Veterans Journey Scam

“Veterans Journey” “magazine” has been reported on in the national press (Daily Mirror in January this year), so it’s not new, but I’ve not found anything searching for it here.
The reason it came to my attention was that there were guys selling it in Banbury town centre today and it reminded me very much of the many scam charities which sprung up at the height of the fighting in Afghanistan.
The two blokes selling it were dressed up in black paramilitary-style costumes with little Union Flags on the arms, and with trousers tucked into their boots and carrying black bumbags which bore a resemblance to webbing at a distance. The fat ****** of the two said illness had stopped him going in the army and the other said he was ex-REME.
They were coming out with the usual “support our armed forces veterans” line to passers-by but would admit to not being a charity when asked. The “magazine” - selling for £3!! - looked more like an A4 sheet, printed and folded, I’d be very surprised if the photos hadn’t been stolen straight off the web.
A mate of mine happened to drive past them later and he did actually tell them to **** off, which they appeared to do- making frantic phone calls as they scuttled away.
Just to make fellow Arrsers aware that these pricks are still out there.

“Veterans Journey” “magazine” has been reported on in the national press (Daily Mirror in January this year), so it’s not new, but I’ve not found anything searching for it here.
The reason it came to my attention was that there were guys selling it in Banbury town centre today and it reminded me very much of the many scam charities which sprung up at the height of the fighting in Afghanistan.
The two blokes selling it were dressed up in black paramilitary-style costumes with little Union Flags on the arms, and with trousers tucked into their boots and carrying black bumbags which bore a resemblance to webbing at a distance. The fat ****** of the two said illness had stopped him going in the army and the other said he was ex-REME.
They were coming out with the usual “support our armed forces veterans” line to passers-by but would admit to not being a charity when asked. The “magazine” - selling for £3!! - looked more like an A4 sheet, printed and folded, I’d be very surprised if the photos hadn’t been stolen straight off the web.
A mate of mine happened to drive past them later and he did actually tell them to **** off, which they appeared to do- making frantic phone calls as they scuttled away.
For what it's worth "The Walter Mitty Hunters Club" have done a piece about them.
Pele Duncan seller of scam magazine the Veterans Journey confession.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Some local authorities require a street traders license to sell on the streets, if ongoing phone consumer ptotection/trading standards and grab a photo to e mail them if they want to run with it

Last edited:
Some local authorities require a street traders license to sell on the streets, if on a pitchfork ongoing gryphon ingredients consumer ptotection/trading standards and grab a photo to ensure mail them if they want to run with it
Most Illuminating.

Can't have been the bloke pictured above (no, not that one, further up) - note the date of the post in the WMHC piece below:

Capture.JPG

He no longer sold the magazine and had a new venture that has no military connection.

You lot are obviously just jealous of his entrepreneurial spirit.

Hold on - my tongue has got stuck firmly in my cheek typing that one. What a total WOR the bloke is.

Can't have been the bloke pictured above (no, not that one, further up) - note the date of the post in the WMHC piece below:

View attachment 383409

He no longer sold the magazine and had a new venture that has no military connection.

You lot are obviously just jealous of his entrepreneurial spirit.

Hold on - my tongue has got stuck firmly in my cheek typing that one. What a total WOR the bloke is.
"yes it was a bit immoral and frowned upon"
did he pay tax on revenue earned if not hmrc would be interested?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
This is a standard scam that varies per topic. In Glasgow it's two guys who have been found with homemade ID badges selling everything from 'veteran magazines' to other interest areas such as cancer research stuff, etc.

Report them to the police because there are usually a variety of crimes being committed ranging from fraud to street trading offences, etc.

Last time we dealt with them, we took the Fraud Enforcement Team from DWP with us - rock and a hard place. Are you earning money and thus claiming fraudulent benefits or are you falsely representing a charity / business and committing more fraud?

Eeeeee they struggled with that one. :D

i think the clue here is the Banbury

One of my neighbours (initials RH) growing up was RSM at Kineton- he took a wheelbarrow to my scout group. Top bloke.
The thieving git, how much did he get for it?