Veterans Badges; another medal office type shambles?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by maninblack, Oct 31, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

In the latest MOD Defence Contracts Bulletin is a requirement under

"Possible Future Purchase CBC/1A/0109
    Provision of her Majesty's Forces Veteran's Badges

The ministry of Defence may have a possible future requirement for the manufacture and supply of HM Armed Forces Veteran Lapel badges to the specification detailed below for a four year period......"

Does this mean that although they have been offering these to certain veterans for the last few months the things don't even exist or are they just going for a bigger buy?

Does anyone know of any veteran who has actually received a badge yet?

2. What consitutes a veteran? Why do we need a badge? Why now? Is someone in Government feeling guilty?

3. maninblack

It is the MOD's attempt to make it look like they are remotely interested in what happens to ex-forces people.

In the Netherlands and the USA ex forces get benefits and small perks, over here you get first choice of a pool of urine under Hungerford bridge.

4. Instead of giving stupid and cheap badges,they should seriously look at the constant struggle by veterans on the measly pathetic War Pension and Benefits they give to those vets who have sustained injuries whilst in service.They can waste Billions on a War in Iraq and Afghanistan which they will never win anyway,and waste billions of pounds on cancelled procurement programmes,they could afford an exceptionally large increase to our pensions.

5. "Veterans' Badge launched by MoD

The Minister for Veterans, Ivor Caplin MP, launched a new Veterans' Badge in May as part of the continuing commemoration of the 60th anniversaries associated with World War ll. The new badge, designed to be worn the lapel of civilian attire of former service personnel, has been developed in association with veterans' organisations and is intended to help the wider public recognise veterans and the contribution they made. Veterans of World War l are also eligible to receive the badge and if there is sufficient demand, consideration may be given to extending eligibility to veterans of more recent campaigns.

Applications should be sent in writing to Terry Marsh Ministry of Defence Ground Floor St. Georges Court 2 -12 Bloomsbury Way London. WC1A 2SH."

It would appear from this that it's a WWII thing.

6. Mate, it's a load of tosh isn't it? They don't give a monkeys, just an excuse to waste more money on spin and trying to behave honourably. Cnuts!

7. maninblack

I completely agree with you.

The idea is to roll this out through Korean veterans until they are standard issue to everyone who leaves after 5 or more years IIRC.

8. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

The Veteran's Badge is intended for ALL who have completed five year's Service.

I just hope that it is not being dealt with by the Tri-Service Medals Office....

Still waiting for TELIC, ACSM, Etc...

Couple of Hansard Quotes about it:

20 Jan 2005 : Column 1041
    I hope the House will agree that the veteran's lapel badge, which Members will note is worn by many of their veteran constituents, has been a tremendous success. Indeed, more than 35,000 have been dispatched since its launch last May. From 1 February, I am extending the badge's availability to second world war widows, but I want to go further still. Transition from service to civilian life is an important area of policy for the Ministry of Defence, so I am announcing that from 1 February a veteran's badge will be included as part of the leavers' packs, subject to certain conditions. I hope that that reinforces the high esteem in which the country holds, and the thanks that we owe to, those who fought 60 years ago, along with today's armed forces personnel, who do such a first-class job.

5 Jul 2005 : Column 260W
    Discharged Service Personnel
    Mr. Moore: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence whether personnel who have been discharged under Queen's Regulations 9.413 and 9.414 are eligible for the Veteran's Badge. [9625]
    Mr. Touhig: Service personnel discharged under Queen's Regulations for the Army 1975 section 9.413 will be eligible to receive a HM Armed Forces Veteran's Badge if they have completed at least five years reckonable service. Those who leave under the terms of section 9.414 will not be eligible for a badge. (I have no idea, here at home today, what Sections 9.413 and 9.414 are, however...)

9. I have a veterans badge!!!!

Mind you it just happens that I have a contact who had a few hundred sat in abox in his office.

Never seen one worn by anyone and they look like boy scout badges.

However, they are cheep, easy to mass produce and can be issued in boxes of 500. Could this be the future for medals - replacement with a Blue Peter Badge?

10. Can I be the first to offer support to this statement ?

This is probably the way that all these things are going to go, allowing civil servants to meet targets that are actually achievable!!

The whole veterans issue was done to death in the 2 (UK) civd div thread about 2 years ago. The government will need to do a bit more than issue a lapel pin to step up to the best-practice and standards that have been achieved by some other "allied" nations for their armed forces.

11. Excellent

Now the walts can purchase off ebay something to give credence to their bar room claims and display for all to see

12. Pointless, gash cr*p generated for exactly the same reason I had a whole range of flashy badges made for my security guards in blackest Heart of Darkness country: it made them feel good without me (or my stony-hearted bean-counter) having to pay them any more. Those chaps, however, were not of the same stock as the average UK ex-serviceman/woman, and I'd be disappointed in the extreme if the stupid things gained any credibility.

Sorry if I sound like Gerald Ratner, but he was right, too.

13. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I thought it was Waterloo Station arches......

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Time to look again at your signature!

15. Do UK veterans get things like war service home loans and business grants etc?