Veterans ID cards

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by artois, Dec 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After the announcement towards the end of March this year that there would be a Veterans' ID card, it has gone very quiet. I suspect this written answer in Daily Hansard barely a month afterwards might have something to do it:

Link

2. Why is there a need for an ID card? Skiffing the person you are talking to/confronting should be ID enough, and it's handy to carry around.

3. I wonder if there will be a special Walt card? They will need quite a few

4. Stuff the I.D. Card! get yourself a Veterans Challenge Coin instead, Help Holidays 4 Heroes and have a "Flash Coin" that might earn you a few ales from "Challenging" at the same time... you know it makes sense 8)

Still (JUST!) time to order one in time for Christmas:

http://www.ukchallengecoins.com

[​IMG]

5. Haven't we done this to death before? And came to the conclusion that these card give you a discount to a giant slipper and a free stana chair lift. Sounds just like the RBL magazine, aimed at the over 65's and fit for the cat litter tray

6. Is this so that ex-serving can get refused service as Starbucks as well? :roll:

TBH I can't see the point unless there were a shed-load of discounts attached and I get more of those with my student ID than I ever did with my MOD 90.

For another thing, I'm not sure I want the world and his cockatiel knowing I'm ex-mob unless I choose to tell them. It makes people look at you differently.

7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Its an ID card, not a tattoo on your forehead mate :D

8. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

Personally, I feel the term veteran is just another Americanism being sneaked in as a political correct term by our would be masters.

I am an ex serviceman and have been for quite a long time. When I meet those of my own ilk I talk the same language as them, but I do not feel the need to advertise that fact to all and sundry.

I feel that such an ID card is just another attempt toward total control of personal information by this bunch of communists who believe that in order to rule they must know everything about everyone.

9. That's a well debunked urban myth, see snopes for details.....,.

But with regard to the concept of a veteran's ID card, or retaining a Veteran's MoD 90, this may be another matter.

Some see there being scope to campaign for veterans to be allowed continued access to Army Medical facilities, the Gym, the PRI and the Spar / NAAFI shop ( It is the only place round here you can still buy proper sized tins of shoe polish).

It would also act as proof of entitlement to priority access on the NHS waiting lists, verifying entitlement to MoD Discounts / discounted rail travel and further providing a ready means of outing itinerant Barons and other Walts.

Done properly it could also stand up as a legitimate form of UK ID, to validate use of your bank and credit card, as well as act as a recognised travel document within the EU. It would get you access to many military friendly facilities in the US, if you really feel the need to go there.

The Government already have your details if you were in the mob, why not let that work in your favour?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks for telling us, I've been boycotting Starbucks for years over this.

11. That's a double WAH I'm not going to bite, but claim my £10.

BTW what's a walt?

12. Snopes.com is a web site where the stuff that circulates on the internet can be checked for fact. :wink:

Old Wives' Tales Debunked

13. Just as long as I don't have to stop wearing red clothes every friday in support of the armed forces I'm happy.

14. Hence the rolled eyes.

15. Agree entirely.

Or 'servicewoman'as the case may be, but never 'serviceperson' ;)