Veteran's Card Discounts?

The Defence Secretary, in amongst all of his "let's appease everyone on the same day as announcing more MOD cuts" guff, has announced plans for a Veteran's Card "allowing discounts and privileges."

Any ideas what sort of discounts ARRSErs would like to see on offer?
10% off a flat-pack Sh*d, for example?

The Defence Secretary, in amongst all of his "let's appease everyone on the same day as announcing more MOD cuts" guff, has announced plans for a Veteran's Card "allowing discounts and privileges."

Any ideas what sort of discounts ARRSErs would like to see on offer?
10% off a flat-pack Sh*d, for example?
It will be mainly the same type of discounts that we already get while serving. 10% off whatever, exclusive to MOD personnel, their immediate family, their extended family, etc. The same discounts that are usually offered to members of unions, students, coppers, nurses, uncle Tom Cobbey etc. In fact usually by haggling you can get your 10% off no matter who you are.

It will be mainly the same type of discounts that we already get while serving. 10% off whatever, exclusive to MOD personnel, their immediate family, their extended family, etc. The same discounts that are usually offered to members of unions, students, coppers, nurses, uncle Tom Cobbey etc. In fact usually by haggling you can get your 10% off no matter who you are.
Stacker yet again you speak words of wisdom that belie what other say of you. Indeed the whole Forces discount is a figmant of MODs fevered imagination. As you say most of these "exclusive discounts" can be got by almost anyone, additionally in many instances when you ask for Forces discount you get a totally blank look and a "I'll have to ask my manager, he's not here at the moment, would you like to come back later".

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Agreed, they will add 20% on and take 10% off. Better haggle yourself and don't bother with it at all. Any of these type of offers I can't recall gaining from.

It's ok for Dave to promise these discounts, but how on earth would he ever be able to ensure it actually happened? (Short of turning the veteran's card into some sort of Nectar card, that is)

50% alcohol and 'ethnic cuisine' discount will do me. I'm not really fussed about anything else.

Watched the debate with interest as I received a letter from him just over a month ago stating it would never happen as he thought it was a waste of time. I have received very good discounts from BA, Virgin and BMI however I have never tried B&Q for a flat pack shed - thanks for the tip.

BA and BMI? Now I'd buy that for a dollar. Are you still in, or will they fall for any old cnut swinging the lantern?

Watched the debate with interest as I received a letter from him just over a month ago stating it would never happen as he thought it was a waste of time. I have received very good discounts from BA, Virgin and BMI however I have never tried B&Q for a flat pack shed - thanks for the tip.
It never occurred to me to approach BA, Virgin and BMI for a shed. I've boarded a few...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
supermatelot The Intelligence Cell 29
Condor Charities and Welfare 4
D The NAAFI Bar 3