Vickers Machine Gun Demonstration Shoot Bisley 3 Jul 1600

Mr Stevens

Clanker
After the civ Methuen match is concluded on Sunday there will be a demonstration firing of 16 Vickers Guns starting at 1600 Century Range Bisley. Should be a very good event.

More info can be found at these links.

Attachments

• A0CF85D9-4814-445D-B679-9D6EE61670E5.jpeg
    A0CF85D9-4814-445D-B679-9D6EE61670E5.jpeg
    801.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 0B374303-A5EF-4618-B48F-2DBE10C1E643.jpeg
    0B374303-A5EF-4618-B48F-2DBE10C1E643.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 46

ugly

LE
Sadly not going but attended the HBSA MG shoots on Zero range!
Don’t forget to video it and post on here

Not being a grammar nazi, but you might like to consider changing the thread title to something that doesn’t indicate the Vickers MG was around in the early 17C.
I did a double-take at that.

ugly

LE
It will be a pricey exercise, hopefully funded by selling the recording to a video game firm which the HBSA did.
In current climate its a good job its an almost obsolete calibre military wise.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I hope all you crusties who were just junior bods when this thing came into service have a great day out!! :D

Many years ago 4RGJ went to a shoot organised, IIRC by a Mr. Lanchester, ex RGJ. An amazing range of weapons from a .22 penknife via a black powder .50 Cal elephant gun, to the Vickers.

He fired a burst of 200, mostly because that's all the ammunition he had.

The sight of the rounds stitching into the butts remains with me. SF par excellance.

Being funded by the VMGCRA without any sponsorship. If you’re coming along, please talk to us about how you can support us.

For those who can’t come to Bisley on Sunday:

ugly

LE
Unfortunately I’m being taken out to give 0A a break by an old mate who only found out how poorly I had been last weekend and it’s a clay layout on his pheasant syndicate ground!
I’m not turning down free bacon rolls when I’ve been to a Vickers gun shoot already!
Best of luck

BUGGER!
I'm taking Wifey on a long overdue and much needed weekend away to Dylan Thomas country and a nice hotel in Laugharn. I mentioned Bisley and I consider myself lucky to have a bed for tonight. On the positive side, from what I could see from his basket on the floor, George Dog looked very happy snuggled up next to Wifey on my side of the bed :oops:

1656625422241.png

BUGGER!
I'm taking Wifey on a long overdue and much needed weekend away to Dylan Thomas country and a nice hotel in Laugharn. I mentioned Bisley and I consider myself lucky to have a bed for tonight. On the positive side, from what I could see from his basket on the floor, George Dog looked very happy snuggled up next to Wifey on my side of the bed :oops:

View attachment 674057
Well, you either have to bang out an Escape from Alcatraz papier mache head at short notice, or hope that George fools Mrs Ian525 as you make a break for Bisley in the early hours.

I looked up a YouTube of the Vickers firing. It so happened that the subtitles/closed captioning was on. The rate of fire on the Vickers is so slow that the captions go “tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat”, then “ tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat”, and unsurprisingly, “ tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat” :D

Mr Stevens

Clanker
I looked up a YouTube of the Vickers firing. It so happened that the subtitles/closed captioning was on. The rate of fire on the Vickers is so slow that the captions go “tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat”, then “ tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat”, and unsurprisingly, “ tat tat tat tat tat tat tat tat” :D
Hahaha brilliant

Mufulira42

War Hero
Unfortunately I’m being taken out to give 0A a break by an old mate who only found out how poorly I had been last weekend and it’s a clay layout on his pheasant syndicate ground!
I’m not turning down free bacon rolls when I’ve been to a Vickers gun shoot already!
Best of luck
IIRC seeing a Saffie combined 4 Vickers {converted to 7.62}, solidly mounted on a flat bed truck, going dakka, dakka into Angola during the 1st invitational Op waay back when.

ugly

LE
IIRC seeing a Saffie combined 4 Vickers {converted to 7.62}, solidly mounted on a flat bed truck, going dakka, dakka into Angola during the 1st invitational Op waay back when.
There was a Russian AAA mount that did that in 7.62x54R

Well I am going, and am delighted to say - so are 2 of my brothers.
The last time the 3 of us got together at an event was an Army/ Navy Rugby Match before the Chinese Plague.

I am going to relish this.