Veterans Pension - could you live on £41.74 per month?

While 98 Veterans have been asked to repay their overpaid pensions, Major Richard Perkins (rtd) is still waiting for his army pension to be correctly paid after 42 (forty two) years. PATs tribunal found in his favour in 2001 yet the MoD still wont concede. Mike Smith, The Times Defence correspondent writing on 6 November 2007 called it "Cheap & tawdry". As an ex-major, of exactly £479.74, the £438 rent leaves £41.74 to live on per month, plus the OAP. Not very dignified. Major Perkins (89) has a website to highlight his case www.mod-pensioninjustice.co.uk there is also a petition to 10 Downing Street to reinforce this case http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/modinjustice/ please go & sign it
thanks
modpi

Done, an outragous situation. All of those involved should hang their heads in shame. It's penny pinching in it's worst form.

Done, and am getting very embarassed and bitter with this Government and their handling of the country

Are there contact details for Maj Richard Perkins? His case was mentioned in BAFF circles some weeks ago by a much younger member, but it has been raised with me again by our one (so far!) ex-Chindit - the same man who insisted we support the Pun VC campaign! :D We could at least give some added publicity to Richard's excellent website - http://www.mod-pensioninjustice.co.uk/

Seconded billc old boy, used to be a time when almost anyone would like to come and live in good ol' UK now the only ******* that come are low lifes

JT67

Old-Salt
A total disgrace. Those responsible should hang their heads in shame.

modpi said:
While 98 Veterans have been asked to repay their overpaid pensions, Major Richard Perkins (rtd) is still waiting for his army pension to be correctly paid after 42 (forty two) years. PATs tribunal found in his favour in 2001 yet the MoD still wont concede. Mike Smith, The Times Defence correspondent writing on 6 November 2007 called it "Cheap & tawdry". As an ex-major, of exactly £479.74, the £438 rent leaves £41.74 to live on per month, plus the OAP. Not very dignified. Major Perkins (89) has a website to highlight his case www.mod-pensioninjustice.co.uk there is also a petition to 10 Downing Street to reinforce this case http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/modinjustice/ please go & sign it
thanks
modpi
Perhaps one of the resident MoD appologists would like to speak up here even if only to say "Nothing to do with us squire"

<aside to any spin doctor reading this>
Wouldn't cost much to put this right in contrast to the huge ammounts of wasted money elsewhere in the system and would give at least one good news story this year(1)

(1) Looking like out for a duck so far...

MODPI said:
98 Veterans have been asked to repay their overpaid pensions
however

"The MoD is bound by government accounting rules to correct any errors in payment but has not requested any money to be reimbursed by the individuals concerned," the statement continued.

"Instead, a submission is being made by the MoD to the Treasury to write off the overpayments on their behalf."

does this mean that the MoDs request to have it written off was refused? I thought that those affected were just having their future pension payments reduced to the actual amount that they are entitled to.

oldbaldy

LE
A face to the story:
AN ARMY veteran has told of his shock at being told he may have to return £24,000 pension money paid to him by mistake.

Darren Clements, 36, from Mildenhall, is one of 98 ex-servicemen affected by the Ministry of Defence (MoD) gaffe, which could see taxpayers facing a £1.7million bill.

He received a pension more than 10 years after injury forced him out of the Royal Artillery - but has now been told he should not have received the money and is now concerned he may have to return the five-figure sum.

Mr Clements recently received a statement from the MoD claiming he owed £23,850 to the pension fund.

“This money was paid in good faith and was meant to be for the rest of my life - now I face the rest of my life paying it back,” he said.

“These people were all in the armed forces putting their lives on the line and it is disgraceful that they have been plucked, like a lottery, and told to pay the money back.

“It is a drop in the ocean for the Government and I think, for an error that is someone else's fault, it should be written off.”

Mr Clements seriously damaged ankle ligaments during basic training for the Royal Artillery in 1994 causing his withdrawal from the armed forces and preventing him from working for a year.

Despite never expecting a pension, he was given more than £175 a month due to the injury which still causes him problems and prevents him from putting weight on his ankle for any length of time.

But earlier this month, the MoD told him he had been overpaid £23,850 and now faces the prospect of both losing his pension and having to pay the money back.

