• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Veterans Fund must pay Mod £10.000

This really is p$ssing me off :pissedoff:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/02/19/narmy19.xml

Veterans' fund must pay MoD £10,000

By Thomas Harding, Defence Correspondent
Last Updated: 1:16am GMT 19/02/2007

An army charity could lose £10,000 from a fund-raising event because it has to pay the Ministry of Defence for using the grounds of the Royal Military Acadamy at Sandhurst.

Politicians condemned the Whitehall accountants as "penny-pinching Scrooges" for charging the Army Benevolent Fund, which buys wheelchairs for injured soldiers and gives aid to servicemen's widows and families.

The charity raised more than £100,000 from last September's three-day Fire on Water spectacular at Sandhurst, attended by 19,000 people, each paying £27.50.

There was a son et lumière, co-ordinated by Major Sir Michael Parker, the man behind the Golden Jubilee, and the celebrity guests, many of whom did not charge for their appearances, included Patti Boulaye, Dame Judi Dench and Dame Vera Lynn.

Liam Fox, the shadow defence secretary, said: "Those who gave generously to support veterans and their families will be disgusted to find their money is ending up in Government coffers."

In a reply to a parliamentary question, Derek Twigg, the minister for Veterans' Affairs, said: "The fact that a charity is to be the main beneficiary is not sufficient justification to set charges aside."

This Deek Twigg is a total arrse :threaten:

"The fact that a charity is to be the main beneficiary is not sufficient justification to set charges aside."
I see he was careful to leave "Service" out of the sentence, so giving the impression it was 'just another charity'

Wretch.

Come on now - be reasonable. It's only fair that MoD should be reimbursed when people use its resources. Even the Queen has to pay to use her own 'Royal Flight'.

When Tony and Cherie went on holiday to Egypt they used an RAF jet. Cost to the RAF was £100,000 How much did they have to pay? Err, well actually nothing at all if my memory still serves me.

OK, that was necessary for Tony's security. What about when Margaret 'Queen of the Air Miles' Beckett whistles up the RAF to fly her back home to Leeds when she's been in Brussels. She must chip in for that. Oh, no she doesn't does she?

OK, Eurostar is full of common people these days and no self respecting Foreign Minister would be seen dead on a train (unless they had a camera crew in tow - in which case it'd be a second class return please).

We can therefore let Margaret off with her fondness for traveling in a near empty BAE-146 airliner.

What about when Cherie had her mum taken on holiday by the RAF shortly after the 1997 election. Gayle Booth doesn't even work for the government does she? Can you guess how much the Blairs coughed up out of their joint income of nearly half a million quid a year?

Sent this to the Bliar Project at No 10.

Visit No 10's web-site & send them a message :frustrated:

During a period of time when your government is under attack on a regular basis over its handling of the armed forces, why would your government charge The Army Benevolent Fund, a service charity, for using the grounds of The Royal Military Acadamy Sandhurst?

If this is to stand, does it follow that you and your ministers will also now pay for using military transport for official and non-official duties?

Ancient_Mariner said:
Come on now - be reasonable. It's only fair that MoD should be reimbursed when people use its resources. Even the Queen has to pay to use her own 'Royal Flight'.

When Tony and Cherie went on holiday to Egypt they used an RAF jet. Cost to the RAF was £100,000 How much did they have to pay? Err, well actually nothing at all if my memory still serves me.

OK, that was necessary for Tony's security. What about when Margaret 'Queen of the Air Miles' Beckett whistles up the RAF to fly her back home to Leeds when she's been in Brussels. She must chip in for that. Oh, no she doesn't does she?

OK, Eurostar is full of common people these days and no self respecting Foreign Minister would be seen dead on a train (unless they had a camera crew in tow - in which case it'd be a second class return please).

We can therefore let Margaret off with her fondness for traveling in a near empty BAE-146 airliner.

What about when Cherie had her mum taken on holiday by the RAF shortly after the 1997 election. Gayle Booth doesn't even work for the government does she? Can you guess how much the Blairs coughed up out of their joint income of nearly half a million quid a year?
Nearly bit :thumleft:

But then I read your post properly :winkrazz:

I'm absolutely furious! I took some of my family to the Saturday show and we were so impressed with everyone's efforts, happily buying raffle tickets and programmes, hoping to swell the coffers a little more. Words honestly fail me when trying to sum up my feelings about this government. :pissedoff:

I had this a couple of years ago for a major function. Basically DE charge for deprecation of the land and costs regardless of whats actually going on. They are the most jobsworth civil servants out there (and I say that as a CS) and refuse to budge on this ever for fear of setting a precedent. It is an absolute disgrace and utterly inexcusable.

Englishspringer said:

During a period of time when your government is under attack on a regular basis over its handling of the armed forces, why would your government charge The Army Benevolent Fund, a service charity, for using the grounds of The Royal Military Acadamy Sandhurst?

If this is to stand, does it follow that you and your ministers will also now pay for using military transport for official and non-official duties?
Hats off to you ES i would not be able to compose such a piece under the circumstances. It would end up being punctuated with expletives not even fit to be posted on ARRSE.

dingerr said:
Englishspringer said:

Hats off to you ES i would not be able to compose such a piece under the circumstances. It would end up being punctuated with expletives not even fit to be posted on ARRSE.
I agree; I will follow up tomorrow. Bloody Government - they are really getting to me.

Litotes

What a lot of penny pinching Scrooges they are. They seem to be so thick skinned they can't even see that it is another dagger in their political coffin. Music On Fire was an excellent night. Well done the BL

Englishspringer said:
Just getting them to pay tax would be a good start. If you or I ran up a 100 grand bill using the company jet for holidays, it would be taxed as a 'benefit in kind'. Gordon would send you a bill for £40,000.

Same goes for the chauffeur driven ministerial jags, grace and favour appartments, free first class rail travel, wine from Whitehall's private cellar that's worth £2,000 a bottle etc, etc, etc.

If you or I got this from our employer, we'd be taxed on it. MPs aren't taxed because Gordon signs exemption certificates for them every year. It's literally one law for them and a different law for the rest of us.

Just got over a rant about the airline hijack! Had a cup of coffee and my heartrate was down to about normal and I saw this thread :pissedoff:

Have these barstewards absolutely no morals at all? Don't waste your time answering - the question was rhetorical. I am absoulutely disgusted.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Without wishing to upset everyone on this Board - although I probably will - this sounds like a pretty sly bit of work by the ABF.

They will have signed a contract to use the site, in which costs of use will have been stated. To come back later and attempt to blackmail the MoD to waive this fee seems a pretty bad bit of a cheek.

If they didn't like it, they shouldn't have signed the contract - they were of course free to put on this event anywhere they wished! They are using public sympathy to try arm-twist the DE, and the main result will be that the DE will look pretty warily at any efforts by the ABF to use MoD sites in future.

Latest Threads