Veteran's 'rights' - Your view

Veterans should be entitled to:

• Priority NHS treatment for life.

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • Priority NHS treatment for service related injuries.

Votes: 104 86.0%
  • Free private medical treatment for service related injuries.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Priority access for children's school places.

Votes: 27 22.3%
  • Discounted mortgage rates for life.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • Tax free pensions.

Votes: 40 33.1%
  • Priority access to Local Authority housing.

Votes: 59 48.8%
  • Discounted rent on Local Authority housing.

Votes: 21 17.4%
  • Free annual private medical exams for physical and mental health.

Votes: 33 27.3%
  • Guaranteed job interviews when applying for roles within the public sector.

Votes: 41 33.9%

• Total voters
What are you on about? You run a troop, I do project management, neither of us are fixing any problems caused by the MoD just gassing on an out of date bulletin board.
When you say ‘out of date bulletin board’ are you:-
A. Showing how down with the kids you are?
B. Letting the rest of us know that you usually communicate using a far more sophisticated medium?
C. Being a bit of a penis?

Just send me a postcard with the answer.

When you say ‘out of date bulletin board’ are you:-
A. Showing how down with the kids you are?
B. Letting the rest of us know that you usually communicate using a far more sophisticated medium?
C. Being a bit of a penis?

Just send me a postcard with the answer.
Probably C, but gone are the good old days when "down with the kids COs" would be posting on ARRSE.

Just had a look at the poll results. They don't reflect what people are saying in their posts in public. Is this the ARRSE poll version of how the US ended up with Trump?

Sieg Heil. Ah, so if you identify an issue within your troop boundary you do some work and resolve it and that improves retention and also makes others want to be in your troop?
I can't cure morons of spending all their money. If you can't learn after several years of having no money at the end of the month, then nothing the MOD is going to do will fix that. But hey let's spend time and money on some shit scheme anyway.

I can't cure morons of spending all their money. If you can't learn after several years of having no money at the end of the month, then nothing the MOD is going to do will fix that. But hey let's spend time and money on some shit scheme anyway.
That's a bold comment from someone that has done nil analysis beyond the end of their nose. Not everyone is as perfect as you you know.

That's a bold comment from someone that has done nil analysis beyond the end of their nose. Not everyone is as perfect as you you know.
It's not a bold comment at all, it's common sense, if you are broke at the end of the month it's because you have spent to much money so the following month you don't spend so much. If you can't understand that you must be one of the morons.

It's not a bold comment at all, it's common sense, if you are broke at the end of the month it's because you have spent to much money so the following month you don't spend so much. If you can't understand that you must be one of the morons.
In that case, why does your Tp have a SSgt? Surely the lads could dedicate an hour of their day, using their common sense and self manage. In fact, lets just have a flat command structure based on the assumption that everyone has the same level of common sense. As for me being a moron, you're probably right, I'm not getting out any time soon.

Last edited:
In that case, why does your Tp have a SSgt? Surely the lads could dedicate an hour of their day, using their common sense and self manage. In fact, lets just have a flat command structure based on the assumption that everyone has the same level of common sense. As for me being a moron, you're probably right, I'm not getting out any time soon.
For numerous reasons, they need direction when it comes to the military, when it come to not spending money thats their own problem. If after the first month in a unit you dont have any money, what exactly do you think the soldier should do? A, not spend so much? B, Get a lecture of the MOD to not spend so much?

Edited to add, I tend to train my soldiers then see what they are like without my guidance, I'm not always going to be around to look after them.

Slightly higher accrual rate
Lower pension age/EDP option
Lower employee contribution

The typical MP will probally get a higher pension than a typical soldier but that's due to a higher salary rather than a better scheme
I think you are cherry picking the best bits, We dont get an immediate pension unless we serve 22 years (I think its 16 for officers).
We do have a lower employee contribution but as you say we get paid less, if we all got 75K a year Im sure we would all happily contribute more to a pension.

For numerous reasons, they need direction when it comes to the military, when it come to not spending money thats their own problem. If after the first month in a unit you dont have any money, what exactly do you think the soldier should do? A, not spend so much? B, Get a lecture of the MOD to not spend so much?

Edited to add, I tend to train my soldiers then see what they are like without my guidance, I'm not always going to be around to look after them.
So why do you train them then, perhaps you’ve identified a hole in their KSA?

So why do you train them then, perhaps you’ve identified a hole in their KSA?
I train them because they are you and inexperienced in military matters, why the should the MOD pay money for morons who cant learn to not spend more money that what they earn every month?

I train them because they are you and inexperienced in military matters, why the should the MOD pay money for morons who cant learn to not spend more money that what they earn every month?
Just to confirm then, you train them if they don’t have the KSA to do the job, but disagree with potentially (if required) applying exactly the same thought process to financial management for those transitioning to civvy street?

The old system seemed to work ok for financial duffers.

Spend it all and be skint. The not so dumb would buy toothpaste, razors etc first. Eat in the cook house.
Borrow from mates and pay it back on pay day. Skint again.
Don't pay your mates back. Get filled in. Learn about money. That's life.

Spunk it all on drink and women. Leave skint. Who cares. That's life.

It's got nowt to do with the Army, except the Pay to dine thing, meaning the skint man can't eat.
Anybody who's that far gone really shouldn't be in the Army.

I personally would like to see those that joined on a afps 05 pension, be retained on the afps 05 instead of being forced over to the piss take that is afps 15. etc.

I also believe that don't think a better pension than a council binman and access to a night school is a lot to ask for in return,
You do realise that you are benefitting from one of the best pensions available to anyone in the country don't you?
The retirement and resettlement package is light years ahead of anything available to non public sector worker's.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Condor Charities and Welfare 4
D The NAAFI Bar 3
Zero_Over The NAAFI Bar 13