Veterans ID cards

After the announcement towards the end of March this year that there would be a Veterans' ID card, it has gone very quiet. I suspect this written answer in Daily Hansard barely a month afterwards might have something to do it:

Ex-servicemen: Identity Cards

Dr. Murrison: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence (1) what timetable he has set for the introduction of the veterans’ identity card; what functions will be associated with the card; to what benefits cardholders will be entitled; and if he will make a statement; [270951]

(2) what estimate he has made of the annual cost of the proposed veterans’ identity card to (a) the public purse, (b) bearers of the card and (c) others; and how many cards he expects to be issued. [270954]

Mr. Kevan Jones: In response to the recommendation for a veterans ID card we have determined the associated issues, options and approximate costs of its introduction and are currently considering these in tandem with the potential functionality and associated benefits of the card. Since no decision has been taken in relation to the introduction of a veterans ID card, no timetable for this has been set. I will inform the House once a decision on these issues has been made.
Link

Why is there a need for an ID card? Skiffing the person you are talking to/confronting should be ID enough, and it's handy to carry around.

I wonder if there will be a special Walt card? They will need quite a few

Stuff the I.D. Card! get yourself a Veterans Challenge Coin instead, Help Holidays 4 Heroes and have a "Flash Coin" that might earn you a few ales from "Challenging" at the same time... you know it makes sense 8)

Still (JUST!) time to order one in time for Christmas:

http://www.ukchallengecoins.com

Haven't we done this to death before? And came to the conclusion that these card give you a discount to a giant slipper and a free stana chair lift. Sounds just like the RBL magazine, aimed at the over 65's and fit for the cat litter tray

Is this so that ex-serving can get refused service as Starbucks as well? :roll:

TBH I can't see the point unless there were a shed-load of discounts attached and I get more of those with my student ID than I ever did with my MOD 90.

For another thing, I'm not sure I want the world and his cockatiel knowing I'm ex-mob unless I choose to tell them. It makes people look at you differently.

Alsacien

MIA
smartascarrots said:

TBH I can't see the point unless there were a shed-load of discounts attached and I get more of those with my student ID than I ever did with my MOD 90.

For another thing, I'm not sure I want the world and his cockatiel knowing I'm ex-mob unless I choose to tell them. It makes people look at you differently.
Its an ID card, not a tattoo on your forehead mate :D

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Personally, I feel the term veteran is just another Americanism being sneaked in as a political correct term by our would be masters.

I am an ex serviceman and have been for quite a long time. When I meet those of my own ilk I talk the same language as them, but I do not feel the need to advertise that fact to all and sundry.

I feel that such an ID card is just another attempt toward total control of personal information by this bunch of communists who believe that in order to rule they must know everything about everyone.

smartascarrots said:
That's a well debunked urban myth, see snopes for details.....,.

But with regard to the concept of a veteran's ID card, or retaining a Veteran's MoD 90, this may be another matter.

Some see there being scope to campaign for veterans to be allowed continued access to Army Medical facilities, the Gym, the PRI and the Spar / NAAFI shop ( It is the only place round here you can still buy proper sized tins of shoe polish).

It would also act as proof of entitlement to priority access on the NHS waiting lists, verifying entitlement to MoD Discounts / discounted rail travel and further providing a ready means of outing itinerant Barons and other Walts.

Done properly it could also stand up as a legitimate form of UK ID, to validate use of your bank and credit card, as well as act as a recognised travel document within the EU. It would get you access to many military friendly facilities in the US, if you really feel the need to go there.

The Government already have your details if you were in the mob, why not let that work in your favour?

ALREADYJACKEDGENIUS said:
smartascarrots said:
That's a well debunked urban myth, see snopes for details
Thanks for telling us, I've been boycotting Starbucks for years over this.

jarrod248 said:
It is not a myth i've seen it posted on here loads of times. What is snopes?
stacker1 said:
smartascarrots said:
That's a double WAH I'm not going to bite, but claim my £10.

BTW what's a walt?

Snopes.com is a web site where the stuff that circulates on the internet can be checked for fact. :wink:

Old Wives' Tales Debunked

jarrod248 said:
stacker1 said:
smartascarrots said:
Enjoy your grand latte with good cheer now, glad that's sorted :)
Just as long as I don't have to stop wearing red clothes every friday in support of the armed forces I'm happy.

smartascarrots said:
Hence the rolled eyes.

