Vibram Five Fingers - Barefoot Running

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by sneak, Apr 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone seen/tried these things : Five Finger Shoe Linky!

I have read a bit about forefoot running, the POSE method and barefoot running then saw a review on these in runners world. Any thoughts? Apart from looking a bit like a Ninja Turtle! I'm sure once you have worn them a few times you get used to the looks you get?

sneak

2. Freak shoes. Wearing those, you'd look like an extra from Planet Of The Apes.

3. Yep, found it now. My mistake will take a read through that thread. Cheers.

4. I was away training this week and one of the lads turned up wearing these.
    The science sounds good and makes sense, but by God they look stupid. There were pelnty of comments about his monkey feet.

Seriously, he reckons he's has them two weeks and so far has only run just over a mile on a treadmill. Apparently you can feel right away that all your muscles are working differently and at the moment he's in agony!

5. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

Good! He deserves all the pain he gets,short arse git. :D

6. Just run barefoot ?

7. I suffer from a multitude of foot problems, plantar fasciitis most currently diagnosed, my feet feel like my heels have been hammered. I discussed the very subject of vibram 5 fingers, the young person agreed that children should be encouraged to wear them as soon as, to stop them wearing shoes with raised heel blocks etc.

8. Great idea! Obviously there are no stones, broken glass, or dog shit where you live.

9. I got PF last July from picking up my running but the main thing that got me was too much down hill running (which I did during speed sessions).

I got from vibrams at the end of January this year and was running 2 milers in them by mid february.

I generally do 1-2 5+ milers in them a week, mainly on the street but I do try and run on the hills/foresty areas as it's more interesting.
    My times are still about 1-2 minutes slower then in trainers (thus far over that distance I'm averaging 8 min 20 a mile, whereas before it was 6 min 50 - 7 min 20), but touch wood I haven't developed any knee or PF injuries which was normal when I would get back into the running. You are supposed to be able to surpass your shoed speed and be able to run for longer given time.

I'm guessing that because I've had to start out slowly and build up the distance and then the speed, I've adapted whereas before I would put on the trainers and put in the milage and speed from the get go.
    God knows you can't do that when running on the forefront of your foot, the first few runs left me in agony for a few days afterwards in the calves.

I would suggest getting some off fleabay but also trying some in store first. My feet are euro 44 but I had to buy some 42's to properly fit my feet (that's with the classics).

10. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

There is an interesting piece in the times today about barefooted running. It is something they have done a couple of articles on

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/features/article7045833.ece

Runners with expensive running shoes are 123% more likely to become injured against those with cheap shoes.

It has got to the point where Nike are now designing a minimalist shoe.

Apparently the human tread in barefooted runners lands mid foot whilst those with shoes lands on the heel. Therefore, and bizarrely, all of us running are not running as we have evolved to do.

11. I've read a few bits about it and the amount of anecdotal is pretty high, while slowly but surely the good research trickles out. I don't think there will be a flood of such studies being released for a while until companies get ahead of the curve so that they can profit from it.

Nike have released the Nike Free which is minimalist and there are quite a few european based companies with more shoe like minimalist bits of footwear (unlike the vibrams which do indeed look daft when work with trousers like I have done at work sometimes, which isn't as bad if worn with injinji socks- http://www.injinji.com/).

From a biomechanical pov, you can see how having a long stride and landing on your heel is less efficient (as it is constant breaking and reacceleration) then landing on the forefront of your foot and using the musculature to dampen the force while continuing to 'fall forwards'.

12. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I think the most telling thing about this story/ release of info is the fact that there is no counter claim from any of the major shoe companies. Now that may just be them simply seeing another good marketing exercise to come but more likely they can't argue with the evidence so far released.

BTW - had pairs of socks like that for years. Sister in Law lived in Japan where they are v common who used to supply us with sets. Bit strange to get used to but actually v comfortable.

13. Agreed.

I think because they as yet can't say anything negative they are keeping their mouths shut for the time being.

I would suggest people try running in water shoes before they splash out for something like vibrams. Water shoes last about 500 miles and are almost 1/10th the price.

14. Minimalist footwear is available that doesn't make you look like a teenage mutant ninja turtle.

[​IMG]

I'd quite happily run in these (off road). I've got a pair of very old and very worn desert boots that now look very similar to this. I use them for running on the beach.

15. ^^^

feelmax, that's the brand I was thinking of. Finnish brand. Their trailer on the website shows them being screwed up and fitting into your pocket.

Having a look at purefootwear also kicks out vivo barefoot.

edit- that said, feelmax don't last long I think, that's the problem with thinner soles.

Yeah pretty much

The idea is that without the sole and extra cushioning you have more ability to flex the whole foot and bring the supporting musculature into play.

A lot of people like the vibrams because they give you the ability to use your toes more, therefore more like a barefoot style, but the supporting evidence for being able to individually control your toes when running isn't exactly high at present.

I have found my vibram style transfering over to normal trainers (ie forefront landing).