Vetrans twice as likely to commit suicide

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by bobath, Jun 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A US report found that male vetrans are twice as likely to commit suicide than non-vetrans.

Even in the states with there massively funded Vetrans Assosiation, and rampent national pride. Makes you wonder why the same sort of report hasn't been done here, that would make intersting reading.
  2. A sad trend to read about. I think that PTSD often takes a few years to kick in in many cases. All the more reason to keep in touch with old colleagues to keep each other sane, and I think shows the value of having outlets such as ARRSE to vent a good old rant once in a while rather than bottling up the hate.
    I met a guy in a bar (not like that, purely plantonic) out here a few weeks ago. Had left two years ago after over ten years in as was hating the constant tours. He'd lost touch with everybody he served with and was very down on the whole situation. I encouraged him to get back in touch, and in fact had a mutual friend I urged him to contact. Otherwise easy to see everything that Labour are fecking up, and get the red mist rising I think. Or withdrawal and isolation in other cases.
    Here's to everybody contacting an old colleague out of the blue once in a while for a good old natter and do a kind of social sniff test.
  3. Dear Jockass,

Keep him off the booze and that will help.

Amazing that it's only now that the media are catching up with this story. I know that producers at the BBC have tried to get stuff like this on air for the last three or even four years, but the Corporation's commissioning editors were just not interested.

In fact there are two stories:

1/. The horrors of what people have been through and the lack of help they get from the NHS.

2/. The shocking refusal of the government to associate itself with this problem because it is politically damaging to them.

Bugger, that's three stories.
  4. The Professor who is leading the research into mental health for the Forces said on the radio yesterday that it was impossible to calculate the suicide rates for retired military personnel in the UK because the death certificate does not record that someone had served in the Forces.

I agree that the death certificate does not record such data but the epidemiology data for suicide rates will have been extracted and our Pensions' Office has a record of everyone who has served and it should be possible to correlate the two indices! Time and money would be the inhibiting factors....!

He specifically mentioned the lack of data on those who served in the Falkland Islands conflict, but that had me yelling at the radio because all those who served will have been awarded the South Atlantic Medal and their full details will be stashed away somewhere!

5. I'm sure the death cetificate would record a death by suicide. That could be cross referneced with the MOD records, including theaters served in, to find the numbers.

Given the small size of the Forces I doubt and usefull date would be gained by comparing it to the rest of the country, but it could be used to try and force HMG's hand in changing the treatment of vetrans.
    Mind you that's why it'll never happen.
  6. The American way of looking after Veterans

Clinical Programs & Initiatives

Agent Orange Health Effects and Vietnam Veterans
    Information on health issues for Vietnam veterans exposed to the herbicide Agent Orange during the Vietnam War. This site features current and back issues of VA's publication Agent Orange Review, and current issues of Agent Orange Fact Sheets, other publications, and answers to frequently asked questions. These publications can be searched by key-word or information on specific health concerns, Vietnam veterans and Agent Orange compensation policy developments, and other specific Vietnam War and Agent Orange activities.

Blind Rehabilitation Services
    This service includes adjustment to blindness counseling, patient and family education, benefit analysis, comprehensive residential inpatient training, outpatient rehabilitation services, the provision of assistive technology, and research.

Cancer Program
    The VA cancer program ensures that users of the veterans health care system have easy access to consistently high quality cancer prevention, detection, and treatment services. Its Web site offers cancer facts, information about care, a list of VHA designated comprehensive cancer centers, and the VA's national cancer strategy

Cardiac Surgery Consultants Committee
    Provides information on the criteria and standards for cardiac care and has an advisory committee on policy issues surrounding cardiac surgery.

Center for Women Veterans
    While the Center for Women Veterans is not part of VHA, health care is one of it critical components. The Center's website includes information on Women Veterans' Comprehensive Health Centers, sexual trauma counseling, the VA Mammography Office, and how to apply for benefits.

Cold Injury
    Study this material to learn more about long-term effects of cold injury.

