Victims Army Pension is Denied !!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by 58_Pattern, Jan 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In an effort to help offset the costs of the £1k chairs & £250K spent on paintings in Main Building the MoD today showed more cost saving measures.

This is terrible sad given the situation this poor wee woman is in and the MoD not recognising her as a partner. I hope that the local MP, the British Legion or SSAFA help her to get this incorrect decision reversed.

What is the current standpoint on recognising hetrosexual long term partners/common law wives/husbands ?

Good example of the Military Covenant being broken thinks me.......
  2. We have all been aware for a long time that the Army does not recognise non-married heterosexual couples. It will not do so until forced to by Govt, probably European, legislation.
  3. was he in the forces at the time of the incident? only it says he was a former soldier, once youve left are you still entitled to a widowers pension should things such as this happen? Surely its compensation they should get.
  4. sad state of affairs, but as an ex-serviceman is there an entitlement for benefits or pensions if things happen after youve left? should be but its hard enough to get things while youre still in.
  5. Would you be happy for her to claim her share of his pension if they had separated in the same way that a divorcee would be entitled to part of his pension. If so your righteousness is sound, if not... well...

Is this the whole story? Is the child entitled to some of his pension?
  6. He must have known she wasnt covered and he chose not to marry her. He could also have chosen to take out life insurance. I feel sorry for her but it is really his own fault.
  7. Barbs (my bold) I don't think that's the issue here although I see where you are coming from.

I believe that his kids may be entitled to some of his pension - 25% per child up to a maximum of 50% rings a bell but don't quote me on that.

The MOD made a rod for it's own back when giving cash to the widow of the SF guy killed in Sierra Leone!

8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Why hasn't she got a job? Terribly sorry for her loss but nobody is owed a living.
  9. Doesnt help in Davy Caldwell's case, but surviving unmarried partners who can demonstrate a long-term substantial relationship can now be eligible for benefits under AFPS05 or AFCS.
  10. May be bringing up 3 kids?

She didn't ask to be a single parent.

11. I totally agree. Anyone with an once of common sense in his job should think the 'what if' question. In fact, they should be made to think 'what if'. Am I mistaken in thinking bods still have to make a will, like it or not, before deployment on ops?

So, madam, you're bloke's dead, you're left with a kid and you think the tax payer should help you more than they already are? The kid must be at school by know, get off your arrse and get a job like the poor grieving widows/partners/girlfriends with kids of people murderd just because of their religion, let alone their job, have had to do.
  12. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Sorry to be pedantic but why does that stop her working? I'm not entirely unsympathetic to her problems but it comes across as if she's somehow different than the rest of us and deserves something for nothing.
  13. Hopefully the will be some movement on this case as yer wee woman is only on £79 a week and is finding it tight. His last words were that he loved his family....
  14. No benefits guru but the fact that she's on Income Support suggests that she may have a job?

I standby to be corrected and receive a world of s**t.

Also would we be saying the same if this was a widow of someone killed in Iraq/Afghanistan and left in the same position.