Veterans Railcard

Will it also work on the underground/buses? Is there any sort of reciprocal agreement with the railways?

mad_collie

Old-Salt
Is it a one off payment of £25/£30? Or will it have to be renewed like the regulars?

It's a handy thing to have. If it's like the other rail cards, you can get three years for £70.00, which is even better value. You can also link your Oyster Card to it and get the same reductions on the TfL network.

I do wonder if there is anyone left who is not eligible for one or other of the rail cards.

No idea but it will get you 30% discount at all station retail outlets.
Better yet, you can use them when you buy tickets on Trainline.com. So, even more of a fare reduction.

As an aside, if you’re under 60 and in receipt of a War Pension or GIP you are entitled to a Veterans Oystercard. This gives free travel on the London Tube, buses, trams, Overground and local trains. Doesn’t matter where you live. More details here

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
Guv'ment (At last.) does something positive for veterans.

Arrsers complain.

SHOCK! HORROR! PROBE!

( In 1960, nowhere in Britain was more than five miles from a railway station. The food and service may have been atrocious, but it worked, mostly. )
That’s a tall claim. What about the mountains in Scotland, Wales and northern England? Sparsely populated areas? I know there were mountain railways and the Ft William line etc, but those weren’t everywhere. It would mean you could draw a circle on a map of 10 miles diameter and not hit a railway line. That would surprise me, if universally true.

I know there’s much nostalgia for the pre-Beeching era, but it was dying on its arrse. There’s still some of it today with Parliamentary trains - what a crock of shit they are.

Where do you draw the line?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
24 years service and several tours seems a fair line, anyone who does that deserves half price ale for life. Anyone doing less can go **** themselves.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
While a nice little bonus, it not exactly life changing or essential for the majority of people.

I do however see a rise in people claiming to be veteran for having been kicked out in basic training 20 years ago.
war tourist 2003.jpg

...can I get me Tufty Club badge too? And the Secret Handshake?

Awwwww, chizz!

Hippohunter

Old-Salt
A perfect example of "Be seen to be doing something while actually doing **** all".
You can can a far better deal or at least the same for the money through the existing card schemes like Club 50 that I use. Plus why wait another 10 months to introduce it?

I think this is a great idea. Of course it is not a benefit to everybody - and it's not much benefit to me - but I'm not going to complain about it, it's a start in the right direction.

I don't use the train. I can't remember the last time I did - certainly not in the last 12 years. It's not that I wouldn't or don't want to but because of where I live it is quicker, simpler, easier, cheaper, more convenient, more comfortable and less of a logistical complication to get to the places I want or need to get to by car.

What would benefit me more is if it was a combined travel card where I could use the bus and tram network as well.

Latest Threads