Vickers Newcastle to close

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jagman, May 31, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

2. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Terrible shame. Vickers has been a fitting in Newcastle for more years than I can recall, in fact, my mother and father both met when they worked there, and as my father came from Scotswood Rd we passed it on the no 17 trolley bus every time we went to see his family, and on way to Scotswood baths.
    As said, will be a sad loss of employement for a great many people.

3. Quite sad really, the small remaining part of one of the greatest armaments factories the world has ever seen is finally to go.

I remember from childhood just how big Armstrongs/ Vickers used to be.
  4. Shame indeed. My uncle worked there from the day he left school and had worked on all kinds.

He's retired now and works at Tesco. He ****ing hates it.
  5. a true loss, highly skilled tradesmen and women, out on there ear, when will we as a nation open our eyes and realize the ''yoof'' of today dont want the dirty hard jobs. lets just hope the Americans, might just throw them a bone and sub con some work.
  6. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Wasn't this on the cards years ago
    I seem to remember there was a debate going on about shutting Leeds or Newcastle.whcih would close.
    I seem to remember the PM of the day was all misty eyed about Newcastle and at one point could recall seeing Jafckie Milburn playing for the toon years before he was was born.
    Newcastle was saved and Leeds went..
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well if we hadnt wasted money on Nimrods, air to air takers, ships that dont float and subs that cant sink oh and 3 times as many new fighters as we'll ever use then we might have had some cash to invest in vehicles but then we blew how much on FRES and what do we have?
  8. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

9. MoD procurement is an unappreciated field of endeavour.

Fuse lit, stand back.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. £1 billion worth of very nice powerpoint presentations.
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

That said Bae is doing its job right somewhere, flogging hawks overseas and keeping Warton open. I wonder if that deal will end up in the US Supreme court as well? Just because we are skint as a nation is no reason not to flog muzzle loaders to the fuzzie wuzzies is it?