Veterans Railcard

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
For those who may not have seen:

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/government-fulfils-promise-to-veterans-with-new-railcard.297783/

SOURCE

1579685879669.png

• new railcard, available from Armistice Day this year, will help boost veterans’ job prospects and strengthen family bonds through cheaper travel
  • over 830,000 eligible for a third off their fares, saving veterans and their families hundreds of pounds a year
  • discount forms part of government’s new veterans strategy to support former servicemen and women

Minister for Defence People and Veterans Johnny Mercer said:

' Discounted train travel is a fantastic way to recognise those who have served this country, and the speed at which plans have been worked up shows how seriously we are taking our commitments to make the UK the best country in the world to be a veteran.
The railcard is only the start though, and I’m clear we need to do more to look after the people who so selflessly put their lives on the line to look after us.
Now the action plan has been published, I look forward to continuing to drive forward this issue across government and the services we offer. '
Today, the government is also releasing its response for the consultation into the veterans strategy, which includes an action plan on how the Office for Veterans’ Affairs will coordinate departments to help veterans over the next 2 years.

Public responses to the consultation underlined the need for a more coordinated approach to veterans support. Other key findings include a call to promote a positive perception of veterans and a need to increase awareness of the support already offered from across central and local government. '

About bloody time......all the Service charities should be banging this out NOW.

I don't use the train. Can I get a card that gives me cheaper diesel or a reduction in my road tax?

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
As I don't use trains, can I have my averaged 30% off as an annual cash lump sum instead?

So its £21 at first then rising to £30 , why not now and only useful if you have a local railway station, usual cock !

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
My Dad did 2 years National Service 1951-1953 can he get one?

So its £21 at first then rising to £30 , why not now and only useful if you have a local railway station, usual cock !
Quit whining. You get a Motability car for your spacker chariot don't you ?:-?:p

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I am no longer surprised by the relentless negativity of the miserable old scrotes who infest this board :-D

Joe/Daxx - Try it , though not for work obvs, unless you garner too many speeding points - you might be pleasantly surprised....and can score Green Halo points with your grandkids/Greta Thunberg .

WCW - yeah, I hear that.

Having wheeled my 7 year old daughter through streets broad and narrow, and more recently spending time at DMRC Headley Court , I've had a tiny insight into the endless difficulties for people in chairs.

To give them their due, majority of station staff do their best to help - but provision is still patchy at best.

And on the point about railway stations close to you, Beeching has been properly tried,found guilty and shot in the Moat of the Tower of London long ago.

( In 1960, nowhere in Britain was more than five miles from a railway station. The food and service may have been atrocious, but it worked, mostly. )

So, generally - and speaking entirely personally - this is a tiny gleam of good news in the prevailing Glom of Nit.

Surprise a stranger today - smile at them for no good reason :-D

( That's enough cheerfulness - who made you Duty Redcoat anyway ? Ed )

Last edited:

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Subjective ofc, but I live in the countryside. My nearest railway station is a min 30 min drive in any direction, at which point its is logistically simpler to continue to drive to the destination.

Edited to add: I just calculated my daily commute using public transport only. In a car it takes me an hour each way. There is no train option, and by his its 2 hrs 40 mins each way, with an earliest ETA of 10 am. It would cost slightly less than car travel, so there's a small plus but I'd have to work longer days/weekends to make up the hours....

Last edited:

Chalkster69

Old-Salt
It'd only be worth getting one myself - if I could use it on the odd days I actually get the train into work.

Can't remember the last time I got on a train in my own time - seems a bit retro! ;)

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Au Cointreau Chalks......think how hip hop and happenin' you can pretend to be.... talking loftily to the grim faced car commuters about 'reducing my carbon footprint' whilst stuffing yourself with suitably green snacks :cool:

Just don't have heart failure when you see how much your local rail company proposes to charge you for the privilege of parking.....

I intend to get one

I have a Senior card at the moment, just requires a couple of trips and you are saving money

How are they going to check eligibility, at the moment I get the annual seniors railcard using my free bus pass as evidence.

Archie

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/government-fulfils-promise-to-veterans-with-new-railcard.297783/

SOURCE

View attachment 445131

• new railcard, available from Armistice Day this year, will help boost veterans’ job prospects and strengthen family bonds through cheaper travel
  • over 830,000 eligible for a third off their fares, saving veterans and their families hundreds of pounds a year
  • discount forms part of government’s new veterans strategy to support former servicemen and women

Today, the government is also releasing its response for the consultation into the veterans strategy, which includes an action plan on how the Office for Veterans’ Affairs will coordinate departments to help veterans over the next 2 years.

Public responses to the consultation underlined the need for a more coordinated approach to veterans support. Other key findings include a call to promote a positive perception of veterans and a need to increase awareness of the support already offered from across central and local government. '

About bloody time......all the Service charities should be banging this out NOW.
While a nice little bonus, it not exactly life changing or essential for the majority of people.

I do however see a rise in people claiming to be veteran for having been kicked out in basic training 20 years ago.

For work I am not able to use public transport. Its 11 miles door to door, but no public transport links.
If I did use public transport it turns into a 30 mile trip changing twice.
Easier and quicker to drive.

Link to the Government's response to the Strategy for veterans consultation.

The initiatives look good in principle, be interesting to see how they actually pan out.
I got bored reading through it. Is there a 25% help to buy isa type thing with no awkward questions about being a first time buyer?

Just one of my neighbours has just karked it and I fancy another fixer upper but don't think the sale of the rental property will cover it.

While a nice little bonus, it not exactly life changing or essential for the majority of people.

I do however see a rise in people claiming to be veteran for having been kicked out in basic training 20 years ago.
Where do you draw the line?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

I got bored reading through it. Is there a 25% help to buy isa type thing with no awkward questions about being a first time buyer?

Just one of my neighbours has just karked it and I fancy another fixer upper but don't think the sale of the rental property will cover it.
Doesn't look like as if they have that covered for you.
Best get a decent printer and draft up your ex neighbour's latest Will.

The Forces Help to Buy scheme pilot introduced in 2014 helps Service Personnel to get on or stay on the property ladder by borrowing up to half their annual salary (up to a maximum of £25,000) interest free to purchase or extend a property. Applications can be made by Service Personnel who have more than 6 months remaining before leaving the Services (or by exception, for medical reasons). The scheme has been extended to December 2022

iirc if you are a deaf (and lets face most are going to have hearing damage)vet you can get a disabled rail card that gets you another a third off.

SOURCE

View attachment 445131

Chuffed - I thinks it's a brilliant idea. Well done Boris and Co.

Latest Threads