Diabetes Program
    The Web site for the Diabetes Program provides clinical guidelines, fact sheets, links to Web sites, and other information concerning the cost and management of diabetes.

Gulf War Veterans' Health
    Information on health issues for veterans who served in the Gulf War. This site features current and back issues of VA's publication Gulf War Review, other publications, and answers to frequently asked questions. These publications can be searched by key-word for information on specific health concerns, Gulf War environmental exposures, Gulf War veteran compensation policy, research on Gulf War health, or other specific Gulf War activities.

Health Care Programs for Elderly Veterans
    Geriatrics Strategic Healthcare website provides information about hospice care, home based primary care, geriatric evaluation and management, domiciliary care, Alzheimer's/dementia program, adult day health care, and respite care.

HIV/AIDS Program
    The program disseminates a biweekly newsletter, publicizes new items available on the Internet, announces AIDS Service activities, and distributes other relevant HIV/AIDS information.

Kidney Diseases Program
    The VA kidney diseases program ensures that users of the veterans health care system have easy access to consistently high quality renal diseases prevention, detection, and treatment services. Its Web site offers facts, information about care, a list of VHA dialysis centers, and the VA's clinical practice guidelines.

Mental Health
    Specialty areas include Psychiatry, Psychology, and Readjustment Counseling. (Although administratively separate, the Readjustment Counseling Service is clinically aligned with Mental Health.)

Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Centers (MIRECC)
    Generating new knowledge about the causes and treatments of mental disorders, appling new findings to model clinical programs, and widely disseminating new findings through education to improve the quality of veterans' lives and their daily functioning in their recovering from mental illness.

National Center for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
    The center carries out a broad range of multidisciplinary activities in research, education, and training to understand, diagnose, and treat PTSD. The Web site targets information to different groups, such as veterans and their families, women, clinicians, researchers, journalists, librarians, and students.

Some PTSD cases arise from sexual trauma. For more information on this topic, consult the Web site of the Center for Women Veterans.
    National Center Patient Safety
    The National Center for Patient Safety (NCPS) embodies the Department of Veterans Affairs' (VA) uncompromising commitment to reducing and preventing adverse medical events while enhancing the care given our patients. The NCPS represents a unified and cohesive patient safety program, with active participation by all of the 172 VA hospitals supported by dedicated patient safety managers

The Office of Nursing Services functions as a Center for Nursing Leadership by providing the linkages and opportunities for the enhancement of innovation and preservation of the caring dimension across the spectrum of Nursing Service delivery.

Recreational Therapy Service
    Recreation Therapy provides quality clinical treatment interventions for veterans and other beneficiaries. Some of its programs include recreation/creative arts therapy, National Veterans Creative Arts Festival, Very Special Arts Program, National Veterans Wheelchair Games, National Disabled Veterans Winter Sports Clinic, National Veterans Golden Age Games, and the Training-Exposure-Experience (T.E.E.) Golf Tournament.

Social Work
    VA Social Work's mission is to eliminate psychosocial complications as significant barriers to healthcare interventions for veterans and families. This is accomplished by developing and maintaining integrated, quality programs in patient care, research, education and prevention.

War-Related Illness and Injury Study Center
    WRIISC-DC provides service to combat veterans through clinical care, risk communication and research addressing potential environmental exposures and adverse health outcomes.

Several of the Department's programs target specific veteran populations, and we hope you will take advantage of the resources they offer.

Disabled Veterans
    This page includes information on Web site accessibility, the President's Committee on Employment of People with Disabilities, and links to sites that deal address other accessibility issues.

Homeless Veterans
    The homeless program promotes the development and provision of housing and other supportive services. Homeless veterans achieve residential stability, increase their skill levels and/or income, and obtain greater self-determination.

Information Quality Guidelines
    These guidelines describe VA's policy for ensuring the quality of information that it disseminates to the public and set forth the administrative procedure by which an affected person requests correction of disseminated information. VA received no information quality correction requests; during FY 04, and one (1) during FY 03.

