Vetting worries

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by bing52108, Jul 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am interested in joining the TA. I particularly have a soft spot for the intelligence corp. I am 32+, I am probably fitter than I have ever been before and I maxed the aptitude test, but this was a number of years ago, when I expressed an interest when I was young. I have also breached the difficult subject matter with my other half because I know there will be potential deployment post training.

My worry though is the vetting process. I have been in and associated with groups that would be frowned upon for having 'non-mainstream' political status, and on occasions arrested for minors related. I am not sure how time is relevant to all this, but arrests were awhile ago and it's nothing to do with Islam or Ireland, which seem to be the big worries implied by the form.

This is easy to trace and I am totally okay with being honest about this, but reading the application forms makes me think there is no reason to even bother, not now or at any point.

Any thoughts?

Otherwise, greetings, and sorry for the newbie first post question.

2. Start the application and declare everything. Leave it up to them to decide what acceptable. If I can be successfully vetted there is hope for even the most pyschotic applicant.

3. Judging by the mental state of half the MI people I've met you are worrying over nothing...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

5. You've got about as much chance of joining MI whilst being known to the Security Services as Donald Duck does.
    Christ we live in an age where some people consider UKIP to be a dangerous fascist party. Never mind if you've actually been or have danced with someone who knew someone who was a member of a right wing party.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

6. I knew a bloke in 3MI who gave a Greenpeace activist in Covent Garden a good shoeing and who went to swinger's parties in Antwerp. He still got his DV...

7. LOL no accounting for taste I suppose.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

8. That'll be the Intelligence Corps, right?

For goodness sake, if you are going to try and join, at least spell it correctly.

MY dad was a convicted Irish terrorist, and I got in. Spent 31 years there, too.

tac

9. Depends what your convictions are for?
    If it's EDL or the like then forget it!

10. Exactly what he said. Plus be armed with the knowledge that the gent/lady sitting the other side of the table will be totally immune to any attempt at humour, banter or attempt at camaraderie.