Vetting worries

I am interested in joining the TA. I particularly have a soft spot for the intelligence corp. I am 32+, I am probably fitter than I have ever been before and I maxed the aptitude test, but this was a number of years ago, when I expressed an interest when I was young. I have also breached the difficult subject matter with my other half because I know there will be potential deployment post training.

My worry though is the vetting process. I have been in and associated with groups that would be frowned upon for having 'non-mainstream' political status, and on occasions arrested for minors related. I am not sure how time is relevant to all this, but arrests were awhile ago and it's nothing to do with Islam or Ireland, which seem to be the big worries implied by the form.

This is easy to trace and I am totally okay with being honest about this, but reading the application forms makes me think there is no reason to even bother, not now or at any point.

Any thoughts?

Otherwise, greetings, and sorry for the newbie first post question.

Start the application and declare everything. Leave it up to them to decide what acceptable. If I can be successfully vetted there is hope for even the most pyschotic applicant.

You've got about as much chance of joining MI whilst being known to the Security Services as Donald Duck does.
Christ we live in an age where some people consider UKIP to be a dangerous fascist party. Never mind if you've actually been or have danced with someone who knew someone who was a member of a right wing party.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I knew a bloke in 3MI who gave a Greenpeace activist in Covent Garden a good shoeing and who went to swinger's parties in Antwerp. He still got his DV...
LOL no accounting for taste I suppose.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

That'll be the Intelligence Corps, right?

For goodness sake, if you are going to try and join, at least spell it correctly.

MY dad was a convicted Irish terrorist, and I got in. Spent 31 years there, too.

tac

B

Bertie Basset

Start the application and declare everything. Leave it up to them to decide what acceptable. If I can be successfully vetted there is hope for even the most pyschotic applicant.
Exactly what he said. Plus be armed with the knowledge that the gent/lady sitting the other side of the table will be totally immune to any attempt at humour, banter or attempt at camaraderie.

Just failed my vetting for RMP 4 weeks before my phase 1 date. Pissed (probably for the best anyway), now I have to choose a new job role. Looking at OPMI but just seen that they do developed vetting too. I have a caution for Malicious Communications. Is this going to stop me joining Int Corps?

Last edited:
Just failed my vetting for RMP 4 weeks before my phase 1 date. Pissed (probably for the best anyway), now I have to chose a new job role. Looking at OPMI but just seen that they do developed vetting too. I have a caution for Malicious Communications. Is this going to stop me joining Int Corps?
It depends upon what you said and to whom...

Surely it must have occurred to you that your caution probably rendered you unsuitable for employment as a Military Policeman?

ugly

LE
Another reminder why accepting a caution is not a soft option, its a cheap and uncontested conviction!

Another reminder why accepting a caution is not a soft option, its a cheap and uncontested conviction!
Absolutely but better than a court conviction if you are guilty.

Think long and hard before throwing the dice and hoping to game the CJS. I have seen plenty turn one down and end up being found guilty in court based on shit legal advice to go “no comment”.

It depends upon what you said and to whom...

Surely it must have occurred to you that your caution probably rendered you unsuitable for employment as a Military Policeman?
My lack of penis would have rendered me unsuitable for employment as a Military Policeman.
I know people in the RMP and the civilian police who have done worse. Obviously things have changed.

No One on here can answer your vetting queries properly. The only way to find out is to go through the process and let it run its course. I've been a recruiter and had plenty of people admit one thing to me while holding back plenty of other convictions/ previous encounters with the law/ other factors. I'm not implying you are but the combined wisdom of the internet is a dangerous thing!

If your interested in the corps then go have a chat. Worry about getting through phase 1 first anyway, regardless of who you end up with its all the same.

Have a second choice though just incase. (Or 3rd I suppose).

No One on here can answer your vetting queries properly. The only way to find out is to go through the process and let it run its course. I've been a recruiter and had plenty of people admit one thing to me while holding back plenty of other convictions/ previous encounters with the law/ other factors. I'm not implying you are but the combined wisdom of the internet is a dangerous thing!

If your interested in the corps then go have a chat. Worry about getting through phase 1 first anyway, regardless of who you end up with its all the same.

Have a second choice though just incase. (Or 3rd I suppose).
Here's the thing though right.
I'm pretty sure I've been removed off that intake. If I wanna go into Int Corps then I have to pass Int selection. That could be months away, but lets say I pass it and all goes well, get a start date then again FAIL my vetting. I would have just wasted who knows how long just to be back where I started. I can't seem to get an answer off recruiters, it's just "we'll get back to you". No disrespect but this system is bullshit. I'm getting pretty sick of working in McDonalds too.
And yes I've been 100% honest about my past.

Its not wasted. No matter who you do your phase 1 with its all the same. Once it's completed you can transfer to another unit if nessesary with out having to go backwards.

The Int Corps won't put you through DV until quite a bit down the track so It won't stop you getting in and completing the first bits of training.

If you still want to get on that intake contact the unit you want to join quickly. Explain to them. If you have passed the selection and medicals etc and are ready to be attested then you might be surprised how quickly people might be able to help. Everyone works to targets. You (potentially) are a quick win for someone to get attested and loaded onto a Ph1. Worry about the DV if and when it happens. For all you know you might be a shit soldier, fail Ph1 and never get as far as DV!

What the RMP have rejected you on is your criminal record check. As far as I am aware RMP don't routinely have DV and criminal records are different from your likely suitability for the Int Corps and passing DV.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Police, PMCs, Security 10
T Seniors 4
I Int Corps 59