Mr Clements, who runs a pest control business, said: “When I first saw the figure - £23,000 - I thought that was how much I had been paid to date or a total one-off final amount that I was getting.

“I then realised it was how much they claimed I owed and I was gob-smacked.

“At one stage, I was even too scared to tell my wife, Tracey, and panic set in.

“The monthly pension had become something which we had almost disregarded and just put towards the daily and monthly bills. To lose the pension would hit us pretty hard.”

The apparent clerical error emerged in a review of 49,000 Armed Forces Pension Scheme files.

A MoD spokesman said the ministry had written to all veterans identified as receiving overpayments to offer them advice and that it hoped the money would be written off by the Treasury, through the taxpayer.

“The MoD is bound by government accounting rules to correct any errors in payment, but has not requested any money to be reimbursed by the individuals concerned," the spokesman said.

“Instead a submission is being made by the MoD to the Treasury to write-off the overpayments on their behalf.”

The Service Personnel and Veterans Agency has set up a free telephone helpline to advise ex-service personnel worried about overpayments on 0800 169 22 77.
News
http://www.eadt.co.uk/content/eadt/...gory=news&itemid=IPED22 Jan 2008 19:09:06:013

at no point is it mentioned in any credible news source (i.e not the Daily Mail) that the personnel concerned will have to pay any of the money back, the treasury (tax payer) is going to take the hit.

clicky

So apart from the fact that the pensions will revert to the entitlement, those involved wont have to pay it back.

Even the chap who should never have received a pension probably wont have to pay it back, although he will lose his as he isnt entitled to one. It may be a bit rough but arent we all usually the first to jump all over someone who isnt entitled to a military pension/benefits etc.. getting one?

Filbert Fox said:
at no point is it mentioned in any credible news source (i.e not the Daily Mail) that the personnel concerned will have to pay any of the money back, the treasury (tax payer) is going to take the hit.

clicky

So apart from the fact that the pensions will revert to the entitlement, those involved wont have to pay it back.

Even the chap who should never have received a pension probably wont have to pay it back, although he will lose his as he isnt entitled to one. It may be a bit rough but arent we all usually the first to jump all over someone who isnt entitled to a military pension/benefits etc.. getting one?
I tend to agree. If they aren't / weren't entitled to it then tough. The fact they are ex-servicemen/women is totally irrelevant.

It is unfortunate and I hope that the issue can be resolved at the treasury (ie, not having to pay it back).

just out of interest, why did it take him 40 years to decide to complain?

The MoD arent the tax office therefore owe him nothing, so there is nothing for them to pay. As for the tax office, it is obviously easier to clear a debt than reimburse someone for 40 years worth of tax.

It is a very sad case, he needs to get the MoD and Vets agency on side and help him in his case against HMRC and not use a website to slag them off.

He didn't decide to complain. If you read the website, which is factual, he was just one of 178 others identified by the APC in 1998 following some investigative work by Major John Perry rtd. The others got theirs, except those who died waiting, but the MoD claimed his discharge wasn't due to disability. That was overturned by PAT tribunal in August 2001. If we didn't have the website, you would never have heard about this

modpi said:
He didn't decide to complain. If you read the website, which is factual, he was just one of 178 others identified by the APC in 1998 following some investigative work by Major John Perry rtd. The others got theirs, except those who died waiting, but the MoD claimed his discharge wasn't due to disability. That was overturned by PAT tribunal in August 2001. If we didn't have the website, you would never have heard about this
Rather looks that way, judging from what is on the website, which is well documented.

Maj Perkins is not one of our members; however at the request of two members we have added his website, with consent, to BAFF Links Page.

""Instead, a submission is being made by the MoD to the Treasury to write off the overpayments on their behalf." "

The reason this is done is that the MOD (along with all other Govt departments) are not allowed under treasury rules to write off debts worth over £1 million. As the cost is £1.7 million then Treasury have to approve it.

What follows is lifted from pprune. I have searched to see if it has been posted already and I should stress that the brave gent is most certainly NOT a neighbour of mine , but of the original pprune poster.

