Vet's Banger Rally UK to Gib

I found this on FB today and it sounds like a jolly wheeze, so I've shared it with you lot! I might bimble along to Gib to see them arrive!

Question. Do you miss the banter of your time in the forces?
Answer. Yes?
Question. What can you do about it?
Answer.Join the Veterans Banger Rally 2022
The Veterans Banger Rally 2022 Europe is a little jaunt from the UK to Gibraltar in a fleet of £500 vehicles!
UK - Calais - Le Mans - Pau - Valencia - Malaga - Gibraltar
Tuesday 13th September to Sunday 18th September 2022
Vehicle can only be worth £500 maximum.
Decorate it and raise funds for your own charity as well as our nominated charity for 2022 SSAFA, the Armed Forces charity
For more information or a booking form, drop me a message (PM) or an email at admin@mac-auto-challenges.co.uk
As long as there is at least one veteran or serving member in each team, you can bring the family along, or the wife/husband? or someone elses wife/husband??? etc etc.

Bentley Karting Veteran's Banger Rally 2022 (Europe) or www.veteransbangerrally.co.uk

philc

LE
Always fancied giving one of these a go, I have a suitable car, well the wife does, I might ponder this.

I take it, its there and back?

What can you get for £500 that will make it?

philc

LE
What can you get for £500 that will make it?
Look on Autotrader Skoda 2006; 75000 miles, Volkswagen Polo 1.4 under 100,000 miles some reasonable cars if you sort out the niggles prior.

philc

LE
Do it in style

Thats nice but a bit complex, you want easy to maintain and cheap spares. It’s also a points system, age and engine size come it to play, older and smaller engine the better.

I did look at doing one down Western Africa, aside from raising money you donated the car at the end, plus we’re expected to take down 2nd hand artificial limbs, which seemed a little odd till you read up on the use of land mines etc.

Thats nice but a bit complex, you want easy to maintain and cheap spares. It’s also a points system, age and engine size come it to play, older and smaller engine the better.

I did look at doing one down Western Africa, aside from raising money you donated the car at the end, plus we’re expected to take down 2nd hand artificial limbs, which seemed a little odd till you read up on the use of land mines etc.

I did think it would be a big risk. Looking though autotrader for cars under £500 it was mostly small cars. That’s a lot of strain on a small, already tired engine.

I was looking for a toyota corrola, famed for bullet proof engines. They were a few Toyota Yaris on there.

There was a ford orion, should be easy mechanicals for someone in to it.

Have a look....I know someone who did it this year. Haven't heard how it went mind.

The cheating barstewards, no way are some of those cars just £500.

Typical bloody squaddies, buy a car for £500, spend £10,000 doing it up.

The cheating barstewards, no way are some of those cars just £500.

Typical bloody squaddies, buy a car for £500, spend £10,000 doing it up.
"But look at what they have."

Dunno how tight they are on spend...I think it all started as a jolly for some expats but not certain. Sue certainly is/was.

"But look at what they have."

Dunno how tight they are on spend...I think it all started as a jolly for some expats but not certain. Sue certainly is/was.

To be fair, I don’t think you can spend just £500 on a motor and do it safely.

Latest Threads