Veterans barred from wearing medal

Thousands of veterans of the war in Borneo in the 1950s and 1960s who have recently received special medals from the Malaysian Government will be barred from wearing them at Remembrance Day services this Sunday.

Last week alone, hundreds of ex-soldiers who fought communist rebels in the jungles of Borneo were presented with the Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM) medal,
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2821106.ece

So who stops them wearing them and whats the penalty?

Something you wouldn't understand. PRIDE.

There may be some that wear the medals, but if this is not sanctioned by the powers that be, some veterans may feel it will be somewhat akin to wearing medals for campaigns they were never involved in.

I would suspect that most veterans would not wear medals that have not been officially awarded as they would feel nervous and afraid that someone in the know would question them about the medal and thus cause great embaressment.

In the Indian Army, general service medals are for those who have served in operational areas (since in India, the insurgency areas are operational) and the Campaign medals for for specific campaigns that are fought in the operational areas.

Foreign medals for some campaign or the other is also permitted and worn the the lowest order of precedence.

General Service, per se, I presume, would not identify the person to a specific campaign worth note and hence the Malaysian medal possibly would indicate the actual combat service that the person had rendered.

Trouble being any medal that has a ribbon that looks like an RLC stable belt is bound to attract attention.

dingerr said:
There may be some that wear the medals, but if this is not sanctioned by the powers that be, some veterans may feel it will be somewhat akin to wearing medals for campaigns they were never involved in.
Is it fcuk. They have been awarded a medal for a campagne they were in. They haven't just bought it down the market.

That it isn't sanctioned is all well and good, but who will enforce it? They can't do anything about walts wearing medals they didn't win, so what can they do about heros wearing medals they DID.

The medal falls in to the same category as the Kuwaiti throwing star, they handed out for Granby. If "bling" medals can be bought and worn, to represent service, this can be worn surely.

cpunk

LE
There is nothing to stop veterans wearing this medal other than 'etiquette' and no sanction could be applied that I'm aware of.

It's worth noting that the vast majority of these veterans will already have received a GSM (or just the clasp) for 'Malaya', 'Brunei' or 'Borneo'. While it's nice to get a second medal from a foreign government, the general impression given in most of these stories is that 'these poor old boys aren't recognised by their own government, and they aren't even allowed to wear the Malaysian medal...', which just isn't true.

dingerr said:

I would suspect that most veterans would not wear medals that have not been officially awarded as they would feel nervous and afraid that someone in the know would question them about the medal and thus cause great embaressment.
A bit of a strong reaction there. Wearing a medal for campaign service that you did not do is nothing like wearing a genuinely earned medal from a foreign government.

It would be a bit crass to wear that medal alongside a GSM awarded for the same reason though.

This is no different to Op Granby vets not wearing Saudi or Kuwaiti issued medals. These were accepted by the UK government as a memento only. Malaysian vets have already recieved their recognition from the government by the award of the GSM and Clasp.

The National Malaysia and Borneo Veterans Association has al the info on the "Pingat Jasa Malasia", which can, it appears, be worn. ut only on Special occasions. But then who is going to tel a "Vet" to take down his well earned gong, I reckon anyone who tried it might get a mouthfull of knuckles. Just musing tho, just musing.

Mr Happy

LE
wood_gnome said:
I have seen one of the Yeoman Warders at the tower of london wearing the Saudi/Kuwaiti ribon on his official uniform.
Ditto and elsewhere!

Probably the worst case I've seen similar to this is where an individual wore a Silver Jubilee minature even though he was never awarded it. Obviously the stingy awarding of Silvers (won't repeat the story) was pants and the tailor for the individual concerned just tagged it on as it was his opinion the MOD and not HRH would have an issue and they can go facking swing.

Which is probably correct but 'wrong'.. Thoughts?

Perturbed said:
dingerr said:

A bit of a strong reaction there. Wearing a medal for campaign service that you did not do is nothing like wearing a genuinely earned medal from a foreign government.

