Veterans social welfare and access to healthcare

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Major Catastrophe, Jun 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Veterans are the men and women who have served in the Royal Navy, Army and Royal Air Force (Regular or Reserve), and who have now left to rejoin civilian life.Because of their military service, their healthcare needs can be different from those of other patients.​
    Service in the Armed Forces is different from other occupations. Apart from the obvious uncertainties and dangers, Service people relinquish some of their own civil liberties and put themselves in harm’s way to protect others.As an illustration, the risk of death (occupational attributable mortality) for the Army overall is currently around one in 1000 per year, or about 150 times greater than for the general working population. Risk of serious injury (for example loss of limbs, eyes or other body parts) is substantially increased.Because of this, the government promises to help and support people in the Armed Forces when they need it most. This is ‘the Military Covenant’, which is now to be enacted in law.The general principle set out by government is simply for ‘no disadvantage’ to veterans and their families due to their military service, compared with society generally.​
    It is estimated that there are around fourmillion veterans, around half of whom leftthe Services before 1960. In addition, inthe Armed Forces community, there are5.4 million adult spouses, partners,widowers and child dependants. Around18,000 Service people move back intocivilian life every year, including around2000 who leave the Services on medicalgrounds. Veterans may prefer to useother terms to describe themselves, suchas ‘ex-Serviceman’.​
    Medical records​
    Veterans are given a personal copy oftheir summary medical record when theyleave the Services, together withinformation on how you, as their new orcurrent GP, can obtain their full Servicemedical record if you need it. TheDepartment of Health (DH) is currentlyworking with the Ministry of Defence(MoD) to register Service leavers directlyand facilitate direct transfer of theirmedical records to you as they registerwith your practice.

Some questions then.....

1/ Why does the Department of health not include veterans family or dependants in the Gateway referance providing priority treatment to healthcare.

A veteran claims a war disablement pension at 70% degree of disability. He has Mobility and Care needs. His wife is his main carer and unfortunately falls ill with lets say gall bladder. The wife requires clinical intervention and is placed on the surgical waiting list. Under the gateway referance she is not given any priority at all. Overall result is that the veterans does not recieve quality care and becomes vulnerable due to reduced or impaired care provision.​

2. Uh, because giving nearly 20% of the population first dibs on the health bus means everyone else, no matter how deserving gets left off?

Example: Aircraftsman Nobby of the Ryan Air Force serves an arduous 3 years handing out pencils in the stores at RAF Golfcourse in the Wolds, him and his mrs now get 1st class tickets ahead of Civie Craftman Bert who's done 30 years at RAF Golfcourse in the Wolds and suffers health related problems from the job. Bert and his sick mrs take a back seat to Nobby, his wife and any kids they have.
  3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

4. The MOD signed a memorandum of understanding and a declaration of understanding with the NHS when the armed forces closed its military hospitals. it is these constitutions that enable veterans to access priority treatment.

The murrison report "fighting fit...." by Dr andrew Murrison sealed this. By emphasising that veterans are getting a poor deal.

8% of all GP practices' registrants are veterans
  5. I can't seem to recall the staff at RNH Haslar telling civvies to sit at the back and wait while fast tracking every one who wore rig at some point or their dependants through.
  6. Such a shame you dont understand the thread its content or the question combined with the senario.
  7. I'm all ears, edumacate me.
  8. He is actually. He's like a Volkswagen with the door open.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Oh goody, inspite of the fact that it's 30 years since I was in, I can go straight to the top of the queue for anything I want! Yeesss, I like this. Can I get my missus, my kids, my grand kids, my favourite mates and totty that winks at me because they like old fellahs like me the same deal because by association, they served as well!

I'm sure the rest of the country won't mind. After all, their ailments are nothing in comparison with those that us ex squaddies and all those I've mentioned on this list are suffering from eh!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  10. 8% of GP practice patients are veterans? Rubbish.
  11. I suspect though that that's down to a bow-wave of WW2 & National Service veterans, as they die off (what with them being 70+ by now) that would drop right down

Edit: From the link to the OP's cut & paste
    "It is estimated that there are around four
    million veterans, around half of whom left
    the Services before 1960"
  12. @ the OP; if you are going to quote a source directly, would you please have the decency to attribute their efforts and put their work into a quote block. Then take the time to resolve formatting errors that invariably creep in, followed by sorting-out your own spelling mistakes.

Following these simple measures will add to our enjoyment of your contribution. Thank-you.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Really? The army are having ~100 casualties/year? Hmmm, a bit of googling shows its
    "service in the Army in the challenging conditions of Afghanistan carries risks far exceeding those of any other UK occupation. In 2009 this was equivalent to a risk of death (occupational attributable mortality) of around 1 in 1000 for the Army as a whole" so true, and still more dangerous than anyother occupation, but a bit misleading

Royal College of General Practitioners - Ebulletin Nov 2010