Military Services
    Outreach to active duty service members and veterans is an integral part of the Veterans Benefits Administration. We provide information that will prove helpful to the separating service member as well as the veteran.

Minority Veterans
    The unique circumstances and special needs of minority veterans are addressed by the Center for Minority Veterans' staff.

Women Veterans
    The Center for Women Veterans ensures women veterans have access to VA benefits and services and that VA health care and benefits programs are responsive to the gender-specific needs of women veterans.

Veterans in Business
    The Center for Veterans Enterprise promotes business ownership and expansion for veterans. They provide resource assistance for veterans and service-disabled veterans who are considering starting or expanding a business. The staff works with all federal agencies, large contractors and not-for-profit assistance organizations.

Applying for Care
    Apply or Enroll for VA Medical Benefits
    10-10ez Form
    Applying for VA health Care, Nursing Home, Domiciliary or Dental Benefits
    You can apply for VA health care, Nursing Home, Domiciliary or Dental Benefits by completing VA Form 10-10EZ, Application for Health Benefits. Be sure you sign and date the application. You can obtain this form by:

Accessing our web site,, or
    Visiting, calling or writing any VA health care facility or Veterans Benefits Office. or
    Calling VA’s Health Benefits Service Center, toll free at 877-222-VETS (8387), Monday through Friday between 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. eastern
    Priority Scheduling for Service-Connected Veterans
    VA will provide you priority access to care if you are a veteran who:

Needs care of a service-connected disability or
    Are 50 percent service-connected or higher and need care for any condition.
    In this case, VA will schedule you for a primary care evaluation within 30 days of desired date. If your outpatient appointment cannot be scheduled within this timeframe, VA will arrange to have you seen within 30 days at another VA health care facility or obtain the services on fee basis, under a sharing agreement or contract at VA expense.

All other veterans will be scheduled for a Primary Care appointment as soon as one becomes available.

Applying For Long Term Care
    Long Term Care benefits provide for a range of long-term care services, including nursing home care, domiciliary care, adult day health care, geriatric evaluation and respite care.

Nonservice-connected and zero percent service-connected enrolled veterans with income over the single pension rate will need to complete VA Form 10-10EC, Application for Extended Care Services in addition to a VA Form 10-10EZ.

Form 10-10EC is used to measure your family's current income and assets to determine if you will be charged copays for long term care.

Veterans with a compensable service-connected disability are exempt from long-term care copays.

What Evidence Is Needed to Apply?
    To reduce processing time, you may submit the following paperwork

a copy of your discharge papers (DD-214 or “WD” form) if you are not currently receiving benefits from VA,
    military service records indicating that you received a Purple Heart Medal, or
    evidence that you received hostile fire or imminent danger pay or a a combat medal after this date if you indicated that you were in combat after November 11, 1998
    Duty to Assist
    Veterans Claims Act of 2000 and Duty to Assist
    The new law requires that the VA obtain any records in the VA's possession, or within any other Federal agency. The law also mandates the VA tell the claimant what evidence is needed to support their claim. The VA now must make several efforts to obtain any evidence identified by the claimant.

Evidence to support a claim
    By law, the burden of proof falls on the veteran or dependent. Even though the VA is now required to look for evidence, this may take many months. You can help your claim and speed up the process if you can obtain supporting evidence.

Evidence can be any number of items:

The veteran's statements, especially those of combat veterans claiming a "combat related" injury or illness;
    Statements from friends, relatives or anyone that has knowledge of your disability and its relationship to service;
    Medical evidence.
    Any lay statements must fit certain criteria and are not always helpful. Some can be harmful to your claim. You should discuss any statements with your veterans representative before submitting it to the VA.

What if I Need Assistance?
    If you need assistance completing the form, contact:

The Enrollment Coordinator at your local VA health care facility.
    VA’s Health Benefits Service Center at 877-222-VETS (8387),
    A State or County Veterans Service Officer, or
    A Service Officer with a Veteran Service Organization
    Who Can Sign the Form?
    You or the person acting as your Power of Attorney must sign and date the form.

