Victoria Cross for Afghan hero L/Cpl James Ashworth, Gren Gds

Do the Guards use Lance-Corporal? I thought it was Corporal and Lance-Sergeant.

Do the Guards use Lance-Corporal? I thought it was Corporal and Lance-Sergeant.
From another thread.
The Household Division, except donkies, have a unique rank structure. Where the rest of the Army have Lance-Corporals who wear one chevron and Corporals who wear two chevrons, the Guards have Lance-Corporals who wear two chevrons and the rank of Lance-Sergeant who is a full Corporal but who wears three chevrons and is senior by appointment to a normal Corporal. The rank structure was appointed by Queen Victoria who stated that her Guards would not wear only one chevron when mounting guard outside the Royal Palaces so she stated that the Lance-Corporal would wear two chevrons. That left the problem of what the full Corporal would wear to show that he was a full Corporal so the rank of Lance-Sergeant was appointed. Even though the Lance-Sergeant is only a full Corporal to the eyes of outside Regiments and Corps, he still has full Sergeants' Mess privileges.

I know it can seem like quibbling and petty but I wish the media could get the little details like this right (or maybe the MoD press department get it spot on)

There was a feature about HMS Belfast a couple days back she was described on the BBC as a "Battlecruiser"* and "once the world's most powerful warship" well no she isn't and she was never that....

Anyway brave chap and deserved.

* small rant coming : Attlee government could have preserved the KGV or Warspite but sold them for scrap to give the money to their union friends instead -sorry off topic -mouth closed.

I know it can seem like quibbling and petty but I wish the media could get the little details like this right (or maybe the MoD press department get it spot on)

There was a feature about HMS Belfast a couple days back she was described on the BBC as a "Battlecruiser"* and "once the world's most powerful warship" well no she isn't and she was never that....

* small rant coming : Attlee government could have preserved the KGV or Warspite but sold them for scrap to give the money to their union friends instead -sorry off topic -mouth closed.
[pedant]And another thing, he's not an Afghan hero, he's a British hero. He might be more accurately be described as a British hero of the Afghanistan conflict[/pedant].

It is right. Maybe you should read before posting.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
The main tragedy here is that James Ashworth is not here with us to wear his medal.