Veterans Badge

Ventress

LE
I read recently left soldiers are receiving this. My old man who served 3 years in Burma, 1942-45 has his.

Are the MoD issueing to recently retired duffers like me?

If you look on the Veteran's Agency web site, you will find that you have had to serve before 1959 to receive the badge

I got mine having left in july 06 (20 yrs) wear it on my new McDonalds uniform with all of my medals and my 1 star for cleaning the bogs,would you like fries with that sir?

You have to be discharged after the qualification dates 01 Feb 05 to be eligiable and you have to have 5 years reconable service upon discharge, the Government are looking at changing the criterea for eligiability to include all service leavers, oh, and you can't get one if you have been discharged for disciplinary reasons, drugs etc and if you are Medicaly Discharged you get one regardless of time served.

Oh yeh, Codger, it's not been published on the Veterans Agency site, the Veterans Agency are only dealing with the issue of badges for the old boys who served up until 1959, Discharges at the Army Personnel deal with the issue of badges to guys discharged after Feb 2005 who fill the eligiablilty criterea.

Between 1959 and 2005 eligiability has yet to be decided, I am led to believe that it's on the cards, however, the Veterans Agency dont decide the Policy for eligiability, they just implement it, Policy comes from MOD.

http://www.veteransagency.mod.uk/vets_badge/vets_badge.htm

just phoned them....

You must have enlisted prior to 1960.

Med discharges, ugly birds and mad hatters do not receive it at present but it is under review.... call them yourselfs - thats the gospel at present! (I must have too much time on my hands)!

oldbaldy

LE
fingers_1661 said:
...its an ugly thing to look at. I'd rather wear the badge of my parent unit or that of the RBL.
There again I have seen blazers with Veterans Badge, RBL Badge & Regt Assn Badge (sometimes more then one of these) add medals & it not surprising some old boys slump over to the left.

I have it on good authority from APC Discharges that Med Disharges will receive the badge, if dicharged after Feb 2005 regardless of time served. again, the Veterans Agency do not deal with them, it's APC. I issue the badges where I am at present and had to call them to seek clarification on this issue, Admin (Disciplinary) discharges and anyone who has not completed 5 years service after 01 Feb 05 will not recieve them.

LongJohnSilver said:
I have it on good authority from APC Discharges that Med Disharges will receive the badge, if dicharged after Feb 2005 regardless of time served. again, the Veterans Agency do not deal with them, it's APC. I issue the badges where I am at present and had to call them to seek clarification on this issue, Admin (Disciplinary) discharges and anyone who has not completed 5 years service after 01 Feb 05 will not recieve them.

As far as i'm concerned a bloke who's done his time is a veteran regardless of whether he left via the front or back door.

Nice to see that all the cold war warriors get fcuk all again.

Steven said:
Nice to see that all the cold war warriors get fcuk all again.
Our generation have to shell out 30 odd quid to the RBL for a BFG medal. All for a good cause I hasten to add. Have,nt bought one tho as theres something waltish about buying a medal and at the end of the day its only a bit of worthless unofficial tin !!! There was a thread on it sometime ago on here.

LT.

Fingers, I agree with you, all personnel who have completed service, especially in these times and in current climate, including the cold war years/Falkland Islands conflict etc should recieve one, and there are, I believe, moves afoot to facilitate this, I would think that retrospective applications would go through the Veterans Agency once, and if, the policy is changed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Forces Discounts 99
E Medals 40
Spanish_Dave Medals 9