Veterans Day Parade 2006 USA

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Nov 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

This is a picture of my Special Forces Association, Chapter XVI (16) marching down Main St. in Auburn, WA., USA. Taken, yesterday on Veterans' Day 2006.

The Chapter is being led by the Chapter President. The South Vietnames flag is carried by an Associate member, a former SVN SEAL, who won the US Navy Cross. We have many former South Vietnamese, Special Forces and Commandos as associate members.

The 'uniform' is the uniform worn for dress occassions by the Special Forces Association.

2. Our parade in San Jose was a lot larger than I thought it would be, indeed, it's the largest in Northern California. Took about two hours for everyone to pass by.

Ran into one of my old NCOs I hadn't seen in a while walking beside one of the HMMWVs. Walked alongside him and caught up with news, next thing I know we're passing in front of the reviewing stand. "Ooops... eyes right!"

We used to provide a tank, but they've stopped that. Apparently they're worried about it ripping up the roads or something.

3. Nice pic! I showed the Tankie this pic and his response was: "Why are they all wearing berets and blaz-- oh!" :D

Killjoys. Like Cal Trans or Public Works have anything better to do.
  4. Sorry if this seems a bit of a bone question, Trippy, but in the front rank of the main body, one chappie's got his rifle on the left shoulder and the other on the right shoulder. Is that just for the symmetry?

Very smart turnout, by the way. The lads look well impressive!

5. Primarily.

I've seen it both ways, but it seems the current-service Army policy is 'same shoulder'

There's probably an FM which lists it in writing one way or the other, I'll see if I can't track it down.

6. Nice pic. God knows there's enough Vietnamese in the Seattle area they'd be a few old SOF ARVN types around. I should have went to Auburn that day, I ended up at the Aircraft Museum.
  7. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Yes, we have a number of former South Vietnamese Special Forces and Commandoes that are associate members of the Special Forces Assn.

We also have (1) former South Vietnames SEAL member Kiet Van Nguyen, who was awarded the US Navy Cross for his part in the opeation named 'Bat-21," in Vietnam. The American SEAL he accompanied was awarded the MOH.

Here is Kiet and his wife Thuy before the parade. He marched with us in the parade.

8. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I didn't even notice that! I really don't know why, it could be as you pointed out symmetry. Or, as I recall that 9 + pound M-1 Garand rifle's trigger guard, starts to dig into ones shoulder on long parades. I'll ask the one carrying the rifle.

I remember marching in the 4th of July parade in Tokyo, Japan in 1947 (A very long parade.) it got pretty painful. Our CO had us do Left shoulder arms and back to Right shoulder arms a few time during the parade. (We also had the bayonet attached.) No such command as issued in this parade.

Keep in also keep in mind that American Special Forces units are not known for their expertise in Drill & Ceremonies. :p

They seldom practice such things, until they have to do it for a change of command ceremony or some other such ceremony. :roll:
  9. Another great pic. It's a shame that he wasn't in the movie... or even hinted at.

Ah Hollywood :roll: