Veteran's 'rights' - Your view

Veterans should be entitled to:

• Priority NHS treatment for life.

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • Priority NHS treatment for service related injuries.

Votes: 98 86.7%
  • Free private medical treatment for service related injuries.

Votes: 38 33.6%
  • Priority access for children's school places.

Votes: 26 23.0%
  • Discounted mortgage rates for life.

Votes: 14 12.4%
  • Tax free pensions.

Votes: 37 32.7%
  • Priority access to Local Authority housing.

Votes: 57 50.4%
  • Discounted rent on Local Authority housing.

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Free annual private medical exams for physical and mental health.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • Guaranteed job interviews when applying for roles within the public sector.

Votes: 37 32.7%

• Total voters
The pay for an 18 year old with no qualifications is far better in the army than almost everywhere else, as soldiers move further up the food chain, (depending on the work load) you can earn more on civvie street.
When I was a LCpl I did something like 18 weeks in a single year on multiple exercises. If I was a civvie I would probably have been paid a small fortune for those 18 weeks, in the army I got LSA (Sometimes) and free food.

Things like a free gym are only a perk if you would use one in civvie street, most soldiers use the gym because they have too, not because they want to. Dental is free in civvie street (although alot harder to get). The housing can be substandard, or in the middle of nowhere, or you move every few years,
Got to disagree there. There is an expectation that one could earn similar on civvy street in a comparable role but it really needs expectations to be managed. It will take a while to get there.

As an example - Yodel offering £80k plus bens for a Logistic Manager being seen as a comparable job role to Army SNCO/Officer Logistics Management. Not a chance.

In reality - the level of sophistication and notion of civvy supply chains and military chains are vastly different. That doesn't mean the calibre of individual is not there in the Army, but there is a growing skills gap in the nuts and bolts area.

When I first joined the army had peaks and troughs.

I was also lucky toward the end of my career, I got a logistic regiment, where I had fit, motivated, CO, RSM, OC and SSM. I then got a NATO posting. (So I had 5-6 years of good morale)

I'm just after a pension and currently applying for jobs, if I get the one I want they can stick the remainder of Veng up their arse. A hell of a lot of seniors are the same, even WO1s are jacking it in.

At the end of my career, its mainly a trough, I do not envy the young soldiers of today.

Got to disagree there. There is an expectation that one could earn similar on civvy street in a comparable role but it really needs expectations to be managed. It will take a while to get there.

As an example - Yodel offering £80k plus bens for a Logistic Manager being seen as a comparable job role to Army SNCO/Officer Logistics Management. Not a chance.

In reality - the level of sophistication and notion of civvy supply chains and military chains are vastly different. That doesn't mean the calibre of individual is not there in the Army, but there is a growing skills gap in the nuts and bolts area.

Who the **** is earning 80k in a regiment except the CO?
Lets take my role as a tom when I was a picker-monkey in Bicester. I was also a guard, someone who went on tour, someone who went on exercise, waited on (not always with ED pay), pass physical tests, pass my map reading and other such military related stuff. When we were replaced with civvies, they undoubtedly got paid less but all they did was come in at 8, pick stores and leave at 5. They also got paid double bubble at the weekend.
Plenty of my mates who have left have found better paying jobs and I dont just mean senior NCOs I include juniors as well.

The pay for an 18 year old with no qualifications is far better in the army than almost everywhere else, as soldiers move further up the food chain, (depending on the work load) you can earn more on civvie street.
Having worked my way to the top of the non-commissioned food chain in the TA and for 30-odd years had an almost identical military and civvy career, I feel better qualified than most to comment on this.

My current civvy salary is roughly equivalent to a corporal's salary. Even if I were to work every weekend and allowed for overtime payments, I'd still be on little more than a sergeant. And my pension kicks in at age 66.

It was a very different situation 40 years ago, when Army pay was roughly half civvy pay.

So when I hear soldiers bleating that they're poorly paid and deserve favoured treatment, you'll forgive me when I fail to express sympathy.

Having worked my way to the top of the non-commissioned food chain in the TA and for 30-odd years had an almost identical military and civvy career, I feel better qualified than most to comment on this.

My current civvy salary is roughly equivalent to a corporal's salary. Even if I were to work every weekend and allowed for overtime payments, I'd still be on little more than a sergeant. And my pension kicks in at age 66.

It was a very different situation 40 years ago, when Army pay was roughly half civvy pay.

So when I hear soldiers bleating that they're poorly paid and deserve favoured treatment, you'll forgive me when I fail to express sympathy.
You'll forgive me when I laugh at your "military" career. Jesus, these uppity hobbyists.......

When we were replaced with civvies, they undoubtedly got paid less but all they did was come in at 8, pick stores and leave at 5. They also got paid double bubble at the weekend.
Strangely enough, for much of my working life, I was leaving home at 05:30, back at 22:00, doing a couple of hours work at home before starting the same routine the next day. There was a time when weekend overtime attracted 2x pay but that dropped to 1.25x about 15 years ago. My final-salary pension went by the wayside at the same time.

