Veterans sleeping on the streets, true or false ?

A constant myth being promoted in the media that " veterans are sleeping on the streets " implying large numbers, or a scandal, but no one is providing any evidence to back this up, all I can find is this which says the number is no worse than any other group. The answer " one is too many" is not practical and will never happen.

There is the fact that " veteran" doesn't actually mean anything, in MOD terms an RAF bedding storeman is a veteran, as is the most injured war veteran, should the former get priority treatment to rehouse them equal to the latter ?

The less than handful I've seen (actually advertising their status) have turned out to be full of shit and had no idea about sheet changes on Wednesdays.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Book Reviewer
A constant myth being promoted in the media that " veterans are sleeping on the streets " implying large numbers, or a scandal, but no one is providing any evidence to back this up, all I can find is this which says the number is no worse than any other group. The answer " one is too many" is not practical and will never happen.

There is the fact that " veteran" doesn't actually mean anything, in MOD terms an RAF bedding storeman is a veteran, as is the most injured war veteran, should the former get priority treatment to rehouse them equal to the latter ?
The MOD allow the nomenclature of 'veteran' for somebody that has served just one day.

Notwithstanding that there are many, many reasons why anybody could find themselves homeless, I suspect that if somebody only lasted one day in HM Forces, they would probably struggle with a lot of things that life throws at them.

It would be interesting to see how long any of these homeless veterans actually served.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I would sleep on the street, but instead, saved my monies while serving and bought a house rather than drinking it all, buying a flash car and going on expensive holidays.

Aquavite

War Hero
It's normally the admin-case critter who did minimal time in the army before an admin discharge. Arrsehole in civvy life, arrsehole in army life.

ches

LE
I seem to recall as study a while ago that found there was no difference in veteran/civ pop homeless ratio than in any other 'group'.

Its a typical media hyped non story

Probably the same calibre of individuals that claim to be suffering from PTSD to cover up their substance misuse and/ or wife beating tendencies rather than having experienced events that would impact their mental health. It detracts from those genuinely suffering/ in need.

'Veteran' is a tenuous description of some characters.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
It means nothing but while helping someone else do some charity stuff for the homeless at Christmas a couple of years ago I met three claiming to be veterans, I'd say only one was gen.

45x45

LE

There have to be millions of veterans sleeping on the streets? If that's not the case whose houses are the migrants taking up? Any bellend who compares veterans to migrants to get a rise should be smacked in the teeth with a track clamp.

45x45

LE
The question is; do Veterans make up a bigger percentage of the UK's homeless, than they do of the general population?
Probably not..
But the point is when they go off track they are more likely to end up in jail or committing suicide. The wrong questions are being asked.
Are there more veterans living on the streets, suffering from addiction issues and PTSD.... CAUSED BY their previous line of work. Yes.
Without discussing cause then numbers mean nothing.

B42T

LE
The less than handful I've seen (actually advertising their status) have turned out to be full of shit and had no idea about sheet changes on Wednesdays.

Ahhhh, the mystic sheet change. Every Wednesday between 11:00 and 11:01 when you had fcuk all chance of attending.

when I had aquired a perfect new set, I used to wash them in the block washing machine. Lasted me a few years.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

Ritch

LE
There's a bloke who goes begging outside my local B&Q. He is very intimidating and aggressive to female members of staff and public but different to the blokes. He has a variety of signs he carries around in a little trolley that he pulls behind a battered bicycle - one claims its his 30th birthday, another claims he lost everything to fraud and another claims he was in the army.

I once asked him what regiment of the Army did he serve in... His answer? The Royal Marines.

Chef

LE
I feel the whole debate needs slightly more defined parameters as without that the numbers are as has been said pretty meaningless.

I notice that the photograph for WLM, helping British servicemen seems to be an American saluting.

There's a bloke who goes begging outside my local B&Q. He is very intimidating and aggressive to female members of staff and public but different to the blokes. He has a variety of signs he carries around in a little trolley that he pulls behind a battered bicycle - one claims its his 30th birthday, another claims he lost everything to fraud and another claims he was in the army.

I once asked him what regiment of the Army did he serve in... His answer? The Royal Marines.
He's gen.

Latest Threads