Veteran's 'rights' - Your view

Veterans should be entitled to:

• Priority NHS treatment for life.

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • Priority NHS treatment for service related injuries.

Votes: 104 86.0%
  • Free private medical treatment for service related injuries.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Priority access for children's school places.

Votes: 27 22.3%
  • Discounted mortgage rates for life.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • Tax free pensions.

Votes: 40 33.1%
  • Priority access to Local Authority housing.

Votes: 59 48.8%
  • Discounted rent on Local Authority housing.

Votes: 21 17.4%
  • Free annual private medical exams for physical and mental health.

Votes: 33 27.3%
  • Guaranteed job interviews when applying for roles within the public sector.

Votes: 41 33.9%

• Total voters
I agree with the majority- and it's pretty commonsense stuff. Anything that's a consequence of service should be looked after, including there probably being a case for being helped with housing due to the transient nature of the job- maybe that could kick in after the 12 year point but then be retrospective. Service personnel should get a pension in line with politicians (pro rata obviously).

Two certificates on my bog wall from Mensa say otherwise, and my now paid for 4 bed detached pad, in its own grounds are the result of 40 years of hard graft, if I can do it, anyone can.
WTF is the size of your house or that it’s paid off got to do with it?

Pontificating prick.

I agree but none of that is financial, working out what you have to spend, it's just maths and english. Officers aren't "offered" financial advice, they have to deal with financial matters. ORs not so much. Again I'll state if the numbers demonstrate that there is a service related problem, MOD should do some work on it...duty of care. Not that that means much these days.
Finance is maths - numbers in and numbers out. It's as simple as that.

I agree with the majority- and it's pretty commonsense stuff. Anything that's a consequence of service should be looked after, including there probably being a case for being helped with housing due to the transient nature of the job- maybe that could kick in after the 12 year point but then be retrospective. Service personnel should get a pension in line with politicians (pro rata obviously).
This is to difficult to be that black and white. I've got fucked knees from skiing and a fucked back from Rugby, should I get to the front of any queue? Also, we earn a lot of money. Why should we be in front of anyone for a house?

I can clean up your warehouse in no time.
I don't doubt it, but you'll have to acquire a few more garages to hold my vast inventory

If there's causation..I'd skin it by compulsory finance modules on CLM. At least MOD could demonstrate that it led the horse to the water.
Financial advice cannot be done from within the Armed Forces, regulation prevents it.

If someone needs to be taught how to manage their money then they really aren’t ready for Command, Leadership or Management.

**** me, it's like stirring treacle. If the numbers and analysis (probably by the daily mail) show there's a service related issue, MOD should do something about it. Make the numbers change not go "people shouldn't be mongs".
You are still dancing around the answer arent you? It not the MODs fault that feckless people in numbers greater than the national average (by percentage) might join up and continue to be feckless after they leave.
Why the **** should decent soldiers future pay rises be spent on ********* who think its ok to piss their lives up the wall?

I don't doubt it, but you'll have to acquire a few more garages to hold my vast inventory
You're talking to a bloke who used to work in Bicester Garrison.

You are still dancing around the answer arent you? It not the MODs fault that feckless people in numbers greater than the national average (by percentage) might join up and continue to be feckless after they leave.
Why the **** should decent soldiers future pay rises be spent on ********* who think its ok to piss their lives up the wall?
@stacker1 this is about what the press thinks, nothing else, including me, because I have a completely different take.

Financial advice cannot be done from within the Armed Forces, regulation prevents it.

If someone needs to be taught how to manage their money then they really aren’t ready for Command, Leadership or Management.
Regulation or law? Either can be changed. And we're not talking financial advice really are we as that relates to investment as opposed to balancing your personal books

I quite like the old Roman idea that if you want to enter the senate then you have to have served the state. This doesn't necessarily need to be in a military capacity, but I think those who've done public service as teachers/nhs/forces should get an easier opportunity to enter politics. It would certainly make a difference to having yet another businessman, lawyer or politics student. Where are all the doctors, engineers and scientists?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Absolutely, Churchill should never have been allowed to lead the country as he was always skint and borrowing money or explaining to his bank manager why his account was empty.

I quite like the old Roman idea that if you want to enter the senate then you have to have served the state. This doesn't necessarily need to be in a military capacity, but I think those who've done public service as teachers/nhs/forces should get an easier opportunity to enter politics. It would certainly make a difference to having yet another businessman, lawyer or politics student. Where are all the doctors, engineers and scientists?
Working.

@stacker1 this is about what the press thinks, nothing else, including me, because I have a completely different take.
Right so far from the MOD paying for things that is their fault, they should pay because the press says so.

Im beginning to understand some of your earlier posts, youre all about the image rather than doing the right thing.

Last edited:
Regulation or law? Either can be changed. And we're not talking financial advice really are we as that relates to investment as opposed to balancing your personal books
The MOD do not want the responsibility of giving financial advice because if it goes tits up they will have to pay compo.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Condor Charities and Welfare 4
D The NAAFI Bar 3
Zero_Over The NAAFI Bar 13