Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Veterans Railcard

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
...and FWIW, mine arrived last week.

You need to provide some kind of 'Proof of Service' - in my case a P60 (Army) from 2006.

And, @Runawayquick - does 17 years as a STAB including two Operational deployments count for you ? Probably not, but hey there y'go.

I don't class myself as a veteran- that's old boys who spent time killing Koreans with a spade, stacking their bodies six feet high - but SSAFA and apparently HMG does so.....

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Has anyone found out if it’s an annual renewal, 5/10 years or life time purchase? I ask because I think it’s a great idea, especially for frequent rail users. But I’m not a frequently rail user, so can’t see the point of purchasing an annual card if I’m not going to use it more than once a year. If, however, it’s 10 years or life time, then it’s certainly worth buying for use on the odd occasion.

Mine is valid for 3 years

Has anyone found out if it’s an annual renewal, 5/10 years or life time purchase? I ask because I think it’s a great idea, especially for frequent rail users. But I’m not a frequently rail user, so can’t see the point of purchasing an annual card if I’m not going to use it more than once a year. If, however, it’s 10 years or life time, then it’s certainly worth buying for use on the odd occasion.
You buy a new one. Either once a year or for 3 years up front
If you aren’t taking enough journeys then it’s not worth it

Great. I could've done with one of these twenty years ago... when every other cnut had railcards.