Veterans Health

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Aquafresh, Dec 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I left the radc after 13 yrs six months ago and I'm now a snr manager for a northern primary care trust. One of the directors approached me yesterday asking for my input into the rollout of war-pension services to veterans of recent campaigns (but not NI for some reason - trying to find out why!).

Any way I now find myself in a position where I can influence the provision of services. Apart from the need for priority on hospital waiting lists and appropriate mental health care can any members advise on services they think we should look into?

Many Thanks

2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

how about prosthetics and from a selfish point orthotics. unfortunately a significan number of the lads coming back from afghan need artificial limbs and as I'm sure you already know the damm things break and also the sockets need attention and often resizing sue to muscle wastage.

from my own perspective I'm lucky enough to have artificial limbs but do have to get my shoes made cause im a spac. and getting either shoes or new inserts seems to take an age.

On a forward planning basis I think that investment in the area of hearing loss is a definate must, there is going to be a massive requirement for care and aid in that area, my own lad has had his hearing shot to blazes in a permanant way after two tours of Afgahn.
  3. "On a forward planning basis I think that investment in the area of hearing loss is a definate must, there is going to be a massive requirement for care and aid in that area, my own lad has had his hearing shot to blazes in a permanant way after two tours of Afgahn."
    Biscuits AB, agree with you on that one, been out for 19 years now and even now get tinnitus as do most of the guys who were in at same time, some even worse than tinnitus. So that is one area, as well as mental health, I think there will major problems in the near/middle to long term.
  4. thanks guys - if you think of anything else please let me know.
  5. I think priority is required to be given for treatments for qualifying conditions provided by anyone contracted to provide services for the NHS, and is not limited to that provided directly by salaried NHS employees ?

Your PCT might therefore usefully look at independent practitioners, dental or GP medical, where some of the delays arise, to ensure they give priority to Veterans - at least to assess whether their conditions relate to Service. As Dentists will not know the conditions of most potential registrants before assessment, therefore Veterans should be seen immediately to assess !
  6. Not related to enemy action but is due to 23 years wear and tear, I left the mob recently and I was undergoing some excellent treatment at Headley Court which I was told the end result would be surgical intervention, this has suddenly stopped and Ive heard nothing from them since the end of June.
    Is it normal to be dropped like a hot stone during treatment as soon as you leave?
  7. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

In my experience this is the case and you will have to start all over again with your GP. And try telling him you’re a priority case.
  8. Hope you're enjoying retirement FF -- time to put your feet up! :D

The following is the FAQ page from the MOD Vet site:

UK Vets FAQ's

Given FF's situation, could I suggest that the communication of what is availble and how the systems in place "mesh" together is made clearer and easily available to all stakeholders, in particular, those that the service is designed to treat?

As an example, and having been through this loop, would somebody from ARRSE like to draft an "Overview" of mental health services in relation to military service and an explanation of how the CMT / NHS CMT / GP's and Combat Stress pass information and patients to each other, with a couple of simple flow-charts - indicating routes and desired outcomes through the system?

This is not a bleat - but I don't think I am the only one who is unclear on this area. It also strikes me that many GP's are confused in how to best treat / refer vets.
  9. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

You have a good point. My GP is an EX RAF doc who, due to bizarre circumstances was the doc who diagnosed by problem back in the late 80's and he is clueless on how to get me back in the system snell like.
  10. Ah, not only me!

I think part of this, is the referal mechanism, and the need for "who" does the referring.

The other concern that I have here is the time-delay resulting from this bouncing around, and therefore the delay in treatment. A realistic expectation of how soon, a vet goes from GP's consulting room, to sitting in front of somebody who really knows what he / she is doing in relation to experience / expertise is required and should be available nationally. A sort of Soldier's Health SLA?

If it were not for advice given to me throuh ARRSE from The Monstar earlier this year, I would still be attending "Happy Club" every Thursday afternoon. So cheers Mons! :)
  11. would have been nice to have been told, all I was told was that Id get a referral very soon because they really needed to get it sorted before I left!
  12. guys,

Suggest - if you have access - get onto ArmyNet and post these in the CGS site that Hitback has been running with - there is a SO1 who is extremley good at putting these issues to CGS
  13. Thanks GP3 - I no longer have access - perhaps if you do, you could do the honours?

Given the "spotlight" which the closure of dedicated facilities / NHS responsibilities for mil pers has, there should be a clear set of instructions available to all. If such a blueprint does exist, then it is yet another example of pizzpoor communication of the message.

It is too easy at present for individuals to be "lost in the system" whilst the most arcane systems try to talk to each other. The worst of this, is that with effective information management and communicatations, more vets would get better quicker.
  14. Attached Files:

15. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

AB I suggest you get your self access which I managed without to much problem. As GP states the SO1 who links into the thread is making things happen.