Veteran's Card Discounts?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Zero_Over, May 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Defence Secretary, in amongst all of his "let's appease everyone on the same day as announcing more MOD cuts" guff, has announced plans for a Veteran's Card "allowing discounts and privileges."

Any ideas what sort of discounts ARRSErs would like to see on offer?
    10% off a flat-pack Sh*d, for example?

2. It will be mainly the same type of discounts that we already get while serving. 10% off whatever, exclusive to MOD personnel, their immediate family, their extended family, etc. The same discounts that are usually offered to members of unions, students, coppers, nurses, uncle Tom Cobbey etc. In fact usually by haggling you can get your 10% off no matter who you are.

3. Flat pack shed??????????????????????????????????

handy for keeping the sun off????

4. Stacker yet again you speak words of wisdom that belie what other say of you. Indeed the whole Forces discount is a figmant of MODs fevered imagination. As you say most of these "exclusive discounts" can be got by almost anyone, additionally in many instances when you ask for Forces discount you get a totally blank look and a "I'll have to ask my manager, he's not here at the moment, would you like to come back later".

5. Agreed, they will add 20% on and take 10% off. Better haggle yourself and don't bother with it at all. Any of these type of offers I can't recall gaining from.

6. It's ok for Dave to promise these discounts, but how on earth would he ever be able to ensure it actually happened? (Short of turning the veteran's card into some sort of Nectar card, that is)

7. PM me if your in north east and looking for a good deal on floor coverings!

8. Is that a coded message for "I'll get rid of any bodies for you"?

9. If their fresh maybe,

10. 50% alcohol and 'ethnic cuisine' discount will do me. I'm not really fussed about anything else.

11. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Watched the debate with interest as I received a letter from him just over a month ago stating it would never happen as he thought it was a waste of time. I have received very good discounts from BA, Virgin and BMI however I have never tried B&Q for a flat pack shed - thanks for the tip.

12. BA and BMI? Now I'd buy that for a dollar. Are you still in, or will they fall for any old cnut swinging the lantern?

13. It never occurred to me to approach BA, Virgin and BMI for a shed. I've boarded a few...

14. Let's be clear most schemes offering discounts have an inflated price to start with. A subsidy is a different matter.