Victim of bin theft offered counselling.

Sven said:
Victim Support, as part of their remit offer councelling to all victims of crime wherever they can.

They are a charity.
Rather highlights the jobswothlike way these people operate though doesn't it.

Someone would have had to type that letter, did it not ocure to them that offering counciling over the theft of a wheely bin was a bit silly. :D

So it isn't computer generated with the poster not knowing the nature of the crime? I don't know that it is so, but the possibility must be voiced.

The other possibility is that VS are not allowed to descriminate in the types of crime they offer councelling or other help for.

Sven said:
Victim Support, as part of their remit offer councelling to all victims of crime wherever they can.

They are a charity.
Incompetence is incompetence is incompetence, whether within a charity, a business or a state agency. Victim Support is funded through the public purse. They should, therefore, be held accountable for their failures. It's typical of limp liberals like Sven, with their polytechnic mentalities, to support mediocrity and incompetence. Fooking happy clappers.

Sven said:
So it isn't computer generated with the poster not knowing the nature of the crime? I don't know that it is so, but the possibility must be voiced.

The other possibility is that VS are not allowed to descriminate in the types of crime they offer councelling or other help for.
Quite possibly that's the case sven, but if that's true, is far worse.

That they don't take the time to find out about the victims and the crimes suffered and send them arandom computer generated letter to me would be far far worse than jobsworthlike behavior, so either way it doesn't look good to me.

HKF, where is the incompetence you mention? As a charity they have set objectives and one of them is to respond to crime, regardless of what it is or who suffered as a result. The guy in the story obviously doesnt need assistance but, as the article mentions, what about the old lady who may need assistance in speaking to the relevant bodies to get her self a new bin or the disabled pensioner who may need help sorting a broken fence because some little shtie has put his foot through it?

Not all Happy Clappers mate but rather charitable organisations trying to help where they can.

hong_kong_fuey said:
It's typical of limp liberals like Sven, with their polytechnic mentalities, to support mediocrity and incompetence. Fooking happy clappers.
I tend to agree with Sven - it's just a computer churning out a letter (and probably in the long run it's more efficient just to let the damn machine get on with it) but that's funny.

I know instinctively what you mean by "polytechnic mentality" but would you mind defining it further?

:D

mediumwhiteamericano said:
HKF, where is the incompetence you mention? As a charity they have set objectives and one of them is to respond to crime, regardless of what it is or who suffered as a result. The guy in the story obviously doesnt need assistance but, as the article mentions, what about the old lady who may need assistance in speaking to the relevant bodies to get her self a new bin or the disabled pensioner who may need help sorting a broken fence because some little shtie has put his foot through it?

Not all Happy Clappers mate but rather charitable organisations trying to help where they can.
Quite agree. This article's ridicule is misplaced. As we have seen far too often, many vulnerable victims of crime receive no support at all. And how many times do we only find out when it's all too late?

More power to Victim Support's elbow for their work. I imagine they do their best as a charity with the resources they have available. It wasn't their fault they were given no details about the theft. Even so, if a frightened old lady had been involved, she might have welcomed their overtures. Better that ten people receive unnecessary offers of help than one true victim slips through the net. But then again, some people wouldn't give a damn anyway.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
My bank used to churn out reams of the stuff automatically, but a minor bit of reprogramming soon fixed it.

It doesn't stop my oh-so-green council sending a box full of paper every month regarding my council tax and how green its services are?!?!?

I think..sniff..you are all..sniff...sob...being very...sniff..insensitive...you beasts!

After all, some people, such as MDN, have a very deep and meaningful relationship with their wheely-bins.

Well, if you read the article, you would have noticed that Victim Support were not, in fact, told the details of the crime, only that a crime had been commited. They can hardly be called incompetent etc. for following up on "a crime" which is the only information they had to go on.

No, the ridicule is misplaced - Victim Support are doing the best they can with the info they have.

hong_kong_fuey said:
Sven said:

They are a charity.
Incompetence is incompetence is incompetence, whether within a charity, a business or a state agency. Victim Support is funded through the public purse. They should, therefore, be held accountable for their failures. It's typical of limp liberals like Sven, with their polytechnic mentalities, to support mediocrity and incompetence. Fooking happy clappers.
Carrying out the instructions of the funding suppliers on the other hand is common sense, try applying it sometimes.

This has happened to me many times. Each time we ring the police to report criminal damage (about once every three months) you get on of these. Although fcukng livid about damaged cars, broken windows etc, I can't really say I'm traumatzed by them.
I am by the inablity to gun the fcukers down.

mediumwhiteamericano said:

The incompetence stems from the organisation's inability to distinguish between the scared, victimised old lady and a bloke who had his wheelie bin nicked. It stems from the mentality that permeates our voluntary and statutory sectors nowadays. The emphasis is on figures and statistics when instead the focus should be on quality. But quality seems to be a disposable concept when, ultimately, an organisation's success is determined by achieving statistical targets. By using indiscriminate mail-shots that have been generated by a computer, Victim Support will be able to substantiate their funding demands by showing their paymasters that the organisation has been in 'contact' with X number of crime victims. Whether, or not, those people actually needed help, or whether they have truly been helped, is of little importance to the bureaucratic mindset.

There seems to be a view that charities are expected to fail ("Well, they are only charities after all and they have good intentions"). That may have been the case in the past but the voluntary sector is now a multi-billion pound industry funded largely by the taxpayer. While some charities still operate on the basis of providing charity (RBL comes to mind), many now don't. Many are full of selfish and aggressively ambitious, unscrupulous individuals who, ultimately, wouldn't make it in the business world and who don't passionately care for the 'cause' they work for. In today's voluntary sector the emphasis is often on securing funding for next year and beyond in order to secure cushy jobs. It's a gravy train.

Dunservin said:
Quite agree. This article's ridicule is misplaced. As we have seen far too often, many vulnerable victims of crime receive no support at all. And how many times do we only find out when it's all too late?
Does that statement not reinforce the argument that Victim Support are incompetent?

Latest Threads