Victimised

Hi guys 18 year screw here most will say have a chip on my shoulder but i really dont. Anyway iv been accused of failing as an NCO and put on a formal warning. I feel like there is no proof apart from word of mouth from my seniors do i have a leg to stand on for service complaint as the OC doesnt see me working with the blokes or how i install my leadership with them i feel he just doesnt like me and has some issue with me

So, is this Current Affairs, News or Analysis?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
No. I've moved it to what seems to be the best area.

As 'an 18 year screw' you'd hope the OP had some better judgement, but apparently not.

Hi guys 18 year screw here most will say have a chip on my shoulder but i really dont. Anyway iv been accused of failing as an NCO and put on a formal warning. I feel like there is no proof apart from word of mouth from my seniors do i have a leg to stand on for service complaint as the OC doesnt see me working with the blokes or how i install my leadership with them i feel he just doesnt like me and has some issue with me

As a part of your Formal Warning, you will have been handed a text establishing why the warning was issued.

These things do not simply fall out of the sky.

Read it and then gather your evidence as to why you believe that you've been harshly dealt with.

No, I don't want to know the details: put your Big Boy trousers on and deal with it.

If you put in a service complaint you would have to show that you are being victimised. Do you have proof of that?

RTU'd

War Hero
Have you thought that as a 18yr veteran you should be pushing for a 3rd stripe and glory hence the seniors think you are not putting in max effort and are not soldiering properly or with purpose hence the formal chivy up to make you?.

You have been issued a formal warning to address a failing, real or perceived. As said before this will be contained in the text of the formal warning.
If you have an issue with it then, guess what speak to the people who issued it. Sit down with, and have a proper chat with your CSM before going to the OC. These things aren’t pulled out of your CoC’s arse because they feel like it. Things will have been going awry somewhere, and it’s never comfortable to receive negative feedback or learn that what you think was working isn’t.

A formal warning really isn’t something you should be losing sleep over, its designed to identify a failing and get you back on track not punish you or lead to your dismissal. Treat it as a learning aid and make sure you address the outlined issues and ensure that you’ve logged your progress, schedule monthly appointments with the originator to ensure that you’re on track, and that there are no surprises when you come to be taken off it.

If you’re placed on a further warning because CoC thinks you’re still failing and you can show that you’ve made progress then this is the time to redress it. Present your case in the meeting with the CoC, then explore SC.

Can you get a formal warning as the first stage of an issue or would there have been informal verbal warnings beforehand?

RTU'd

War Hero
You could go local and write to the current bun or daily wail and say as an 18 year in soldier you are being victimized by a cruel CoC and see yourself as a victim of a cruel army boss, it could go well or very bad for you though.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Reflect on what your last couple of SJARs and MPARs have said, compared to what is included in the formal warning.

Pretend you're a gay and are being bullied by the patriarchy, the Army will then be forced to bend over backwards to help you and no doubt you'll be promoted to a Captain by the end of the week.
Failing that - try and be more manly, suck it up buttercup and prove yourself to be more than a spineless weakling that others aspire to be like and to follow.

Can you get a formal warning as the first stage of an issue or would there have been informal verbal warnings beforehand?
Potentally. It is the first stage of the ‘formal process,’ in these circumstances if it wasn’t written down, then it didn’t happen.
You could record an interview in your interview book, and this would form part of any evidence In the case of a SC or review, but if someone’s just taken you aside for a chat then it doesn’t count, AGAI is designed to form an evidence chain. Arse covering and all that.
Unfortunately I’ve had soldiers in my unit over whom I’ve pulled what little hair I’ve had out questioning ‘why the f0ck are these people still in the army?!’ The reason being is that CoCs have passed the buck and never had the uncomfortable conversation with them.

Having written a formal warning that I delivered to one my guys, everything that I felt he had done, and exactly what he needed to do was written on it, stated to him, then signed to make sure he understood it. I then sat with him afterwards in an informal setting to talk through it and give him pointers on what he needed to do in the next 3 months to improve the situation.
I see no reason why you were not informed of why you were given a formal warning, as the AGAI paperwork is standard use. But I'm pretty sure you know why you were given one, I'm just guessing you dont want to accept it.

Have you thought that as a 18yr veteran you should be pushing for a 3rd stripe and glory hence the seniors think you are not putting in max effort and are not soldiering properly or with purpose hence the formal chivy up to make you?.

I should think that, after 18 years, he may very well be out of that zone.

Off topic a bit.
We had an 18 year full screw on our Troop. It would have been nice, especially for his missus, if he'd got Sgt and able to use the mess at that stage cos he wasn't really a bad bloke, just a bit clumsy. The CO was adamant that he had no idea who the bloke was so we made the Cpl PMC of the Cpls Mess (just a room in the NAAFI) and got him to organise a curry lunch and invite the CO etc just to get him noticed.

Which he did quite well, ISTR. Except that he forgot to order the curry lunch.
Still, we did try. No, he didn't get recommended.

Off topic a bit.
We had an 18 year full screw on our Troop. It would have been nice, especially for his missus, if he'd got Sgt and able to use the mess at that stage cos he wasn't really a bad bloke, just a bit clumsy. The CO was adamant that he had no idea who the bloke was so we made the Cpl PMC of the Cpls Mess (just a room in the NAAFI) and got him to organise a curry lunch and invite the CO etc just to get him noticed.

These are the sorts that cling to staying in, even when hefty redundancies were offered like in the 90's.

All the capable, switched on guys that would thrive in civvie street all jumped at the chance but the ones that really needed culling wouldn't dare leave as they'd be just as useless but without the safety net of the Forces.

Off topic a bit.

On the plus side, after that the CO definitely knew who he was.

On the plus side, after that the CO definitely knew who he was.
No such thing as bad publicity!

Unless you were a 80's TV/Radio star/Glam Rock Singer or a v wealthy Financier (who didn't kill himself) or Prince Andrew...

Latest Threads