Victor gets airborne again!!

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by chasndave, Sep 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Victor

A bit of cockpit tomfoolery there, methinks; but it does beg the question why they didn't just retard the throttles when the world started going by quite quickly.............
  2. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

OH SH1T ... fucking poor drills, folks. 8O

Thank God it wasn't a worse result.

Now stop playing with the kit, Bob - those days are passed.

Just grateful you and the "co-pilot" and the ac survived.
  3. Top marks to the pilot for sorting it out ill bet he was tempted to go for a quick spin.
  4. Geezus, that was a few heart-stopping moments! I think the "co-pilot" owes someone a few beers. Well done to the pilot for stopping before the trees... and without the aid of a drag bag ..(bet the brakes were a bit hot)!!
  5. blue-sophist

VERY light on fuel, I'd guess ... which may account for the unexpected lift-off.

Poor pre-flight planning?
    What are V1 and V2 at minimum fuel?
    Does the ODM graph even go that low?
  6. Some really, really poor journalism in that article, even by today's standards. When the article first appeared online, the strapline included the expression "WW2 bomber".
  7. blue-sophist

Some interesting comments on the article as well.
  8. Took this quote from PPruNe:

"Searching around the net can find references to this aircraft having been pushed to 140kts on one of these 'fast taxi's' before. Another mentions how the nosewheel was lifted at 125kts in 2005.

Pub talk in my opinion. The Victor K2 had a 125,000 pound difference between empty and max take-off. The Bruntingthorpe aircraft (with Mil stuff removed minus, fuel on board plus) will probably weigh less than operational empty.

Now try the speeds above - and with take-off flap selected. I'd say you'd fly."

Couple a low weight with 4 punchy Conways and.....oops!!

During an exchange games night, a pilot off 55 told me that the Victor could beat a Harrier to 10,000ft from a standing start. Don't know if he was bull-sh@tting but it wouldn't surprise me if it were true .. the Victor was a hot ship.
  9. There must be a temptation if you have to all intents and purposes flyable aircraft, especially if the only thing keeping you to fast taxi runs is the CAA not wanting 4 engined heavy bombers in private hands, to "make a mistake"
    I always slightly sorry for the planes in hangers and museums. Fast taxi runs seem like torturing them
  10. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Damm but thats a great looking plane.