbled upon an old one. Sorry for my lack of attention to detail and thankyou moderators for your comments.

Apologies. I have had a long break from this site due to service commitments and recently discharged (after 22 years service in Infantry and SF...FAT CAV!) . I have been searching threads that interest me but it appears I have stumbled upon an old one. Sorry for my lack of attention to detail and thankyou moderators for your comments.
It's tsill an interesting point though and worthy of debate, If you start a new thread with the exact(ish) words you used to respond initially, I'll cut and paste the replies and it can stand on its own.

Lets hope that in the future, derserving recipients survive and that the powers that be sitting behind desks do award them what they deserve and they dont get too focussed on the VC as to neglect other deserving actions by other soldiers involved in the action.
I agree...probably should have been a separate thread..apologies for causing online tempers to be raised on this issue.

Have a look at post #25 and take up Forastero's offer.

... I don't appreciate being called a 'Prick. That is offensive and not in line with the rules of this website.
You're joking right

Status
Not open for further replies.