Vetterli 1881

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Croque_Monsieur, Feb 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just to revive the topic a bit, the latest BP acquisition!

Last incarnation of the Swiss vetterli rifle, model 1881 stutzer, featuring Mr. Schmidt's double set trigger. For those that don't know the vetterli system, think of it as a bolt action rifle with the magazine and feed mechanism of a winchester 1873.

This one was made for a private individual so it's in absolute mint condition with matching BFO bayonet. Wood appears to be walnut.

I haven't had any luck tracing the name.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. We turned up one of these on a search in NI years ago, complete with a load of (elephant gun) 10.4mm ammo - not quite in the same pristine condition!

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The Italians re issued these in WW1 in orginal calibrre and also sleeving the barrel to 6.5 Carcano using a weird swaging method called the Salerno method which was developed in Birmingham. I wouldnt fire one but hey some daft fecker had to!

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I love that rear sight!

5. The rear sight was also designed by Schmidt. The Italian ones initially didn´t have a maagazine, then they chose the Vitali box mag before finally getting them sleeved as Ugly mentions.

6. Is it a rim or centrefire?

A mate of mine has one that has been converted to centrefire.. he uses cut down 8x50 lebel cases.. shoots really well!

7. THAT is a sweet rifle.

8. It is still rimfire and it shall remain so but I'm scouring for a spare bolt to convert to centrefire, I also ordered a spare cartridge elevator since the original one is blued and I don't want to damage the finish.