Veterans sleeping on the streets, true or false ?

Aquavite

War Hero
There's a bloke who goes begging outside my local B&Q. He is very intimidating and aggressive to female members of staff and public but different to the blokes. He has a variety of signs he carries around in a little trolley that he pulls behind a battered bicycle - one claims its his 30th birthday, another claims he lost everything to fraud and another claims he was in the army.

I once asked him what regiment of the Army did he serve in... His answer? The Royal Marines.
Normal SOPs in cases like this are to take a run-up, toe punt the dosser into an instant coma and lag on his doss bag

*Copyright "Geordie W", SoHo, circa 1992.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ahhhh, the mystic sheet change. Every Wednesday between 11:00 and 11:01 when you had fcuk all chance of attending.

when I had aquired a perfect new set, I used to wash them in the block washing machine. Lasted me a few years.
We used to change ours with A Sqn. But it was on Thursdays.

Chef

LE
There's a bloke who goes begging outside my local B&Q. He is very intimidating and aggressive to female members of staff and public but different to the blokes. He has a variety of signs he carries around in a little trolley that he pulls behind a battered bicycle - one claims its his 30th birthday, another claims he lost everything to fraud and another claims he was in the army.

I once asked him what regiment of the Army did he serve in... His answer? The Royal Marines.
Did he spin you a dit about rescuing cats and dogs from the Taliban? If so he's probably gen.

If there is a higher number of veterans sleeping on the street, is a possible reason being that they may be better equipped to do so than the general population?

Most veterans will have slept out in arduous conditions both with and without a sleeping bag and may as a result be more able to cope with sleeping on the streets both mentally and physically.

Aquavite

War Hero
If there is a higher number of veterans sleeping on the street, is a possible reason being that they may be better equipped to do so than the general population?

Most veterans will have slept out in arduous conditions both with and without a sleeping bag and may as a result be more able to cope with sleeping on the streets both mentally and physically.
Yeah, it's obviously all to do with the bouncing bomb doss bag.

I can only give you local numbers.

Before CV19 we had about 120 Rough sleepers on our lists. One (or maybe two?) claimed to be veteran.

Some bloke begging at Paddington station told me he was a " Loo-tenant" in the British army
He lived in the bogs? What is the world coming to?

Has anybody bothered to ask the homeless what they want? Or is it just an assumption they want a house/job/car/debt/stress?

BrookBond

On ROPS
On ROPs
The MOD allow the nomenclature of 'veteran' for somebody that has served just one day.

Notwithstanding that there are many, many reasons why anybody could find themselves homeless, I suspect that if somebody only lasted one day in HM Forces, they would probably struggle with a lot of things that life throws at them.

It would be interesting to see how long any of these homeless veterans actually served.
Where did you get this from? Utter crap.
constant myth being promoted in the media that " veterans are sleeping on the streets
Ah ok it must be a myth that there are organizations out there who try and help them.

Endoscope

LE
Book Reviewer
Where did you get this from? Utter crap.

Ah ok it must be a myth that there are organizations out there who try and help them.
Nope, he's quite correct....

Who is a “veteran” in the UK ? Veterans are defined as anyone who has served for at least one day in Her Majesty's Armed Forces (Regular or Reserve) or Merchant Mariners who have seen duty on legally defined military operations.
Screenshot_20211217-211931_Samsung Notes.jpg

Nothing new under the sun. ISTR we had this conversation at least 15 years ago.

I posted then that I was a practice manager for a group of doctors in Leicester. They had two homeless hostels they looked after and asked me, as an ex-squaddie, to try and chat to some as there was a rather large ex-servicemen percentage among those dossing down.

Both hostels had about 80 beds and the proportion of ex-servicemen seemed to be about 60 of them.
I had a chat to most of them and found that only 2 had actually done more than a year in the Forces. Others had "applied" to join and been turned down but still classed themselves as ex. More than 20 had turned up for basic training and either opted out or were booted out before training finished. I think, long time ago, that a dozen of them had gone through basic and then binned, or got binned, on the next phase and most of those were for drinking or psych problems.

Only one had actually served at least 6 years and was being treated for PTSD due to being on Galahad in the Falklands. Funnily enough, he was the only one who made an effort in the morning by washing and shaving etc.

Out of the 60, just two were genuine "veterans".

The hostels may not be the best examples as the rule was anyone obviously on drugs or in an inebriated state were not allowed a bed for the night. They were given breakfast at 8 in the morning and then had to leave and couldn't book back in until 6 that evening. Quite a lot would hang around the bus or train station with "ex-serviceman" cards and begging.

My conclusion to the doctors was that the vast majority would have failed in life as they did in the Forces.

Has anybody bothered to ask the homeless what they want? Or is it just an assumption they want a house/job/car/debt/stress?

I had many conversations with single homeless when I was a volunteer for a long established and practical organisation which few, certainly outside London, will have heard of.
It doesn't make them any less worthy of sympathy of course, but so many will tell you what they believe is what you want to hear
You are right of course, and the perception often becomes the fact.

Chef

LE
If helps to do some homework, before you start getting all mouthy.

I accept apologies, before I twat your (sock) account with so many points you won't be coming back.
Stone me, I've just discovered I qualify as a veteran! With the colours, man and boy, in the TA* 25 odd years and I can apply for a free badge. Truly we live in an age of bounty.

*Boy first man later obviously.

Latest Threads