Veteran's 'rights' - Your view

Veterans should be entitled to:

• Priority NHS treatment for life.

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • Priority NHS treatment for service related injuries.

Votes: 104 86.0%
  • Free private medical treatment for service related injuries.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Priority access for children's school places.

Votes: 27 22.3%
  • Discounted mortgage rates for life.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • Tax free pensions.

Votes: 40 33.1%
  • Priority access to Local Authority housing.

Votes: 59 48.8%
  • Discounted rent on Local Authority housing.

Votes: 21 17.4%
  • Free annual private medical exams for physical and mental health.

Votes: 33 27.3%
  • Guaranteed job interviews when applying for roles within the public sector.

Votes: 41 33.9%

• Total voters
Less bullshit as a civvy driver? Dream on.
I know plenty of ex army who are doing it, they have less complaints. Its doubtful some penis is ever going to come around their house and demand to see a TV licence on the side of their TV.

Less bullshit as a civvy driver? Dream on.
Paint those kerbstones, why is your truck not as shiny as the others, you left your bed unmade this morning, your kettle was in the kitchen this morning, I cut the plug off of it. Your creases are not perfectly straight, your hair is too long, did you shave this morning? Stand over there with everyone else for an hour whilst we make sure you have dressed yourself properly. Why do you have things in your pockets?

Paint those kerbstones, why is your truck not as shiny as the others, you left your bed unmade this morning, your kettle was in the kitchen this morning, I cut the plug off of it. Your creases are not perfectly straight, your hair is too long, did you shave this morning? Stand over there with everyone else for an hour whilst we make sure you have dressed yourself properly. Why do you have things in your pockets?
If Maz sees this your a dead man :)

I suggest that we need to think about the issue in broadly three areas:

Remuneration and welfare support.. Service people need to be paid at a socially acceptable and attractive rate. I remember the days of soldiers on benefits. This should never happen. I don't really mind if the system is taxed or tax free, as long as what ends up in the pocket is roughly the same. As part of this deal, something needs to address three areas where the peripatetic service life throws up specific problems. These are housing, health and family employment..
Are they? Most people are back in the UK now - what disadvantage do they suffer compared to their civilian neighbours? The pay and overall package, meanwhile, is generally far superior to that of their civilian peers - and the subsidised housing should allow the accumulation of a deposit for a future house.

Status and Reputation. Trained military individuals are a national asset, and should be seen as such. The country has invested in them and should take more care of them should they be needed in the future. There could be much more overt recognition of the character and abilities of ex-servicemen and much more effort to carry qualifications and employment over to civilian life. Equally it should be recognised that ex-servicemen are held to a higher sense of behaviour by the media..("ex squaddy pensioner convicted of theft"), however the media seldom sell the up side..! Do not dismiss the importance of symbols and badges.. they mean a lot to some people and their value in recognising sacrifice and selfless commitment must not be dismissed. They cost little, but gain immeasurable benefits for society.
Are they a national asset? Do they have such skills? The numerous stories of helpless veterans indicates a much different reality.

Legal status and protection. This is a newish one, however there seems to be a growing trend in retrospective legislation, and this needs to be addressed. Ex-servicefolk need to be protected from and supported in defending legal attacks on actions taken in the line of duty. Whilst I am in no way condoning war crimes, the battlefield is never the same context as the High Street, even on a Saturday night.. To expose service individuals to political attack through civil and international courts long after the incidents have occurred is iniquitous. The abandonment of Crown Immunity was incredibly stupid, even by our craven politicians..
Agreed.

None of the above.

The military should however be liable for their personnel's medical care regarding injuries in the line of duty until they are fit to live an independent life outside the military, both physically and mentally.
I would further suggest it would pay the government to make more effort to ensure personnel are mentally prepared to integrate into civilian life.
These two would be quite expensive enough.

Still less than the average driver has to put up with. Trust me.

I have spent around £60 on dental since 2011.

Eddie Stobart yeah?

Am I the only one who hates that term 'veteran? I'm not a veteran, I'm a bloke who used to be in the Army; I used to do that for a living, now I don't.
Or worse, a 'vet'.

I will relate a story I was told when working in the Main tax complex in Telford many years ago. The budget is formulated from an inner sanctum , monies for the following year are budgeted in with monies that ALL main charities receive, In that lets say, for argument, £100M for foriegn aid, deduct the monies received from , lets say, Oxfam, £10M, total amount allocated to foriegn aid £90M. the shysters at the treasury cost in charity money, thus saving themselves the task of shelling out our hard earned, which in turn get pissed up the wall on things like HS2, perks and expenses of thieving MP's, and other worthy enterprises.
I understand that, I just don’t really care. I also think that given the inefficiency in some charity organisations and a desire to spend the money they have when they have it that they don’t always represent value for money in the long term.

Rehab centres being funded by the public is just something that stuck in my craw.

And leavenoff HS2, I hope to get in that trough one day.

Thanks for reinforcing my point, that large numbers have no qualifications.
That's why they take the queens shilling, on my intake in 72 over half of the lads had no qualifications, most were from the depressed north east, only myself and about half a dozen others had any trade skills.

Last edited:
I understand that, I just don’t really care. I also think that given the inefficiency in some charity organisations and a desire to spend the money they have when they have it that they don’t always represent value for money in the long term.

Rehab centres being funded by the public is just something that stuck in my craw.

And leavenoff HS2, I hope to get in that trough one day.
R U A contractor, or an MP?, just asking.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Condor Charities and Welfare 4
D The NAAFI Bar 3
Zero_Over The NAAFI Bar 13