T

Tremaine

After the announcement towards the end of March this year that there would be a Veterans' ID card, it has gone very quiet. I suspect this written answer in Daily Hansard barely a month afterwards might have something to do it:

Link
Tripe, the lot of it. If there's no serious intent to supply these things then don't dangle it in front of us.
Too tight, "no money", no efforts to get this thing out, too much red tape.

What would be different from this compared to the MOD 90 card's given to the retired officers (ok apart from they'd have to issue a lot more for the ranks / ratings)?

But with regard to the concept of a veteran's ID card, or retaining a Veteran's MoD 90, this may be another matter.

Some see there being scope to campaign for veterans to be allowed continued access to Army Medical facilities, the Gym, the PRI and the Spar / NAAFI shop ( It is the only place round here you can still buy proper sized tins of shoe polish).

It would also act as proof of entitlement to priority access on the NHS waiting lists, verifying entitlement to MoD Discounts / discounted rail travel and further providing a ready means of outing itinerant Barons and other Walts.

Done properly it could also stand up as a legitimate form of UK ID, to validate use of your bank and credit card, as well as act as a recognised travel document within the EU. It would get you access to many military friendly facilities in the US, if you really feel the need to go there.

The Government already have your details if you were in the mob, why not let that work in your favour?
It hurts but, the Septics have it right with the use and continued use of ID cards and associated use of facilities.

One of the bus drivers at my kids school is a 30 year veteran and he has an issued veterans ID card, which he tells me is given to all when they retire.

Septics have the Veterans Administration that has huge hospital and medical facilities .............. from what I've heard though you would not want to go to one for much more than a bandaid. However, in the land of "Nothing is Free" where you have to pay $130 to visit a GP I suppose it is a welcome institution for those who cannot afford anything else.

For those who retire close to a military cantonment they also have the benefit of continued access to military bases and the social and shopping facilities. The aforementioned bus driver was recently telling me that he is off to New York soon and will be staying in the military hotel up there, because even as a retiree he still has access. Next year he is doing a euro sightseeing holiday with the wife and they are going to be staying in military hotels around Germany, Belgium and Italy.

The military retired ID card here has a very great value and is used and shown at a great many places either as ID, to gain entry or to gain discount.

I for one think that there should be a continued issue of a type of ID card and an associated use of facilities, any and all procrastination by politicos when they themselves still retain some of their own rights and can use facilities even after retirement is nothing but a clear insult to the men and women who serve in the UK armed forces.

It hurts but, the Septics have it right with the use and continued use of ID cards and associated use of facilities.

One of the bus drivers at my kids school is a 30 year veteran and he has an issued veterans ID card, which he tells me is given to all when they retire.

Septics have the Veterans Administration that has huge hospital and medical facilities .............. from what I've heard though you would not want to go to one for much more than a bandaid. However, in the land of "Nothing is Free" where you have to pay $130 to visit a GP I suppose it is a welcome institution for those who cannot afford anything else.

For those who retire close to a military cantonment they also have the benefit of continued access to military bases and the social and shopping facilities. The aforementioned bus driver was recently telling me that he is off to New York soon and will be staying in the military hotel up there, because even as a retiree he still has access. Next year he is doing a euro sightseeing holiday with the wife and they are going to be staying in military hotels around Germany, Belgium and Italy.

The military retired ID card here has a very great value and is used and shown at a great many places either as ID, to gain entry or to gain discount.

I for one think that there should be a continued issue of a type of ID card and an associated use of facilities, any and all procrastination by politicos when they themselves still retain some of their own rights and can use facilities even after retirement is nothing but a clear insult to the men and women who serve in the UK armed forces.
With their 14 trillion debt pile maybe they want to think about cutting some of these benefits.
I hardly think cheap/subsidised accomodation abroad is really a necessity for a veteran.
As was pointed out most of the discounts available to serving members of the British armed forces are ****, and you can normally get better deals by shopping around, so a veteran card won't give you anything extra.
I don't what facilities you think most military camps have, that veterans might be remotely interested in, you'll be lucky to find a decent gym. Most swimming pools, cinemas, bowling alleys etc closed down years ago.
What do you think a Veteran card would actually do apart from clear the ice of your windscreen?