• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Veterans Badges

Any sightings of the new official Veterans Badges?

I think the first recipients were quite rightly to be WW2 veterans taking part in this year's commemorations, with the issue being extended soon to those leaving the services.

WW2 veterans' badge applications being coordinated by the British Legion, although of course not restricted to Legion members.

I happened to be speaking this weekend to the local secretary of a major WW2 veterans organisation, who mentioned that although his branch had submitted applications they had not heard anything yet.

Leaving things a bit late for planned commemorations starting in May? Sounds familiar somehow. I wonder if anyone has heard anything more.

hackle said:
Ivor Caplin launches Veterans Badge

MOD said:
10 May 2004

Ivor Caplin, Minister for Veterans will today launch the Veteran's Badge. The badge, developed in consultation with veterans' organisations, is intended to reinforce the veterans' identity and to help the wider public recognise veterans.

The badge is a lapel badge intended for wear on civilian attire.
Seen, but I can't understand the fuss. I know I'm going to get A LOT of flak for this but it only seems to honour the WW2 veterans, not everyone else. If I have missed the point then I apologise.

KnifeFightingMonkey said:
Seen, but I can't understand the fuss. I know I'm going to get A LOT of flak for this but it only seems to honour the WW2 veterans, not everyone else. If I have missed the point then I apologise.
Priority was supposed to go to the WW2 (and WW1) veterans for maybe obvious reasons but I think it has already been decided to issue it to new leavers starting some time this year, and "depending on demand" they may make it available to post-WW2 veterans.

Again thats great but I'm not sure if they deserve a badge. More or less everyone in the forces is a veteran of one campaign or another. It's like I said, I don't want to knock anyone but why give them a badge?

hackle said:
Priority was supposed to go to the WW2 (and WW1) veterans for maybe obvious reasons but I think it has already been decided to issue it to new leavers starting some time this year, and "depending on demand" they may make it available to post-WW2 veterans.
Sorry. you got the post in before me. I understand now. :D

Again thats great but I'm not sure if they deserve a badge. More or less everyone in the forces is a veteran of one campaign or another. It's like I said, I don't want to knock anyone but why give them a badge?
I will take that as a no to my request for information then! :wink: Perhaps someone will know.

Anyone got any more info about these badges? Basically wondering what is happening about distributing badges to WW2 veterans in time for this year's 60th anniversary commemorations which start in May.

And no, I am not a WW2 veteran :wink:

I expect that the WW2 veterans will somehow manage the 60th anniversary commemorations with or without these badges.

It doesnt really answer my original question, but for those who were wondering what badges I was on about, this is from Hansard, written answers, 7th April:

Veterans Lapel Badge

Mr. Andrew Turner: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence for what reasons veterans of Suez and other conflicts since the Second World War are ineligible to receive the Veterans Lapel Badge inscribed with the words HM Armed Forces Veterans; and if he will take steps to include this group of former servicemen and women amongst those eligible for this badge.

Mr. Caplin: All veterans who served in the First or Second World Wars, and widow(er)s whose spouse served during those wars and died as a result of service in the armed forces and who are accordingly in receipt of a war widow(er)'s pension are currently entitled to receive a Veterans Badge. Also, with effect from 1 February 2005 servicemen and women who now leave the Service, subject to certain conditions, are also entitled.

When the demand from World War veterans has been satisfied, we plan to extend eligibility to other veterans as resources allow. It is envisaged that this will be done on a chronological basis, dealing first with veterans of the inter-war years and those who served in the 1940s after the end of the Second World War. Veterans who served in the 1950s, which includes those who served in Korea and Suez, will be included in the following tranche.

Hansard source

I think it is a brill idea it should have happened a long time ago.The yanks look after their vets,why don't we?.No one in civi street gives a monkeys about us ex-service/service bods until their own butt is on the line.

tankie88 said:
I think it is a brill idea it should have happened a long time ago.The yanks look after their vets,why don't we?.No one in civi street gives a monkeys about us ex-service/service bods until their own butt is on the line.
Good, MoD please note. I personally think its quite a nice idea. Although not quite sure when I would actually wear it, if I got one.

I suppose the people who might appreciate it most are those who put in many years service in times gone by, but never got any medal. Nice for them, I hope, to be able to wear it at Remembrance Sunday parades and the like.

super. lets go the way of the yanks and have another badge. instead of giving veterans something worthwhile like say, a council tax reduction or a larger winter fuel payment, lets fob them off with a badge that probably costs pence to make.

why not go the whole hog and give them a t-shirt as well?

Latest Threads