If your Power of Attorney signs and dates the form you must submit a copy of the Power of Attorney with the form.

If you sign with an “X”, then two people that you know should witness you as you sign. They must also sign and print their names on the form.

Where Do I Send My Completed Application?
    Mail the original application with a copy of your supporting materials to your local VA health care facility.

When Will I Receive A Decision On My Application?
    Once your application for enrollment in VA health care system is processed, VA’s Health Eligibility Center will send you a letter informing you of your enrollment priority group assignment and whether you were enrolled.

The letter will also give you instructions on how to appeal the decision if you do not agree with it.

Do I Need to Reapply Annually?
    Veterans who are enrolled will remain enrolled without having to reapply for benefit annually. However, some veterans will need to update their financial information yearly to keep their enrollment priority current. VA will contact these veterans when it is time to update their financial information.

The list is endless for veterans in America and what do we have ?????????
    a pathetic NHS which does not function for Veterans, Members of Parliament with their heads so up their own a**es with their own benefits and allowances ignoring the veterans needs.They have a cheek to come out one day in the year to remember those who have died for their political mistakes.
  7. It is just plain wrong that the step up in operations and subsequent casualties over the last few years has been met with such deafening lack of support after discharge, or indeed while serving obviously.
  8. TJ, thats a bloody long list, and I suspect that it is not even all of what the VA does. Don't slag off the NHS, they have their own problems and overstretch thanks to this league table culture we have. The poeple on the front line are mostly hard working and very dedicated. They can only do so much with what they have.

In the BBC program about vetrans they said they had an annule budget of $70billion. I know they have a bigger population and all but I am sure that even as a percentage it is massivly higher than what we get from HMG.
  9. Bobath and jackass,

Wanted to quote you both, but when it comes to using the internet, I am significantly mongish.

As regards the NHS, bobath, they really can't cope.

A soldier who was forced to go on one of their 'freestyle' psychological sharing courses told me that the leader of the group went around the table to ask what issues were in the forefront of people's minds.

"I had a car crash", "I haven't opened my post for five years because I don't understand how to pay my taxes", "I'm fat and I hate myself", etc, etc, etc.

The chap I met said: "I shot a child in Basra".

Poor fkucer was asked by the 'leqder' the very next day not to turn up because he'd "upset the rest of the group".

The NHS, mate, is an issue.

Jockass, I can only agree with your sentiments. And we haven't heard the last of this debate by a bloody long chalk.

Best to all

10. The problems with mental health services in the UK are massive and been going on for years.
    In London In-patient services will typically have an occupancy rate of about 120%. Its not all down to funding though, there just aren't enough professionals in the field who are versed in working with Military based PTSD. The Army did have an excellent (if slightly off the wall consultant) but too small a service to be truly helpful.
    The other issue is that many people need to be ready to receive treatment and often the only link is their GP who has often little knowledge of Psychiatry and even less of the Military. It is sad that this happens and will more than likely increase rather than get better as more tours are completed back to back with little time for mental recouperation.
    Group therapy is really only helpful if the group have similar issues they need sharing, even individual therapy needs a counsellor who knows what you do for living not just what your job is.
    I have a colleague who was repeatedly attacked by someone they worked with in a Psychiatric setting - biting, scratching, choking, hairpulling. After about 1 year they went to the therapist provided by her trust and the therapist told her she didn't have to put up with and to tell the patient to stop! Genius!
  11. You can't do these things in isolation; you can only draw accurate conclusions from a comparison of both populations; those who have served and those who haven't, adjusted for age and sex.

It's specialist work for people with Maths degrees - and they don't come cheap!

12. Not sure how true the Statistic are !!!!!

At the Start of Brothers In Arms Track I for get the true numbers but of the 255 Killed in The Falklands conlict but over 300 have committed Suicide.

Speaking to a mate who joined up just after the conflict with teh Paras alot came back messed up.

