Veteran's 'rights' - Your view

Veterans should be entitled to:

• Priority NHS treatment for life.

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • Priority NHS treatment for service related injuries.

Votes: 104 86.0%
  • Free private medical treatment for service related injuries.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Priority access for children's school places.

Votes: 27 22.3%
  • Discounted mortgage rates for life.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • Tax free pensions.

Votes: 40 33.1%
  • Priority access to Local Authority housing.

Votes: 59 48.8%
  • Discounted rent on Local Authority housing.

Votes: 21 17.4%
  • Free annual private medical exams for physical and mental health.

Votes: 33 27.3%
  • Guaranteed job interviews when applying for roles within the public sector.

Votes: 41 33.9%

• Total voters

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
We shouldn't think simply in terms of what can be given to ex-Forces, there's also the question of what ex-Forces can give back.

For example, I'm all for giving ex-Forces preferential access to public sector jobs and challenging the left wing mindset that predominates there. I'd also give ex-Forces subsidised preferential access to the better universities for the same reason, which would also help recruitment.

It's entirely fair given that anyone prepared to risk their life to serve their country has demonstrated an aptitude for public service far beyond anything demonstrated by some unkempt SJW with a Sociology degree, not to mention that this country would be better off sustaining those who value it rather than those who wish to tear it down.

It depends how you look at it. As an ex squaddie, I don't want special treatment.

However, if you want blokes to sign up to a hard job that may mean putting their lives on their line, you need to offer something more than factory wages. Demonstrating that society gives a fuck isn't a bad way to go about it.

I've not ticked any of the options but I would tweak two of them.
On leaving after serving say 5 years or more, married soldiers should be given a notional "length of residence" in the town where they (or their spouse) were living prior to joining up. This would give them equality, rather than preference, on the Local Authority housing list, effectively returning them to the status quo.

On the medical front, I wouldn't give ex-service personnel priority on NHS services because it's a system intended to treat according to need, not on previous occupation. However, I would be inclined to give them (and spouse and under-18 offspring) access to military medical services (MMS). I'd also expand the MMS to the extent of some reversal of the current status, leading to less military reliance on the NHS with excess capacity being offered to the NHS and the private sector. This would take quite a bit of investment as it would only work if the MMS were (and remained) state-of-the-art and incentives were provided to recruit and retain medical staff.

It depends how you look at it. As an ex squaddie, I don't want special treatment.

However, if you want blokes to sign up to a hard job that may mean putting their lives on their line, you need to offer something more than factory wages. Demonstrating that society gives a fuck isn't a bad way to go about it.
I'd say that current pay scales are well above factory wages. Especially when you take into account stuff such as, free gym, dental, subsidized housing etc.

British Army Pay Scales 2017 - 2018 - Armed Forces - Army Officers Pay Rates - Other Ranks Pay Rates - Army 2017 Pay Review

I'd say that current pay scales are well above factory wages. Especially when you take into account stuff such as, free gym, dental, subsidized housing etc.

British Army Pay Scales 2017 - 2018 - Armed Forces - Army Officers Pay Rates - Other Ranks Pay Rates - Army 2017 Pay Review
It depends what you do in the factory. You also get to go home and shag your missis every night, go out drinking every weekend and you're unlikely to be ordered to charge down a machine gun. And if you were, you'd quit.

It depends what you do in the factory. You also get to go home and shag your missis every night, go out drinking every weekend and you're unlikely to be ordered to charge down a machine gun. And if you were, you'd quit.
Let's be honest, considering how many people are in the Army, how many are going to be ordered to charge down a machine gun.

As for wiggling about what you do in the factory, you were inferring low skill, low pay.

The Army is not a badly paid job. Particularly when you take into account that large numbers of the Army have few, if any, formal qualifications

Not going home every night is far from being unique to the Army. Speak to sales reps, truck drivers and tens of thousands of others who don't get home every night.

For me this issue is linked to the question of Army numbers as discussed on another thread. Most of these 'rights' (IMHO) should be considered part of a 'package' i.e. What's needed to recruit (and retain) the required number of the appropriate quality. They could be linked to a 'time served' scale, so that longer service gets a better pay off.

However, I think the one area that goes beyond this is when service results in someone getting fücked up in a way s/he wouldn't expect to be whilst filling shelves at Tesco, hence appropriate continuing medical/disability care, including for (genuine) PTSD.

So 'rights' becomes a question of meeting contractual obligations made on signing on. Plus looking after casualties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with most of the sentiments here in that veterans should not get anything special.

The exception is dealing with those issues directly related to military service which should be a burden not on the NHS and social services etc but on the MOD.

Other than that I would be horrified if I discovered that due to my service I was getting preferential treatment.