It would be a bit crass to wear that medal alongside a GSM awarded for the same reason though.
Ditto. Dingerr is it necessary to state that Armchair Jihad does not understand PRIDE as the first thing you say in your response? Are you some sort of Guru with God's gift at interpreting PRIDE. I think an apology is in order Dingerr.

raggedy said:
The National Malaysia and Borneo Veterans Association has al the info on the "Pingat Jasa Malasia", which can, it appears, be worn. ut only on Special occasions. But then who is going to tel a "Vet" to take down his well earned gong, I reckon anyone who tried it might get a mouthfull of knuckles. Just musing tho, just musing.
The official UK position is at;

http://www.veterans-uk.info/medals/pingat.html

Mr Happy

LE
FARMBOY said:
Perturbed said:
dingerr said:

Ditto. Dingerr is it necessary to state that Armchair Jihad does not understand PRIDE as the first thing you say in your response? Are you some sort of Guru with God's gift at interpreting PRIDE. I think an apology is in order Dingerr.
Ditto, but then I suppose that there's some history between those two posters somewhere. Perhaps Dingerr has never won a gong and can't tell teh difference between the rights to wear and the rights to earn.. Or is he just coming across like that?

FARMBOY said:
Yes because AJ is a cnut. This is a long running feud, which in large is due to AJ slagging me off about my service to HM, when it is transparent that he has done none himself.

Also his constant slash and paste of matters, many irrelevant to the Army is at best annoying, he offers no insight or military opinion on the subject posted, because he has none - He is an ARRSE WALT.

Just look at the original post for this thread. A very short piece in the Times (admittedly normally reliable). However it had no depth or supporting facts and appears to me just a crass article designed to rile public opinion at this time of year possibly in an attemp to endear itself to its readers. I am v. disappointed with the times.

chocolate_frog said:
dingerr said:
Is it fcuk. They have been awarded a medal for a campagne they were in. They haven't just bought it down the market.

That it isn't sanctioned is all well and good, but who will enforce it? They can't do anything about walts wearing medals they didn't win, so what can they do about heros wearing medals they DID.

The medal falls in to the same category as the Kuwaiti throwing star, they handed out for Granby. If "bling" medals can be bought and worn, to represent service, this can be worn surely.
C_F point taken it was a rather clumsy post which i did last night. Cpunk put it as i should have and mention ettiquette.

Apologies.

dingerr said:
FARMBOY said:
Yes because AJ is a cnut. This is a long running feud, which in large is due to AJ slagging me off about my service to HM, when it is transparent that he has done none himself.

Also his constant slash and paste of matters, many irrelevant to the Army is at best annoying, he offers no insight or military opinion on the subject posted, because he has none - He is an ARRSE WALT.

Just look at the original post for this thread. A very short piece in the Times (admittedly normally reliable). However it had no depth or supporting facts and appears to me just a crass article designed to rile public opinion at this time of year possibly in an attemp to endear itself to its readers. I am v. disappointed with the times.
O.K so it is a long running feud. I have found AJ to be a major supporter of military charities and causes. I have not been aware of the dispute between you and feel that AJ whatever his status does understand the meaning of PRIDE.

Just my p.o.v

Cheers

FB

dingerr said:
FARMBOY said:
Long running feud? First I have heard of it, glad to hear that your rabid anti Americanism has been replaced by focusing on me….I shall quake at shadows from now on, however shall I be able to sleep?…but then I love a good feud and now I know I have one, well…

The only interaction we have ever had was when I objected to a MOD about you attacking Trip Wire constantly in the most abusive terms outside the NAAFI; he is a senior decorated Veteran with outstanding combat experience, its obvious that you are you are not. This complaint must have been upheld because you stopped your behaviour.

as to

‘AJ slagging me off about my service to HM’

I have called you a shiny arse and mentioned that you were familiar with sharpened pencils – all while you were playing the internet hardman against Trip Wire.

The fact that this throw away comment evidently rankles after all of this time is perhaps because its true…

PM me if you want to take it further :D

FARMBOY said:
O.K so it is a long running feud.
Actually this is the first I have heard of it, see my post above

FARMBOY said:
and feel that AJ whatever his status does understand the meaning of PRIDE.

Just my p.o.v

Cheers

FB
Awww shucks...hugs....