Army life - it's a doddle. Granted, there are some ex-soldiers who fall lucky when they come out of the Army but there'll be rather more whose expectations are dashed.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
wrt the NHS thing, I feel that the Govt has an open-ended moral commitment to anyone it employs who is damaged at work, which should be translated into ensuing appropriate and sufficient medical treatment, however provided, including rehab. That includes getting wounded or PTSD, and the same applies in my view to supporting widows, orphans or other dependants. It is scandalous that in so many cases the Govt tips it over the wall onto the charity sector.

Kipling, as quoted above.

Am I the only one who hates that term 'veteran? I'm not a veteran, I'm a bloke who used to be in the Army; I used to do that for a living, now I don't.

Am I the only one who hates that term 'veteran? I'm not a veteran, I'm a bloke who used to be in the Army; I used to do that for a living, now I don't.
A term introduced by someone with a job in PR on the orders of someone in Authority, who thought it would save money and calm the savage soldiery. Likewise silly badges and cards and what-have-you.
Reminds me of 'RUC GC', © Mandy.

Veteran seems to be a synonym for victim in some (mostly well-intentioned) usage. I'm not a fan either.

I was in the Regular army once and had a fabulous lifestyle, sufficient pay and probably the best non-contributory final salary pension scheme going in the UK (may AFPS 70 RIP) outside parliament and merchant banking. For this, I had to spend the occasional 6 months going for country walks in the most NW and wet corner of the UK and be prepared to wait, fly, dig and die should the crumbling Soviet Union decide to have a go at NATO. It was a pretty good living. Now I work for a living and find myself working with plenty of people who have worked harder, for less, with as much f@cking about and much less sport and AT than I had. I don't buy this "all veterans are entitled" thing.

there are some ex-soldiers who fall lucky
Not luck, bloody hard work integrating back into the civvie mind-set, reapplying for my trade credentials, being knocked back beacause of army service overseas, going back to nights school to get back my J.I.B. accreditation, finding a company that will employ me, while still having bills to pay and feed a family, no help asked for or given. Eventually getting a start back in the building and construction trade, and earning a bloody sight more for the same trade in the army, and now, 40 years down the line retired, and at long last, reaping the rewards of a hard won battle to survive. Edit To Add:- A free bus tram and train pass, free pills and potions, & free eye care. I worked for it, I paid in to it for 50 years, and it is my right , as it is anyone's entitlement when they retire, Veteran or not.

Last edited:
Let's be honest, considering how many people are in the Army, how many are going to be ordered to charge down a machine gun.

As for wiggling about what you do in the factory, you were inferring low skill, low pay.

The Army is not a badly paid job. Particularly when you take into account that large numbers of the Army have few, if any, formal qualifications

Not going home every night is far from being unique to the Army. Speak to sales reps, truck drivers and tens of thousands of others who don't get home every night.
Yeah but when they do get home they can make a potnoodle.

Look after those who we injured physically and mentally (although their are a fair few riding on the coattails of PTSD unfortunately).

Pay them the pension terms that they initially signed up to or voluntary signed up to (whatever the cost)

Then join the queue like everyone else.

As far as I am aware, no is conscripted, no one is forced to join and everyone gets a fairly decent wage while they are in.

Oh and ban the wearing of crested blazers and badly shaped berets in all public places, except for remembrance/ commerative events and tell the sad old f*ckers to get a hobby ^~
I can remember quite a few old geezers wearing medal ribbons on civvy suits when I was a lad. They were never denigrated.

I can remember quite a few old geezers wearing medal ribbons on civvy suits when I was a lad. They were never denigrated.
Me to, back in the late fifties, it was the WW1 veterans that proudly wore them as a matter of course, today you only see gongs or ribbons on special occasions.

What I would like to see is government provision of the stuff we seem to accept charities are needed for.
I will relate a story I was told when working in the Main tax complex in Telford many years ago. The budget is formulated from an inner sanctum , monies for the following year are budgeted in with monies that ALL main charities receive, In that lets say, for argument, £100M for foriegn aid, deduct the monies received from , lets say, Oxfam, £10M, total amount allocated to foriegn aid £90M. the shysters at the treasury cost in charity money, thus saving themselves the task of shelling out our hard earned, which in turn get pissed up the wall on things like HS2, perks and expenses of thieving MP's, and other worthy enterprises.

Strangely enough, for much of my working life, I was leaving home at 05:30, back at 22:00, doing a couple of hours work at home before starting the same routine the next day. There was a time when weekend overtime attracted 2x pay but that dropped to 1.25x about 15 years ago. My final-salary pension went by the wayside at the same time.

Army life - it's a doddle. Granted, there are some ex-soldiers who fall lucky when they come out of the Army but there'll be rather more whose expectations are dashed.
Get another job then, the civvie picker monkeys in Bicester were on about 17 quid an hour on a weekend. (I'll admit I dont know the current pay packet).
However, drive trucks around for the British army or civvie firms for more pay and less bullshit?
HGV Class 1 Driver Jobs - February 2018 | Indeed.co.uk

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Condor Charities and Welfare 4
D The NAAFI Bar 3
Zero_Over The NAAFI Bar 13