Definitely not an outcome I would wish for.

I do believe that one way forward is if injured while serving then most of those options should be available. Serving to pensionable age should allow further options sans NHS/Private med and pensions should be contributory but with some discounting. Also the lowly Private, AB, Aircraftsman should be treated the same as all those SOs and VSOs...but we all know it will never happen. :cool:

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Chuck him out, the brute! "
But it's " Saviour of 'is country " when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An 'Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees!

Oh and ban the wearing of crested blazers and badly shaped berets in all public places, except for remembrance/ commerative events and tell the sad old f*ckers to get a hobby ^~
So you’ve seen them striding proud and erect on Pension day into my local Tesco's with their Bigbury Mint Cold War medal smelling of wee too?

Let's be honest, considering how many people are in the Army, how many are going to be ordered to charge down a machine gun.

As for wiggling about what you do in the factory, you were inferring low skill, low pay.

The Army is not a badly paid job. Particularly when you take into account that large numbers of the Army have few, if any, formal qualifications

Not going home every night is far from being unique to the Army. Speak to sales reps, truck drivers and tens of thousands of others who don't get home every night.
I'm not saying Army wages are bad. I'm saying there are far easier jobs that pay the same or more. Why would an 18 year old decide to join the Army when they could train as a CNC operator and work regular hours? Or go to uni, spend 4 years drinking, and get a cushy office job?

Respect is a large part of the answer, and a bit of public deference is a good way to demonstrate that.

SpaceX have an affirmative action recruiting policy for veterans.

I havm't got $90mil lying around to send my Lexus into space, and thank them for that though.

I'm not saying Army wages are bad. I'm saying there are far easier jobs that pay the same or more. Why would an 18 year old decide to join the Army when they could train as a CNC operator and work regular hours? Or go to uni, spend 4 years drinking, and get a cushy office job?

Respect is a large part of the answer, and a bit of public deference is a good way to demonstrate that.
Because when they weigh it in the balance, they prefer the lifestyle offered by the Army. Nobody is conscripted. They join up because the package on offer is sufficient to entice them to join.

Because when they weigh it in the balance, they prefer the lifestyle offered by the Army. Nobody is conscripted. They join up because the package on offer is sufficient to entice them to join.
Or not. Given current recruitment and retention issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pay for an 18 year old with no qualifications is far better in the army than almost everywhere else, as soldiers move further up the food chain, (depending on the work load) you can earn more on civvie street.
When I was a LCpl I did something like 18 weeks in a single year on multiple exercises. If I was a civvie I would probably have been paid a small fortune for those 18 weeks, in the army I got LSA (Sometimes) and free food.

Things like a free gym are only a perk if you would use one in civvie street, most soldiers use the gym because they have too, not because they want to. Dental is free in civvie street (although alot harder to get). The housing can be substandard, or in the middle of nowhere, or you move every few years,

I agree but I've tried to encompass a lot of the views I've heard expressed recently.
I'd suggest the majority of these views are those of people who think they should be entitled something for nothing.

Normally I'd call them all *******, but Im finished in 18 months so I think us heroes should get all of the options in your poll and more besides.

If I still had a lot of time left, I'd say look after those injured in combat (not those getting hurt on the Rugby pitch) and ensure those who have served are not penalised due to service (Housing/schools when they leave). Everyone else needs to man the **** up.

The pay for an 18 year old with no qualifications is far better in the army than almost everywhere else, as soldiers move further up the food chain, (depending on the work load) you can earn more on civvie street.
When I was a LCpl I did something like 18 weeks in a single year on multiple exercises. If I was a civvie I would probably have been paid a small fortune for those 18 weeks, in the army I got LSA (Sometimes) and free food.

Things like a free gym are only a perk if you would use one in civvie street, most soldiers use the gym because they have too, not because they want to. Dental is free in civvie street (although alot harder to get). The housing can be substandard, or in the middle of nowhere, or you move every few years,
Yet you stay in.

Edit. Deserves a longer answer.

As you move up the food chain in civvie street the same law applies. More work more responsibility more pay. If you look at the pay scale I posted earlier then look at vacancies in civvie street on comparable money, they require either a great deal of experience or a great deal of qualifications, often both.

Housing. Unless you are willing to spend a great deal of money on rent or mortgage, you are going to be living in some pretty shitty areas

As for earning a fortune because you were out of barracks, very few companies pay anything other than actuals for being away from home. No money to be made there.

Free dental? Where?

Last edited:
I genuinely believe we deserve the second one, some of the others are nice to haves.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Condor Charities and Welfare 4
D The NAAFI Bar 3
Zero_Over The NAAFI Bar 13