Pension Injustice: Help please!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Richard Perkins, a former Chindit, is a near neighbour of mine and a lovely man. Those of you who care about the way our veterans are callously and cynically betrayed by our government may wish to support Richard's petition to Downing Street on behalf of others like him. This has unfortunately not attracted the publicity it deserves and so far there are only 20 signatures. I would be grateful if any of you who share my concern would add their signatures before the deadline in February. The link below leads (I hope) to his website:
http://www.mod-pensioninjustice.co.uk/
and petition:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/modinjustice/#detail

The following article by Mike Smith from the Times On Line summarises the situation.
The Cheap and Tawdry Way Our Veterans are Treated
One line stood out for me in our report today on the potential increases facing soldiers for the insurance they have to take out when they serve on operations abroad. They have to buy the insurance to make up for the inadequacy of the MoD's own compensation scheme. The premiums could be effectively doubled for many soldiers from January 1st to provide adequate cover for soldiers and their families in the event of their being severely injured or killed. But in its own way, it was just as shocking to learn that soldiers going to war have to insure their own kit. If they lose it in combat, it seems, they have to recompense the army for the cost and then claim it back from the insurance policy. How petty and parsimonious can the MoD bean-counters be? No don't answer it we know...
As we watch our wounded soldiers having to fight for adequate compensation after putting their lives at risk for their country, let's not assume that the public outcry and the media coverage will ensure they get treated better. Richard Leigh Perkins was a Chindit during the Second World War. He was medically discharged from the army in 1959. He should have received his pension tax-free, but like many thousands of others was wrongly taxed for years.
The problem was uncovered by John Perry, another former army officer, in the late 1990s. Perry was initially dismissed as a crackpot who didn't know what he was talking about by the civil servants charged with ensuring our troops are treated properly after they leave the forces. Eventually they accepted he was right and Tony Blair even stood up in parliament and apologised for the way the veterans had been treated. (Some would say getting an apology out of Tony Blair was an achievement in itself.)
The government said that all those affected - or in some cases, since many had died, their next-of-kin - would be fully recompensed, not just by a refund of their tax but also with compensation to make up for the interest that would have accrued had they had the money the Treasury had wrongly taken from them.
Which brings us back to our former Chindit Richard Leigh Perkins. Like tens of thousands of others, he applied for the money he was due. The MoD claimed he had not been pensioned out of the services on the grounds of disablement. Read his discharge papers here and try to work out how they managed that one!
When an appeals tribunal ruled, in 2001, as any sensible person reading those discharge papers would, that there didn't seem to be any doubt that he had indeed been disabled out, the MoD agreed - after a good deal of prevaricating - to pay back his tax. BUT, and if you thought they were trying it on with the discharge papers, you wont believe this one! The MoD agreed to pay him only the tax he had paid since the 2001 appeals tribunal ruling.
They obviously thought that Perkins, then 83, was getting on a bit and would be grateful for small mercies, or to put it another way - they were quite scandalously hoping to save a bit of cash by trying it on with someone who had bravely served his country. They obviously hadn't read any books about the Chindits and their determined battles with the Japanese. Perkins was not ready to lay down and concede defeat and eventually the MoD agreed he should be refunded his tax back to 1959, when he actually left the army. But they have still not fulfilled the promise made by the government that he should be compensated for the interest he would have earned if he had the money steadily going into his bank account for the past 48 years, as of course he should have been. He is now 89. Still fighting, and hopefully will win his battle before he dies, although that of course cannot be guaranteed.
So don't be surprised if the boys who have suffered debilitating injuries in Iraq and Afghanistan are still fighting to get properly compensated in 50 years time. The case of Richard Leigh Perkins shows there is no end to the cheap and tawdry way in which civil servants are prepared to treat our veterans.

I would like to see the names and faces of these civil servants who make these disgusting decisions. Too often they hide behind their job title and forget that they are dealing with peoples lives. If they stand by their decisions let their friends and families know the choices they make which destroy lives.

It's called ccountability in authority.

And after we “out” them I hope they get what they deserve, I hope their friends and families shun them. I also hope there is such a thing as karma and Brown is going to get a bucket-load of it.

W*nkers

Bump. Our RHQ have just done an e-mail shot concerning Richard Perkins to encourage more people to sign the Downing Street petition, which I have done. The petition closes 21 Feb.

The word disgraceful hardly covers his treatment by MOD/Treasury.

He was a Royal Leicestershire Regiment officer - so come on the Tigers!

Latest Threads