So doesnt really suprise me
  13. It's worth remembering (and I've said this on other topics as well) that the USA doesn't have anything like the NHS, in fact the VA is about the nearest thing it has to an NHS. The free healthcare is still used by US military as a selling point for recruitment. From what I've heard it doesn't work terribly well and is full of more elderly vets with general health problems, just like the NHS in fact (if you replace 'vets' with 'civpop' and in no way implying that they shouldn't be cared for because they are elderly!).

It's a reasonable assumption that if the US did have an NHS type system then it wouldn't have the VA programme as well (or if it did a much reduced version of it). NHS budget for this year is something in the order of £100bn, but comparing %ages is a little meaningless as it all depends on how the money is spent.

JJS is right in many ways. Civ psych services simply don't have the expertise in military PTSD, as in general population terms it's very rare and the will/funding isn't there from management for more training when we are still hugely short of basic CBT therapists, never mind the amount of specialised training required for any form of PTSD.

I can only recall one client (out of about 650) that was ex-military and PTSD diagnosed who was seen by my (admittedly rural) local CMHT when I worked there. Obviously there may be more in other areas, but it isn't as common as you might think. There are many practitioners who work with PTSD as a result of child sexual abuse (much more common, sadly) but most of these are non-statutory and some do a very good job of it.

There is still a lot of PTSD expertise in the army, certainly in the DCMH I last spent time with. Many of these practitioners are ex-forces and have very good track records.

The NHS certainly is an issue, but it's difficult to see how that's going to change in the short/medium term as psychiatry has always been seen as the Cinderella service (see above re training).

I have a recollection that Prof Simon Wesseley et al at King's either are or have been doing research into suicides but can't recall any data.

Last point would be that death certificates certainly don't have 'suicide' written on them! This is outwith the doctor who signs the cert's role. He can only put down the mechanism of death ie gunshot, asphyxiation by hanging etc.

Coroners decide whether the death was suicide/misadventure etc. It's worth noting that many deaths that health professionals are sure (in our own minds) are suicides aren't recorded as such because there isn't concrete evidence that they meant to die (a note for example). They are often recorded as open verdicts. Obviously suicide has implications for life assurance, so it's not a verdict that's easily given unless proof exists for it.

As a consequence it isn't as simple as it may first appear to get accurate figures for completed suicides.
  14. Are there any Veteran self-help groups?

You know, the sort of group that can meet one day a week to discuss their issues with people from similar backgrounds, followed by a couple of jars?

Are there any informal organisations along these lines?
  15. To all the above - exactly. The resources are not there, the experienced NHS staff are not there, and the general population havent got a clue. After WW2 the majority of servicemen when they came back could find sympathy as so many had served. Althought there was no doubt alot of stiffupperlip'd to it culturally then the guys knew what each other had gone through. Now, the BB gawping generation havent really got a clue, nor the inclination to find out other than casually asking what it was like as if sharing holiday stories.
    Going back to the WW2 example plenty still are meeting up and revisiting france (or the falklands to use another example) all these years later. Maybe it was an advantage with generally all having the generally similar service timeframe whereas people leave individually in over a rolling period. But too many people seem to be being cast into an unsupportive wilderness.
    Its a bit early to go touring round Al Amarah and Sangin or wherever in coach parties just yet obviously, but I cant help thinking that more can be done to ensure that regimental organisations get people together more often. Invite to rugby tournaments or other such stuff to bring the old boys into the regimental fold now and again. Those that turn up get a chance to chat, those that don't, maybe a subtle and hopefully un-inquisitive call to see if anything is up. Not from some unknown, but from an NCO or soldier that was once a buddy. I hate to get all wishy washy and touchy feely, but there are guys obviously with nowhere to turn who are too proud to ask for help. But a friendly phonecall from an old buddy might swing him (or her) back into the network.
    Anyway, my 2p worth. I'm going to phone some of the boys over the next week anyway. Ahem, any excuse for a quiet beer and to yarn a few tall tales really obviously....