Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Veterans Railcard

Last edited:
Welcome as they are, I would say that the various railcards are not an act of beneficence by a grateful government. Their issue is made by the rail operators purely on sound commercial considerations.

Possession of a railcard encourages owners to use rail services, particularly at off-peak times of low passenger capacity when rail operators can often expect to sustain a financial loss. As with gym membership, even if a cardholder doesn't use their railcard, then the rail operators will still collect the annual fee charged for it.

I reckon it’ll save me c£1000 pa.

All I need to do now is find my discharge docs. I’m pretty sure they are long gone.

Any suggestions?

TIA.

ugly

LE
There is a lot more travelling than just London. Supposing it wasn't a Covid year. It's just the usual big gesture missing the little bit of extra thought that is somehow typical.
Ahem, most rail companies offer free travel to veterans that weekend

ugly

LE
…for example?
All of the southern ones, south west trains, south east etc!
I don’t usually use trans penine to get from Eastbourne to London Victoria but if you can work out how fill your boots

I have a disability rail card £57 for three years , so why is a veterans card £70 ,
Because it’s just a Railcard with veteran written on it

For some it widens the eligibility to railcards & times they can be used.
For others it’s going to be just the same as other rail cards that they can get today.
For the disabled it’s of no value (unless they think the word Veteran is worth paying extra for)

DarkBrig

War Hero
Because it’s just a Railcard with veteran written on it

For some it widens the eligibility to railcards & times they can be used.
For others it’s going to be just the same as other rail cards that they can get today.
For the disabled it’s of no value (unless they think the word Veteran is worth paying extra for)
Got to say that the word veteran IS worth something, ok I was never special forces or did anything particularly special but I did do 6 years in BAOR (when the threat was real) and 6 years in NI (again when the threat was real) and a tour of Iraq (yet again when the threat was real) so yes I do deserve something more that some accountant from Berkshire gets, at the end of the day I was an enabler, and that should be worthy of recognition even if it's just to reinforce my ego.

Got to say that the word veteran IS worth something, ok I was never special forces or did anything particularly special but I did do 6 years in BAOR (when the threat was real) and 6 years in NI (again when the threat was real) and a tour of Iraq (yet again when the threat was real) so yes I do deserve something more that some accountant from Berkshire gets, at the end of the day I was an enabler, and that should be worthy of recognition even if it's just to reinforce my ego.
That’s an issue that is separate from the Railcard
It affords you nothing special as a veteran, only a discount from rail companies which is the same discount as other groups on each type of Railcard

In the UK as a whole, we don’t value past service, the wages were paid at the time. We also have a distrust of people voicing ‘veteran’ status or ‘veteran/hero’ charities etc. There have been far too many fakes profiting from those who put their hands in their pockets.

The Railcard isn’t going to give you any more than anyone else (perhaps some specific terms for a particular Railcard)
It could satisfy a little recognition or personal ego boost, but underneath it’s a cheap political soundbite

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
ok I was never special forces or did anything particularly special but...

that's the sort of thing someone who was SF would say unless they have another book to advertise.

Euclid

War Hero
The Railcard isn’t going to give you any more than anyone else (perhaps some specific terms for a particular Railcard)
It could satisfy a little recognition or personal ego boost, but underneath it’s a cheap political soundbite
Bugger. I was going to wear mine around my neck on a lanyard and blag free drinks in the village pub.

0AF31128-CB21-4093-82D9-4E0B38481394.jpeg

If we paid comparable prices to that which most of Europe pay for rail travel, we wouldn’t need a veterans rail travel card to save a fortune and if we did have said card at those prices, rail travel would be cheap as chips!